• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom classic freezes my IMAC 27 inch 5K. post working on raw files

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am been using IMAC 27 inch 5K late 2015 model and I am been observing a very awkward issue with my lightroom classic. It seems to hang and then freezes my entire system forcing me to shut down my computer via the power button.

The glitch only seems to occur when working on LRC.

Can anyone help me how to fix the issue?

thanks in advance

Shovona

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Hi!

I've spent about 2hours with Adobe support on remote desktop to solve this exact same issue. They totally DO NOT know that to do about it, or should I say, they don't know anything . Guy on support tried to persuade me that my network drive are what causes this problem! Asked me the same questions for at least five times. I'm totally pissed of! 

Lightroom Classic 10.1 has a massive problem with GPU memory leak! Once the vido memory is more than 95% full, LcR overflows it and freezes whole sy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics is: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2 GB

Not sure what the correct method is. I had 10.1 installed and had to turn
off the GPU. It was suggested by someone else in this thread that they may
still cause some other issues because of the memory leak. So I went back
to 10.0 and turned my GPU back on and everything is working fine.

Sorry not sure what the right answer is. Sure would be nice if ADOBE
provided some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so your system and GPU are different than mine and also that of the original poster. You are using a Macbook Pro and the original poster is using iMac of the same year 2015 with different GPU so different issues and its why I was making the point that if you had created a new thread with your specific issue you would have been more likely obtained a response from another uses with the same equipment. Now that you are working fine with the previous version of LrC I guess that you can wait and see what the next update provides.  

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Sure would be nice if ADOBE
provided some insight. 

this !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the screen capture from another forum, looks like Adobe is aware of the problem with some Mac 2015 computers and expects to offer a fix.

42362B46-E82D-4AFA-8059-E7C244F3C9AF.jpeg

My system works for me. I am not at home on my iMac but I believe my GPU is M260 or 270 not M 3xx. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is really funny! I CAN NOT be more upset!

Adobe advises to buy a new hardware instead of fixing their non-stop flow of critical bugs. Adobe's totaly inability to release stable and optimised software is unacceptable! 

These are no "funny bugs". In a realm of conspiracy, sometimes I think that this is on propous. Adobe denies to optimise their software to force professional to buy new hardware more often.

For instance Photoshop on my fresh Big Sur install take on idle about 3GB in RAM. Once I open about 10 JPG files, each about 15MB, Photoshop take more than 7,5GB in RAM.  

Guys, just stop defending Adobe. All these problems ano not your HW's faul.  Late 2015 iMac is not an old computer, especially considering how poorly Intel's CPUs has evolved in past few years.

DaVinci/Final Cut runs perfect here for my 4K/422/10bit workflows on my late 2015 iMac 5K.

Much, much more HW demanding tasks thant single 25MB RAW photo editing. 

Also pay attention to line "Disable GPU won't effect performence". What? In that case GPU acceleration is not needed. So why Adobe so hardly promotes each "GPU performance optimization" each LR/LrC update. 

LrC is extremely poorly programmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have  these problems  on a brand New iMac 2020 ! ( I7 and 24 Gb of memory...) then  it's not an hardware problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ADOBE not pay attention to these Community Support Posts? Why are we
not getting a response from them?

This is forcing me not to update my operating system and use an older
version of LRC which we all pay a monthly fee for.

I assume they will let us end our monthly contract if they are not going to
do anything about this? I just restarted with them in September, now I'm
wishing I didn't.

Anyone have a suggestion on what's needed to end this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We I asked Adobe's support where to report bug such as this one, they've sent me a link to this formu. 

As far as I know, there is no official way to report bugs. Or is itm anyone??? As support DID NOT even considered by report as valid... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan: I agree 100 %. This really sucks! Why is it that these nerds are trying to compete on a level that they assume that everyone always has (the funds) to buy the newest machine when it hits the market shelves, and they orientate their "gimmicks" on such standards? I would estimate that 80 % of the users use older equipment and indeed, a 2015 iMac is not to be considered an "oldtimer".

What really bothers me is that you can't get older and stable versions as hardware anymore and keep a working system configured so you can work.

This "intermezzo" did cost me a good job (and probably the customer too) and in times likes these this is crucial and unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same IMac same problem ... Thank you for the hint to disable the GPU acceleration. Now it's working again ... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the best option in my opinion. I experience no noticeable difference in performance whether I have it on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you disable the GPU? I'm not a tech person, but I having the same issue and I will like to be able to edit my photos. Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to settings, then performance and un tick GPU acceleration ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem which just started.  Disabled the GP accelerator and that seems to have done the trick.  But what am I losing by doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain me how to do it? This is my first Imac (apple product) and I can't figure it out 😔😬 thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Same problem, same iMac, unbelievable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just disable the GPU acceleration in the settings. Then it will work again ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling gpu or downgrading to 10.0 has  no effect on mine ( iMac 27 2020...) ....can't work  anymore....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you rebooted your computer recently?

I found that when I shut my Mac down and restarted it that it seemed to
clean out the memory and HD buffer.

Good Luck, Ric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! Adobe has just released a Lightroom 10.1.1

DO NOT UPDATE!!! 

This version does not include fix for this GPU bug!

Tested on my iMac 5K late 2015. Still the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At janmalycz, only one specific bug fixed.

See the screen capture from the Adobe Feedback Forum.

Mac users will be best advised to turn off the auto update feature for macOS and for Lightroom Classic. Make sure you know exactly what is an update and how it relates to your computer specifications.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.16.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bugfix in this update can also very well be not listed. It's a common thing among developers.

Especially considering how shamefully big this bug is.

Mr. DdeGannes, in the first place you should make sure not to defend Adobe in every way. So far, seems to me, you are the one who needs to improve your IT knowledge.

No doubt this is a really serious GPU memory leak bug. Mostly present among several 5K iMac models as GPU memory requiremtns for these screens are high and Adobe's frameworks simply allocate GPU memory not correctly. 

Adobe had this (but bit different) problem many time before.  So far, seems to me, you are the one who needs to improve your IT knowledge.

Cheers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote. “No doubt this is a really serious GPU memory leak bug. Mostly present among several 5K iMac models as GPU memory requiremtns for these screens are high and Adobe's frameworks simply allocate GPU memory not correctly.”

I agree there is a bug with respect to iMac 2015 27” 5K computers and I have turned off GPU acceletration on my iMac, this does not make any difference to me as I have always said I have never experienced any performance difference when it was on or off.

I have posted my experience in thAdobe Feedback forum. I have accepted the reality that my iMac has reached its life expectancy and while it runs on macOS 11 Big Sur it is likely it will not upgrade to any upgrades to mac0S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a brand new iMac (2020) with à lot of memory, a powerfull GPU, OSX 10.15.7.....and I have the exact same pb....not a question of age then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this is totally irrelevant. HW performence is NOT the case here. Memory leak is the source of problems. 

BTW, Lightroom runs surprisingly beter on even older Macs. Poor performence on 5K iMac is caused by Lightroom's frameworks being unable to run 5K resolution. 

In case you knew at least a bit about programing, you would know that poorly programmed algorithm runs slowly, no matter what HW you let it process.

Buy a band new $4000 iMac 5K, 2020 and I bet you the same problem will be present. Not an Apple's fault, not a slow HW's fault. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines