• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Classic not Responding

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to the latest version 7.2 (1156743) and still have the same problem as before. When in the Library module everything I try I get the spinning blue circle and Lightroom showing not responding. This continues for a long time and then comes back to life until I do something else. Such as click on another image, trying using the slidder bars on the images or file system. I am running Windows 10 Pro, with a 256SSD and 1TB hard drive. Lightroom library is on the SSD and the images are on the hard drive. I have 16GB memory on a laptop. All other apps are working fine including Photoshop and Bridge, it is only Lightroom that is virtually unuseable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why aren't Adobe addressing what is clearly a very common problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why aren't Adobe addressing what is clearly a very common problem?"

They very often don't.  Not good business practice, but that's Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for a very long time in the Library module. I have a Dell XPS8900 with quad core intel i7's, windows10 Pro,  2 displays, 2TB internal SSD, 6TB external drives. I don't use graphics processor, don't use face recognition, only write metadata with cntrl S command, have had this problem on three different desktops and 3 versions of windows ( 7, 8 and 10). My cache is set at 50gb and is on the SSD with my catalog, my photo library is on the external 6TB drive. I have lots of spare disk space. It takes 5 - 20 seconds after selecting another photo to keyword before LR is ready with all the keywords and photo information. When selecting multiple photos to click and move to a collection, I have to wiggle the mouse until the photo stack shows before moving the cursor, else it does not work. LR classic CC was left running overnight and I displayed the preferences and then clicked on "purge cache". LR went into the non-responding mode and took about 2 minutes to complete the operation.

If you put the cursor over the LR logo in the systems tray while it is in the non-responding mode, you see many windows flash by. When in the non-responding mode the total computer is of no use for any other task/program as LR keeps changing between non-responding and responding. Somewhere LR is missing or losing I/O completion status and keeps looking for results it has missed. In programming, the normal path code is 20% of the code, the other 80% is error processing. LR has a serious systems programming issue with its muti-threaded processing.

I have to go through "Task manager" once or twice a day to shut down LR Classic CC due to its non responsive behavior. At this point, I have experienced this problem over a hundred times!!! The actions (I/O) that were being processed when LR Classic goes into non-responsive mode appear to always be completed when I restart it, however I have started to detect missing photo files at random places but the .xmp file still exists.

I'm at the point that I'm ready to find another photo processing program. It's an insult to have to pay for this abuse. get me a diagnostic tool and I'll run it to get Adobe some additional data as I encounter this problem with every LR Classic CC use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm at the point that I'm ready to find another photo processing program. It's an insult to have to pay for this abuse. get me a diagnostic tool and I'll run it to get Adobe some additional data as I encounter this problem with every LR Classic CC use."

I own Luminar 2018, and later this year they are adding an image management system to it too compete with LR.  It's an awesome app already, and I'm excited to see how it will compete!  (And they actually have a support staff that replies to you and seems to care)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the times "Not Responding" means there's not sufficient system resource. The amount of resource an application uses while in use is far more than that used while at rest. Many times it requires more than twice the amount of resource while in use than while at rest. It would appear the resource to open the images in the library is limited. Have you tried removing some of the images from the library and see what happens? Probably working from a project folder having just the images you're currently working with. Or remove some of the images from the library. You remove images from the library this way:

1. With the image open, tap the delete key
  2. Chose remove (at the right) on the pop-up dialogue box.

The video  how to remove images from lightroom classic cc library - Bing video  explains how you can remove images from the Lightroom catalogue without removing it from your computer, as well as how to remove it totally from your computer.

Compare your resource with the information at  https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html and see where you require to optimize your resource.

Also you could work in Lightroom while simultaneously having the Task manager up to see if something else is grabbing the CPU intermittently during these “not responding” moments.

Please let us know if this helps.

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Most of the times "Not Responding" means there's not sufficient system resource."

Very powerful iMac, 32GB of memory, no other applications working.  It's an Adobe problem, period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback. I can understand you being extremely annoyed, I would be also. We would really want to see this issue resolved. Assuming it is "Adobe problem", I'm not saying it is since I do not have all the facts, it is important that we gather as much information as possible, thus the troubleshooting. Memory is very important for the performance of all applications, but it is just one of the factors involved. I assume you speak of the physical memory, but there is the virtual memory as well as bus speed, processor speed, hard drive, and or SSD space, as well as compatibility that need to be taken in consideration. What is important about all these, is what is available - available memory, available storage space and so on.  We gather all these information make suggestions, and based on your feedback we see how best to have the problem resolved. It would be very helpful to get your feedback on the suggestions I made in my earlier post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through this and so have others. Not going to do it again.  Here's what you need to know:  When LR is stuck not responding, if you quit it and then restart it, it works great.  So nothing has changed except I've quit and restarted LR. The rest of my computer is the same.

There are many threads on the web that discuss this. Here's one that will explain it to you without me rewriting the pertinent facts.  Note that this all started for people after they installed 7.3, and if they have an external drive attached.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-cc-not-responding-constantl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I saw that earlier today during my research to assist another customer. That was how I came across you, and is one of the reasons I choose to assist you. However to do this I'd need your cooperation. But if you are not up to it, I'll flag your thread message so that I can get back to you in event of a resolution.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disappointing responses.  This is clearly an Adobe issue, yet responses are geared toward user equipment error.

Shameful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry you feel that way. Remember we are not near your system, therefore we are unable to say what your resource is, therefor the questions we ask about your system is to rule out the possibility that your resource is low, or there's an incompatibility, or anything else that might affect the product's performance. If we were by your system, that is what we'd check first, then move on to why the product do not work on your system. I agree there are a large number of people with the issue, but there seem to be a vast number of users of the product without an issue. Even with a fix of the product itself, it is your feedback that is going to provide the information for the fix. I do not really work for Adobe; what I do here is voluntary. Of my 3 decades of working with computers, every time I have slow performance, and "Not Responding" messages, it's my computer resource that has diminished. I optimize the memory, it works better. I reduce the amount of stuff stored on the computer, it performs better. Years ago I usually manually empty the temp file of my computer to optimize performance. After a while I'll find that it's time to change for a new one with more resource. Your resource reduces with use, and constant addition of applications, etc., and if you're like me transfers of files from the old to the new; so we really have to check.

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi slobizman,

We're really sorry for all the frustration due to Lightroom "Not Responding" issue. Could you please share your system info with us? Go to Lightroom > help menu > system info and provide the dialogue information. Are you facing this issue after any specific Lightroom update?

Also, could you please let us know the size of the Lightroom catalog you are using now? Have you tried creating a new Lightroom catalog with some sample images and check the performance?

On what step, Lightroom goes to "Not Responding" error message? Like, when you are editing an image in develop module Or going through images in library module?

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll paste my System Info for you. But it's not a systems issue.  Use some logic here, by taking the time to read the posts in this forum and other forums like the one I linked to in another thread here, you should quickly understand that it started with 7.3, and affects people who have an attached external drive. Period.  Exiting and restarting LR after the Not Responding occurs, tells you it's not a systems issue.  It's very simple.

Also, could you please let us know the size of the Lightroom catalog you are using now? Have you tried creating a new Lightroom catalog with some sample images and check the performance?

This makes no difference.  It's the same size after I exit and restart LR.  But here's the size for you: Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat is 401MB.

No I have not tried to build a new LR catalog, and I'm not going to build one and waste a day leaving LR sitting around unused until it stops responding as it could take up to a day. 

On what step, Lightroom goes to "Not Responding" error message? Like, when you are editing an image in develop module Or going through images in library module?

This is written up all over the forums already. LR is open and not used it a while.  Then I click on the icon in the doc and once in LR anything I click, Develop or Library, hangs the app.

Could you please share your system info with us? Go to Lightroom > help menu > system info and provide the dialogue information

Here's my info:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.6 [17G65]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 4.0 GHz

Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,369.6 MB (7.2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4,882.9 MB

Memory cache size: 33.4MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 976

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 294MB / 16383MB (1%)

Camera Raw real memory: 300MB / 32768MB (0%)

Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: AMD Radeon R9 M395

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Users/mark/Dropbox/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Flickr

5) HDR Efex Pro 2

6) Luminar

7) Luminar 2018

8) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: Built-in Output

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: 10.0x7

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon R9 M395 OpenGL Engine

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 ATI-1.68.20

OGLEnabled: true

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi slobizman,

Thank you for the update. Let me check some more information on this issue from the engineering team and I will get back to you.

There is a ongoing feedback link related to this issue and I see that you have already added your vote/comment to it.

Lightroom Classic 7.3: "Not Responding" Constantly | Photoshop Family Customer Community

In the meanwhile, you can rollback Lightroom to 7.2 version so that you can continue doing your work.

We really appreciate your patience with us.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS MORNING I got a good tech on the phone and thru a screen share he

fixed the issue

ADB-3085772-G3Q9

[private information removed by moderator]

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM Mohit Goyal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"THIS MORNING I got a good tech on the phone and thru a screen share he

fixed the issue"

Are you able to share the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I did not follow all the steps he took to get LR working again, his name was Vinit and I have the case #. If you have access to that maybe the answers are in the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mpt,

As per the case note, you were facing issue with Lightroom 6 and unable to sync images from Lightroom Classic CC.

Which is not related to "Not Responding" issue with Lightroom Classic CC.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the exact same issues with Windows 10. Adobe Lightroom CC instantly freezes and goes Not Responsive right when I load the program. If i try to scroll in the photos, it freezes. If i try to import new photos, it freezes. It all started a few months ago with an update. At this point it's been happening for so long i dont even remember which update it was. Every subsequent update has been met with prayers that this would fix it, but it never has.

Mind you, I run a gaming PC that handles much more demanding programs at much higher settings than Adobe Lightroom that doesn't have any issues at all. Literally, Adobe Lightroom is the ONLY, and let me make this painfully clear, it is the ONLY program that has any issues at all. At this point it doesn't even make sense to keep paying for this.

And let me make myself very, very clear. As Slobizman has reiterated over and over again, THIS IS NOT A SYSTEM ISSUE. THIS IS PURELY AN ADOBE PRODUCT ISSUE. Stop asking for system specs from users that used to use this product perfectly fine until your update botched it all up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gathered some information that might help to diagnose the real issue. Adobe Engineering /QE developed logger tools that can be used by customers to collect data on their system which can then be shared with Adobe. When the logger is running it will collect a bunch of mainly hidden logs that QE can use to identify possible bugs. The logger tool can be accessed from this page Log Collector Tool

I hope this helps

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe has been working at resolving the Lightroom issues. Did you get yours resolved? Check for new updates available, run them and let us know if you've notice any improvement.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jacquelingphoto2017

Unfortunately nothing changed with the update. This is what I did since I am having the exact same problem.

A couple of days ago I bought and installed the CC package after using LR4.4 and PS 6 for some years.

Indeed LR Classic did not respond, same issue. My actions:

Create new catalogs and import all the photos again. LR responded fast and did not crash anymore.

Eventvwr: showed only standard Windows Crash errors. Nothing to gain from there.

Log files: only install logs, so no errors on the crashes.

Taskmgr: Memory usage 2,6 from 6, CPU hardly anything

What I noticed was that at startup not LR was inresponsive, but an extra window that said: "Shadows not responding"

Further actions:

Automatically save to XMP: off

Cache settings to 20, empty cache

GPU: off

I wasnt even able to turn off the GPU because it crashed when clicking on the option. So I created a new catalog dit NOT import any photos and was able to turn the option off.

Downloaded and installed the updates yesterday

Result no more crashes and a very fast LR. But as soon as I started developping it was very slow and very sloggy.

So my conclusion so far: newly imported photos very fast and responsive.

Developed photos extremely slow, but no more crashes.

Since I work with BNW photos and worried about that "Shadows not responding window" I decided to test if color would be faster since all the newly imported files show in color.

I now set my developed photos back to color and with Edit, Undo back to BNW and to my surprise I can work with them for a while. But if I restart LR again they are extremely slow again. So I repeat the color, edit undo so I can at least develop 🙂

I am a IT admin for 21 years. That doesnt mean I know it all, but I have been trying to narrow the problems down for you a bit and for me of course. It is not a Workstation performance issue.

Question:

What was that "shadows not responding window" and can you look into that?

Why are only the developed photos extremely slow and all the fresh ones super fast

Can other users test if their undeveloped photos are also very fast and the developed ones extremely slow?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i started this thread with Lightroom Classic CC Not Responding. since then there has been a few Lightroom updates including 7.5. I have installed this and the issue still exists for me. I have run the Adobe Logger (LogCollectorTool.exe) but cannot see where to send it to as it did not ask me to email it, it just created the zip file. Could you please let me know where to email it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sulco, same here.  So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RVDWP has found a possible solution (post 52) and might want to share the last details of this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines