Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: Import RAW only, not JPG

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot RAW+JPG.

For the more casual stuff, I can import JPG straight into Apple Photos.

When wirelessly transferring photos from my A6000 to my phone, JPG offers better quality.

For the more serious stuff, I import RAW into Lightroom 6.

The problem is that Lightroom imports both.

I have no use for JPGs in LR when I have the RAW file.

My library is full of JPGs that I do not want and I can't figure out how to only import the RAW and leave the JPG on my SD card.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import BOTH raw and jpg images BUT oddly only the RAW files are showing up, even though they are different images altogether.  See screenshots showing the entirety of the folder with both raw and jpgs, but LR only showing the raw files. I am sure I am doing something stupid.  I called Adobe support and after going through 10 prompts and leaving my call back number and holding for a person, it hung up on me.

Is there a LR expert out there I can rely on?

Scott

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is in the forum thread you’ve added your reply to, so click over to the web version of the forum message, and read down through the messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue as a workaround I made a little script to delete JPGs after I import or even later.

$dngList = Get-ChildItem -Path C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\ -Filter *.dng -Recurse

foreach ($dngFile in $dngList) {

$jpgFilename = $dngFile.FullName -Replace "[Dd][Nn][Gg]$", "jpg"

if ( Test-Path $jpgFilename)

{

$jpgFilename

Remove-Item $jpgFilename

}

}

This code look for all *.DNG files on a directory recursively. Then it test if the same name but with .JPG exists then it delete the .JPG

Change the path to whatever location you're using. You must run this under Windows PowerShell.

I hope it helps you. It's very annoying Lightroom doesn't have the option to not import the JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a macbook pro; this is a solution after you import:

While you can't import RAW only, once the import is finished (in Library > filter > any searchable field > contains all > [Type] jpg and ENTER/RETURN

This will separate all your jpgs; simply select all and delete. All that remains are your RAW (DNG).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have another issue is that i shoot raw and when i import my image on Lr on iphone its jpeg, how to solve this issue so that i can have my raw format, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines