• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic catalog won't open (lock file deleted but reappears)

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My SSD fried on my desktop and I had to replace with a new SSD. After reinstalling Windows 10 and Lightroom Classic, I downloaded my Lightroom catalog from an online backup service (I do not have a lightroom backup file only the lcat file - I know, stupid on my part)

I can open Lightroom and create a new catalog, but it freezes when I try to open the catalog in question. I've tried moving the lock file to the bin, uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom, but it will not open and freezes the starting process of opening Lightroom.

I did notice in the Lightroom folder where the catalog resides the lock file reappears and flashes.

Can anyone suggest something I haven't seen in this forum yet?

Thanks so much for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

The lock file gets created when the catalog is opened. The lock file should get deleted when the catalog is closed. Typically the lock file fails to get deleted when LrC crashes or is forced to close. The lock file is created as to prevent multiple instances of the catalog being opened, in use. That is all normal.

If the catalog is closed, (if LrC is closed) and you see no lock file, that is as designed and correct. If the catalog is open (if LrC is running) and you see the lock file, that is as

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lock file gets created when the catalog is opened. The lock file should get deleted when the catalog is closed. Typically the lock file fails to get deleted when LrC crashes or is forced to close. The lock file is created as to prevent multiple instances of the catalog being opened, in use. That is all normal.

If the catalog is closed, (if LrC is closed) and you see no lock file, that is as designed and correct. If the catalog is open (if LrC is running) and you see the lock file, that is as designed and correct. If the catalog is closed (if LrC is not running) and you see a lock file, that is wrong, something is kaput. (typically LrC crashed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock file is supposed to appear when you open LrC.

but it freezes when I try to open the catalog in question

Please provide more explanation here. How far into the opening does it get? What is the exact word-for-word error message? What version NUMBER of LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the identical problem with a catalogue that I can't open. I try to open Lightroom Classic (for this catalogue) but nothing happens. When I check the Windows Task Manager it shows that my Lightroom Classic is in background process, meaning it is in process of trying to open, but it never succeeds in actually opening.

Deleting the .Lock file before attempting to open Lightroom Classic (for this catalogue) does not correct the issue. It attempts to open the program, unsuccessfully, and creates a new .Lock file in the process. This can be repeated in perpetuity.

I can open other catalogues. I can create and use new catalogues. I have reset all my preferences. I have no add-ons, just the vanilla Lightroom Classic, which software is on the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines