• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom extremely slow on Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing painfully slow performance of Lightroom Classic. It can take up to 12 seconds just to load a photo at times. I can't just quickly scroll through the photos in develop mode - if I don't wait a couple of seconds on each photo, then after about 5 or 6 photos, it just hangs for 8-10 seconds with the spinning wheel while Lightroom catches up. It takes 12 seconds to move from Develop to Library. If I am doing a lot of editing on a photo, it lags. It's like Lightroom can't keep up. I have 32 GB memory, 2.4GHz Intel Core i9 processor, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB, Intel UHD Graphics, and 1 TB of free disk space. I have tried it with both the GRU on and off with no real change. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

nancyd36809937  wrote

I'm hoping that this is just that Lightroom hasn't yet caught up with cameras that now have bigger files and that this is something they will address.

This is a problem that has been reported repeatedly, new MAC, local adjustments, large images (45.7 MP), all of this puts lots of stress on your CPU — its not Lightroom that has to catch up, it is your hardware that can't keep up and you see lagging performance. A lot of people seem to think that new MACs are well configured f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of suggestions

I think you are asking too much from you 2014 mac

If your Lacie 5TB drive SSD ? if not try to get SSD

Make library smaller, split it in to sevel ones

2020 macbook pro models with 3733 MHz LPDDR4 will really increase performance of lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Lightroom Classic users and Adobe. 

I have the same problem, and now even more with the new macOS Big Sur (Bèta 11.0).
My imac is a Late 2015 model with Retina 5K display. It has 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Memory.

The 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processors, the AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB videocard.

And i'm using two Canon EOS1DX mark II camera's. My RAW images are stored on a Pegasus32 R6 and R4 with Thunderbolt.

And when i'm editing my photo's.... Lightroom is sooooooooo slooooowwwwww........ only to switch between a picture left and right... it take seconds to see the picture itself... not even to be sharpen it. I also use Photo Mechanic 6, and if i change between pictures over there... it go's as normal, 1 sec, 1 sec, 1 sec, plop plop... in Lightroom.. click arrow right.... wait, wait, wait... a there is my picture... so frustrating. 

And i just bought this iMac one and a half year ago. Don't get me wrong, i love the new Lightroom. BUT I NEED THE IPTC INFORMATION. And there is no way to insert all the info i need for my company in the picture.
That's the main raison i still have to use Lightroom Classic. 😞 i miss the exented IPTC information. 
If adobe would like to add those iptc and Exif (for the ones who uses that) lines it would be amazing.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Levin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has already discussed why Lightroom Classic is usually slow with local adjustments and a 5K monitor. And I'm  not aware of a great solution either. You can try turning off the GPU, but that will slow down other actions. You can do the local adjustments in Photoshop instead of Lightroom Classic, this will be a lot faster.

Also, Lightroom Classic is not supported on Big Sur and not optimized for Big Sur either, that could also be part of your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've nevere heard such misguided information. I have a 6 core 3.6Ghz Zeon with an 8GB GPU that is STRUGGLING with the most current vesrion of LR. a "Mac" is not the issue it's Adobe's inept coding.

Photoshop has no issue it's Bridge and mostly Lr for some reason. 

Also maybe you cam expain why Phase One can write Capture Pro 20 to run just beautifully on a 2012 iMac with 16GB of ram , A 2010 Mac Pro with 48Gb of ram and a 6 core xeon with an 8GB saphire card, and a 2014 MacBook Pro with only 8GB ram and the satndard i5 that came in the lowest cionfiguration? So please make sure you know what he issue is and it's simply Adobe's engineers. It;s a cumbersom software period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has damaged my confidence so much I have become afraid to upload my
memory cards ad have three sitting on my desk awaitina time when I have the
time and courage

This is sick to feel this way with their overly complicated and non user
friendly system

While it has moments of brilliance it's something inherent in the culture
where everything has to be very complex and difficult rather than honor
simplicity and be intuitive like that other great company that abandoned
its photographer community and dropped the ball!

Lisa
NYC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very similar to my experience on a 2019 iMac. LR Classic was working fine but in the last few weeks it's suddenly become very slow to import, develop (takes ages to past settings) and either hangs completely if I try to do healing using the brush tool or else LR simply crashes and a couple of times has even crahed my Mac causing it to restart. Problems seem to begin with issues with Abode Creative Cloud app being reported "corrupted." Have reinstalled LE and CC app repeatedly with no real progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines