• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced.  To test the performance of the new classic update, I imported some raw pictures taken with a Nikon D810/D850 and am noticing that moving from one image to another (all with 1:1 previews) in the Develop module takes 4 seconds before the image is displayed after pressing an arrow key to move (or using the mouse to select an image).  When you move to another image, the UI is repainted first (and, i assume, the histogram calculated, etc.), and then the image is displayed on the screen.  Moving between the Library and Develop modules also results in about a 4 second delay before the image is displayed.  Moving between pictures in the Library module is almost instantaneous. 

This level of performance is unacceptable.  Doing a copy/paste of settings from one image to another takes longer in the latest Lightroom than in the previous one as the time needed to display the image seems to slow everything down, thus slowing down the entire workflow process.

Another quick test was to press the right arrow key 10 times in succession in the Develop module to move between images.  It took Lightroom Classic CC 20 seconds before the UI finally caught up and displayed the desired image.  Doing the same in the Library module takes about 3 seconds.

Or, is this just the level of performance to be expected?  Was this not tested during the beta process, or just deemed satisfactory by Adobe? 

What's the best way to get feedback directly to Adobe on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 294 Replies 294
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing Lightroom Classic CC (v7.1) starting to run unusably slow after the application has been open for several hours? After a restart it seems to work fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about everybody, and it’s not several hours more like 15-20 minutes. There must be a memory leak, and yet this thread is several months old and Adobe hasn’t done a thing, which is their usual approach to software issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance returns temporarily back to normal after I restart Lightroom. However, it goes south again after about 15 minutes. Then I have to restart again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot use Lightroom like I used to - all these years - with my giant catalog of all my model photos. It simply is completely unusable. I need to create a new catalog for every new shoot - do my work - and then import that new tiny catalog into my massive catalog in case one day - these issues will be fixed. Note - I’m using a very fast DAS raid box on a very fast MacBook Pro. This isn’t a hardware issue or a disk read issue.

Trying to optimize the catalog - goes overnight and never finishes. I have to eventually kill it.

Very disappointing. I don’t think that adobe tested many use case scenarios with large catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the catalog doesn’t matter. Performance goes to pot with very small catalogs for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. History.   Performance became an issue in the transition from v5.7 to v6.x.   I think that Adobe developers should look at that transition to understand what went wrong to make LR performance so problematic.  Did they change software development systems?  Data structures?  Did they shift the development process to more junior personnel?

2. Scrolling through images.  Personally I keep the scrolling in G mode going just fine by periodically recreating 1-1 previews.   I think that the decision to use embedded jpegs (jpegs existing in the raws) for the initial scrolling is brilliant.  I use the built-in jpegs to do my initial culling (say from 200 images down to 50) and then I periodically run the process of creating 1-1 previews to assure rapid scrolling through my edited images.

3. D mode.  During editing in D mode I find that LR Classic is much faster than some of the more notoriously slow versions 6.x but still bogs down after a lot of skin edits on a headshot.  So I absolutely see a lot of improvement in speed of editing relative to the worst v6.x situation many months ago.

4. My configuration:  I keep GPU turned off, 100gig free on SSD, 40 gig cache and minimize the other open applications on my 2015 maxed out MacBook Pro 13" (1TB SSD, 16 gig memory, I7).  I run a 24" 4k Dell in 2k mode (to get sharp text and it works!).  I work with multiple small catalogs rather than one big one, and I optimize the catalog with pathological frequency.  I keep "background creation of previews" turned off.  Raw images come from Nikon D810 mostly, sometimes D750.

Please everyone that addresses the speed issue, please provide details on your configuration.  (Many people already do that - thanks!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding in my own frustrations, which it seems many of you have. Lightroom has been fine for me up until this latest update. I only have a catalogue of 23k images and yet now a simple import of either 10 or 1000 images is taking forever. If it persists i'll be moving over to CaptureOne as It doesn't seem to make sense to me to be using a program with a clear fundamental flaw and not listening to users.

Fingers crossed this gets fixed with a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish adobe would comment on this. I've been struggling to get jobs out the door because of these performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on the wrong forum for Adobe to reply; we are just users like you. On the correct forum Adobe has replied twice in the last 2 months, saying that they think they have fixed the problem and asking for volunteers to try the fix out. Now we wait!!

Lightroom CC : Very slow on Hi - end PC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Thanks. Will ping them there.

I know some of the mgmt team, so I’ll also email them directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You are on the wrong forum for Adobe to reply"

Are you saying that the official forums.adobe.com is the wrong forum and is ignored by Adobe staff, and that a 3rd party site called photoshop.com is the right site? I have never heard of feedback.photoshop.com in the 15 years I have been using photoshop - I have always used forums.adobe.com.  If Adobe ignore forums.adobe.com this explains why issues never get fixed.  It means we have all be wasting our time. If what you are saying is true, they should close down forums.adobe.com now, and direct everyone to feedback.photoshop.com.  This photoshop.com site doesnt even use your adobe login - it uses facbeook or getsatisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Adobe heard us?   For some reason Adobe seems to be fixated on import/export times as a benchmark of performance, maybe it is the easiest to measure?  My issue has been cloning and adjustment brush delay, I spend more time editing photos than importing and exporting, I want to be able to move from Library to Develop quick and not have any delay in cloning/healing and brushes.

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/29/lightroom-still-slow-another-major-performance-update-coming/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has happened few times that LR CC crashes and I get the crash report screen which I send to Adobe, they ask if they can contact me and I say yes, they also come with the satisfaction window where I mark 3 or 4 if I would recommend this product to a friend, there they also ask if the can contact me.
I see a lot of those treads, lots of complains and as a professional power user of LR and PS I am getting rather frustrated that Adobe really does not seems to care, they do not contact me or any other user it seems.
I mean, what is this crash report for, I am surely not the only one this has happened to so why aren't they using that info instead of endless questions about hardware. When the software is updated (OK more features) and the machines are getting more powerful the software becomes useless... There are hundreds of different PC's out there so asking those hardware questions will get them nowhere, why not facing the fact that the software is faulty and do something about it.

As a professional photographer I need to spend time on my pictures editing and even though I use PS to do most of the editing I use LR to do the ACR developing and first and foremost, go through the pictures in 100% zoom to pick the best ones, so having a shoot of about 200 pictures (not to mention a few days trip with maybe 1000 pictures) I need to go through and then ending up editing about 20 in PS, then the workflow timeline is 4-5 hours going though the pictures in LR and 1-2 hours editing those 20 pictures. This is absaloutly insane, it should be 1 hour going through 200 pictures and 1-2 hours editing...

Adobe, feel free to contact me and teamview into my PC and work on LR....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it terrible slow, but even before following any workflow.  Since 7.2 overall performance for me is blow par, slow.  Going into develop module is very slow, so is rendering pictures once selected in lower film strip (smart preview on, plenty of hard drive space, GPU on or off no matter) PC is a gaming/editing PC, worked fine with Lightroom until 7.2 update, waiting to see, but looking into capture one just in case, t runs fast as hell on my PC (so does DxO), and well...it means I can get on with work instead of waiting for lightroom to respond 😞 Any idea of what may be causing the huge decrease in performance many are seeing since 7.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a tech guy from Adobe come in to look at my settings via internet and what he did was basically window dressing.  My findings are like most I feel. There is no problems with workflow or speed on a new project with a new raw image.  But once you start putting a lot of brush strokes and just many small details, I do notice the system slow way down until you get frustrated beyond your patience.  There is nothing worse to kill creativity then slow workflow.  Once this is interrupted then the game is over.  I feel its time for me to move on and try to find a program that will give me the smooth workflow regardless how many brush strokes or the number of adjustments to my images. 

Anybody out their can give me advice on a faster program?  thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop, you know I am glad you said this.  I was pondering how fast the workflow would be with photoshop compared to Lightroom.  I came to the conclusion that working with Layers, although could be destructive, may be a better way to get a smoother workflow.  So I would think you work with Photoshop and have better experience then Lightroom ?  I wish to thank you for your comment and now I must change gears and learn Photoshop.  I should have long before this, but I have been getting somewhat good results from LR, but now not so.  Have a nice day and I would like to check some of your work out.  Take care,  Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a brand new MacBook Pro Touch with 4gb Radeon, 512ssd, 16gb RAM and 2.9ghz processor...

February update of Lightroom (the April update doesn't appear to be available in Australia yet)

It's slow, the adjustment brush tool is slow and even something menial as changing colour temperature has a delay to it.

Not happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very disheartened by you comment as I thought it might have been my late 2012 iMac. The poor old thing only has 24Gb Ram and a  3.4Gb i7 processor 🙂

I am re-organising my modest collection (25k+ images) from folder based to collection based. Swapping from folder to collection takes several seconds and scrolling is so slow I am tearing my hair out. Updating the thumbnails of even a few dozen images to show the collections they are in is hilarious as instead of appearing instantly as it used to you now watch them pop up one by one! There has to be a better way!

Don't get me wrong I love what I can do in LR Classic but it is getting so slow that I am looking at the competition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is similar - the latest update is glacially slow at processor-intensive tasks.  I am using the latest MacBook Pro with loads of RAM and a fast processor, but batch processing images has slowed to a crawl.

Adobe - I hope you are listening.  I am sure this is a simple glitch that can be fixed with an update.

BTW, I love the new features in this update, so there are lots of good things about the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines