• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel HD Graphics 620 with Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 13-5378 i7 16GB RAM.

Hi all I have the above setup, today I noticed that when making adjustments to images in Lightroom there is some kind of screen flicker.  I have managed to disable GPU acceleration but the problem persists.

All my drivers are up to date and it's a brand new laptop.  I've not seen this problem before and all the web posts I have seen suggest disabling GPU, but this has no affect.  Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely a hardware defect. You could try another one of the same model and it may work fine. Let us know how you make out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly does look like it, but I just can't work out why it only happens in Lightroom CC, hence the difficulty in dealing with Dell who say it is (must be) a software issue, especially since all their diagnostic/stress tests pass.  Then Adobe say that the Intel HD Graphics 620 is "not supported", although as it passes the OpenGL test it clearly is, and basically wash their hands of it.  All graphics cards are supported, just not for GPU acceleration for which you would need a really good card to make use of.

I will update with the outcome, I see un-ended threads everywhere on the internet, as soon as a problem is resolved people don't bother finishing them off for others to learn by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the more I thought about it the more I was thinking this was a power issue.  Whilst waiting for replies from Intel and Dell I was looking for some power settings.  The Intel Control Panel offered limited power settings, so I looked at the BIOS.  It was not obvious at first but there is a setting under Performance called “Intel® SpeedStep”.  By disabling this the problem appears to be resolved.  There is no flickering/power cut out and when using an external monitor it does not cut out, even with GPU acceleration ENABLED and Adobe say that GPU is not supported for that.  However with GPU acceleration enable it is rather slow.

Hard to imagine that a feature like this would not have been suspected by Dell or Intel far earlier!

screenshot 22022017.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't be necessary to disable Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS, which will reduce your battery operating time. You should be able to control this in Windows 10 Power Management.

Select 'High-Performance' mode in Windows 10 Power Management and check the 'Advanced Settings.' Make sure the Minimum and Maximum processor states are set to 100% as shown below. If not set them both to 100%, Reboot, and enable SpeedStep in the BIOS. If you still have the flicker issue I suspect your laptop has a hardware or BIOS issue. If battery run-time isn't an issue then disabling SpeedStep is a obviously a viable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have those settings.  Under Processor power management there is only "System cooling policy"

sceenshot220217-1948.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently these settings aren't available if Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS. My processor doesn't support it so not enabled. You can disable it in the BIOS if you aren't using a virtualization app, or at least for test purposes:

Power Options - Add or Remove "Min/Max processor state"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks trshaner, confirmed - I have deactivated virtualisation (whatever that does) and the settings are available.  After setting min/max to 100% and re-enabling SpeedStep the system still appears to be stable with no flickering.  As a test earlier today I had a GPU stress test (fur-something) whilst editing a 51MP image and although slightly sluggish there were no issues whatsoever.

I cannot believe after all this is was a simple checkbox issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that fixes the issue. Having Virtualization Technology enabled in the BIOS shouldn't affect performance, but obviously it does with LR. There are security risks to having it enabled and perhaps potential performance issues as discussed here:

bios - Why does HP recommend that I keep Hardware Virtualization off? - Super User

IMHO this is reason enough to keep it disabled if not needed.

tom1979  wrote

I have deactivated virtualisation (whatever that does)

Virtualization Technology is used primarily for running multiple operating systems concurrently, such as XP Mode or other virtualization software applications. If you're not using any of these applications you don't need Virtualization Technology enabled in the BIOS.

Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode Setup and Installation Guide

Category:Virtualization software - Wikipedia

If confident your flicker issue is resolved please mark your reply #56 as the 'Correct Answer'. This will help others who land here with a similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try updating your BIOS if you have not already done so.

Looks like the most recent update for your Laptop was released Feb 3rd. and release notes say it includes "improved system stability"

The SpeedStep setting you needed to disable may have been fixed?

Either way glad to nice that you have made some headway on the problem the video definitely cleared questions to what you were describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bhousto90  wrote

The SpeedStep setting you needed to disable may have been fixed?

Thank you . Actually, it was determined disabling the BIOS Virtualization Technology setting fixes the issue. Once that was disabled Intel SpeedStep can be enabled without causing the LR to flicker. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the BIOS update is to change the default setting for Virtualization Technology to disabled. Either way I suggest installing the BIOS update.

After thinking about this some more you should also now be able to change Power Management back to the 'Recommended Setting' mode. This allows throttling the CPU clock between 5% and 100% using Intel SpeedStep. It should do so without affecting system performance, run cooler on AC power, and extend battery run-time. After installing the BIOS update try it with the BIOS Virtualization setting disabled and then enabled. It will be interesting to see if the update allows it to be enabled without causing the LR flicker issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all.  I believe Dell updated the BIOS remotely last week but I will double check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the BIOS.  I already had version 1.5.1 installed (dated 16/01/17) and the new one I downloaded was 03/02/17 (also 1.5.1) however the date has not changed.  I am assuming since they are both 1.5.1 they are the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating the BIOS (I think it reinstalled the same one) the flickering was back.  Virtualisation was stilled unchecked so not sure if it was that after all !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that SpeedStep AND Virtualisation both need to be off.

Edit:  Cancel that, there is still flickering!!!!  I cannot believe it.  This laptop must go back I shouldn't have to spend a month fault finding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you download the BIOS update file? The ones listed on Dell's site don't show those dates.

Support for Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1 | Dell US

BIOS (1 file)  

Dell Inspiron 5378/5578/7378/7579/7779 System BIOS

View details

File Name: Inspiron_5378_7378_5578_7579_7779_1.5.1.exe

Description: Windows/DOS (6.16 MB)

Version: 1.5.1 ,A05

Other versions

1.3.0,A03 27 Oct 20168:37:12 AM

01.02.00,A02 22 Sep 20169:57:40 AM

This file will automatically self-install after downloading.

Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so my plan is to try and get Dell to refund me and send the laptop back on the basis that it is not fit for purpose.  If they really wont then I'll give it to someone at work who doesn't use LR (most of our laptops are due an upgrade anyway).  I am also disappointed that they advertise it as the latest i7 processor but in fact, as someone here pointed out, it is only a dual core - this was not mentioned in any paperwork.

Looking for opinions, would this spec be sufficient for LR editing large files?  It works out £818+VAT which is a little more than the Dell I have got.

pc.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tom1979  wrote

It seems that SpeedStep AND Virtualisation both need to be off.

Edit:  Cancel that, there is still flickering!!!!  I cannot believe it.  This laptop must go back I shouldn't have to spend a month fault finding!

The laptop was working without flicker for an extended period of time so it indicates there is some kind of "intermittent" hardware issue. It could be something as simple as processor over-heating. Regardless I'd tell Dell it is a defective laptop and you want a refund. They have a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee Return Policy here in the the USA, but not sure about the UK.

The laptop specs you posted should be OK for LR use. If possible I suggest purchaisng from a source that has a no-quibble return policy. That way you can test it and see for yourself if it's suitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too - only in lightroom, develop mode and only when I use the adjustment brush. The screen flickers and then crashes entirely.  I've had Adobe remote support work on my computer two separate times and it continues to happen. I have updated the intel and dell drivers for my brand new computer too. Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to get remote help again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will try and find a way of adding the video.  It does it more while actually developing images but if left alone in the develop module it will still flicker occaisionally  Dell and Intel strongly suspect this to be a software issue and to be honest a blatant lie is not exactly unheard of with Adobe.

Intel : all their tests passed and various drivers tested - verdict : software issue

Dell : all their tests passed including and advanced GPU check - verdict : software issue (especially as it occurs also in the Task Manager if running)

Adobe : started off saying it was a known issue which would be dealt with in the next update but then when they saw it was the whole screen not just the image window that flickered they said it was a hardware fault and images were not able to be properly rendered.

I have yet to try another monitor due to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. no issue where found with adobe Photoshop, Premiere, Ilustrator, event in all media player when playing a video. but and only with Lightroom and windows task manager with performance tab opened, same symptoms right?

My Laptop is Sony Vaio S Series VPCS116FG.

Intel Processor i5-520M 2.4GHz With Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz

Memory 4 GB

Windows 7 Ultimate

Lightoom ver. 6.5.1

As far my guess is hardware problem. But which one, GPU or LCD? Remembering my warranty was over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrearman  wrote

My Laptop is Sony Vaio S Series VPCS116FG.

Intel Processor i5-520M 2.4GHz With Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz

Memory 4 GB

Windows 7 Ultimate

Lightoom ver. 6.5.1

4 GB memory is going to cause issues running LR and the low-performance i5-520m processor doesn't help. Open the Performance tab with LR flickering and tell us how much 'Available' Physical Memory showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for the fast response. When the Lightroom is running, the available memory are 2249 and the processor is idle (0%)

Oh I forget to mention, the flicker is appear when I only in gallery's tab. In the develop's tab is fine, no flicker show up..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "gallery tab" I assume you mean that the flicker is only occurring in the Library module, correct? To better understand what is happening please explain what view you are using in the Library module (Grid or Loupe) and exactly what you are doing that causes the flicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, correct. I'm using grid view. The flicker occur when my mouse pointer hovering on one of preview image, but sometimes flicker is occurring by itself if I'm in the gallery module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the flicker occurs in Library and Web modules, but not the Develop module. You also say, "but and only with Lightroom and windows task manager with performance tab opened, same symptoms right?" Does the LR flicker stop if Windows Task Manager Performance tab is NOT open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines