• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Process Version

New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the release of Lr Classic 13.3 I have a potential bug that i cannot understand.  If i import a Nikon NEF raw file Lightroom applies Process Version 6 to it.  If i send the same file through DXO PureRaw 4 and then import the resulting DNG file into Lr Classic it applies Process Version 5.

Not sure if this is a LrC or DXO issue but i cant remember it happening before the 13.3 update.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a sample file processed by DXO and upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here. We can put it under the microscope and confirm it's DXO specifying process version 5.

Note that as soon as you start editing a PV 5 photo, LR will automatically convert it to PV 6. The differences between PV 5 and PV 6 are minor:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-4/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manny thanks for looking into this.  

Here's a DXO PureRaw generated dng file: https://1drv.ms/i/c/3585b20cc59ee0f5/EcCWYvJdp_BDu27GI3xKYxYBSofVfTTitmQCpF-JK0hAdw?e=w1agCz

This one and a number of others are now openning with Process Version 1 showing the original Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light and Blacks sliders rather than the later Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks.  The following link shows a screenshot of Lightroom Classic after importing the file

https://1drv.ms/i/c/3585b20cc59ee0f5/EZpsV-tYdn9ClHCYUKK_ly4B1lkmFmWGJJuGEhMjeFqjZA?e=zEcmoH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

When I import that DNG into my LR 13.3, it gets Process Version 6. Though it contains some LR develop settings, they don't specify a process version, so it defaults to 6.

Your screenshot shows you're editing a smart preview rather than the original (upper arrow), and it shows that the photo has been edited (bottom arrow):

johnrellis_0-1717368671565.png

If you import a fresh copy of the original DXO DNG into LR, which Process Version is it?

If it's not 6, perhaps there's a preset getting applied on Import? Look in the History panel.

Or do you have Raw Defaults set that are changing the process version?  Look in Preferences > Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Just tried again from scratch.

The image loads in and goes to process Version 1.
The upper arrow shows Original + Smart Preview (but when i hover over the PV icon it just shows the icon like you arrowed in my screenshot)
There are no presets or anything applied on import although my raw defaults (preferences>presets>global) are set to Camera Settings.

The History Panel shows Import (03/06/2024 08:41:44) only.

I tried turning off the generate smart preview option but that didnt work.

I switched back from Camera Settings to Adobe Defaults and that has cured the Process Version error (now importing as PV6) but the indicator is still present under the edit icon (your lower arrow) to show it has been edited - all of the sliders are at zero and nothing in the history panel except for the import entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"my raw defaults (preferences>presets>global) are set to Camera Settings. ... I switched back from Camera Settings to Adobe Defaults and that has cured the Process Version error (now importing as PV6)"

I see the same behavior when setting Preferences > Presets > Raw Defaults > Global to Camera Settings. Note that after importing, when you click Reset, Process Version changes to 6, Profile changes to Camera Standard, and various Detail settings get non-zero values. I think you're going to have to sort out the behavior with DXO.

DETAILS

The DNG includes Develop settings, both defining camera defaults for that file and current Develop settings. I've attached the XMP metadata to this post.  Camera defaults are lines beginning with "crd:" and current develop settings are lines beginnig with "crs:".

When LR imports the file with Global set to Camera Settings, it applies the camera defaults defined in the DNG and then applies the develop settings. It's this combination of defaults and settings that is setting Process Version to 1, Profile to Adobe Standard, and Detail settings to 0.

After importing, when you click the Reset button, LR resets the develop settings to the camera defaults specified in the file. At this point, Process Version goes to 6 and Profile to Camera Standard,.

Also strange is that the file's camera defaults define various Detail settings:

johnrellis_0-1717432690437.png

But the develop settings define all those to be 0. So when you first import the file they're all 0, but when you hit Reset to apply the camera defaults defined in the file, they go to the settings above.

I'm not sure what DXO is trying to accomplish here, and whether this is a LR bug or DXO bug. But DXO knows what they want, so you'll need to sort this out with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Many thanks for the detailed explanation - i will copy the info to DXO for review.

Kev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some more information regarding this issue after speaking to DXO and looking into some of their suggested tests.

Opening the raw NEF file in Photoshop and viewing the XMP information in the File Info menu option and selecting Raw Data there is a line entry that says:

<crs:ProcessVersion>15.4</crs:ProcessVersion>

Opening the file after passing through DXO PureRaw 4.2.0 the line has changed to:

<crs:ProcessVersion>5.0</crs:ProcessVersion>

I tried turning off all adjustments in PureRaw but got the same entry.
For comparison I tried the noise reduction and optical correction using DXO PhotoLab 7.7.0 and the processed dng imported into Lightroom Classic correctly using Process Version 6.  Viewing the  XMP data again in Photoshop the line entry stated:

<crs:ProcessVersion>15.4</crs:ProcessVersion>

i.e. the same as the original raw NEF file.

So it seems that DXO PureRaw is changing the 
value for the <crs:ProcessVersion> line entry from 15.4 to 5.0 while PhotoLab 7 doesn’t do this.  This seems to instruct Lightroom to apply the earlier process version. As this entry is only read when Lightroom Classic is set to use Camera Settings on import it explains why it doesn’t cause the same problem when importing with Adobe Defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I missed that. This is a DXO bug.

DXO is using the wrong numbering scheme for process version. LR and Camera Raw use an internal numbering scheme for representing process version in their develop settings (what you see in the XMP), while the products display an external numbering scheme in the user interface. Here's the mapping between external numbering and internal numbering (which I reversed engineered for my Any Filter plugin):

"Version 1",        "5.0",
"Version 2",        "5.7",
"Version 3 (beta)", "6.6",
"Version 3",        "6.7",
"Version 4",        "10.0"
"Version 5",        "11.0"
"Version 6",        "15.4"

So when DXO records crs:ProcessVersion = 5.0, they're thinking they're referring to external Version 5 / internal Version 11.0, but in fact they're getting internal version 5.0 / external Version 1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will pass this on to DXO Support and see if they sort this out in the next update.  Its strange how PhotoLab 7 gets it correct but PureRaw 4 doesn't - must be two separate teams working on them.  Also someone replied on DXO forum to say the latest update to PureRaw 3 does this as well.

Thaanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I have heard back from DXO and they have just released an update to PureRaw, version 4.2.1, that now fixes this issue and applies the correct LrC process version

Thanks again for all your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have released the fix but it doesn't fix it. I updated my DXO firmware yesterday and ran a batch of images today and got the result that it changed the process version back to Version 1. I have contacted DXO again for their response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange - mine seemed to work okay and I checked the process version in the exif data of the dng file and it said 15.4 as expected. Are you sure you're running PureRaw 4.2.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using Pure Raw 4.2.1 Build 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double checked mine and found that i had turned off all corrections in DXO PureRaw (at the request of DXO for testing) but whenn i turned them back on it goes wrong again annd gives Process Version 1. Will report back to DXO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported it as well. Couldn't see any open topics covering it on the DXO support/community page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have emailed DXO. They opened two tickets for some strange reason and 2 people are looking at it. I was asked to uninstall and reinstall which I did. Took some new images and imported into LR CC they showed process version 6. Processed with DXO plug in and they all reverted to version 1. I have sent everything to DXO for further comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nigel

Would you be able to check something for me?

Initially my probem was for all files no matter what.  After the DXO fix its slightly different.

If i process one file at a time in DXO PureRaw 4.2.1 it seems to work okay, importing into Lightroom Classic with Process Version 6 (current).  If however I process a batch of 2 or more in PureRaw the first file imports correctly into Lightroom Classic (Process Version6), but the second and any subsequent files import with Process Version 1.

If you only process one file at a time does yours work okay or not?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines