• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is deleting edits of photos I'm still working on.

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twice in the last week Lightroom has reset all edits on photos of mine.  When I'm editing, I'll import a number of raw files, then "create a virtual copy" of each as I go to edit it.  I leave the original file as is, and edit the virtual copy.  I always have a bunch of  photos in the collection at the bottom of the screen, and I'll go back and forth between them as I edit.  The same way I've always done it.  Lately Lightroom has randomly reset a couple of my virtual copies.  When I scroll back to a photo I've been working on, I'll find it has been reverted to an exact copy of the raw file.  Its frustrating to loose hours of editing work.

I updated Lightroom yesterday, and I'm hoping that will fix the issue.  I'm just wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong?  Or if there's a better way to go about things?  Thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Look at the Edit History panel of your virtual copy. What does it show?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Do the sliders reflect the final edited position?

If you click on the top-most entry in the history panel and then click on the bottom-most entry, you see no difference, but you should see a difference? What if you click on one of the middle entries?

I ask because sometimes I outsmart myself, I make a dozen edits to the photo, only to find out that the dozen edits has resulted in an edited photo that is visually indistinguishable from the unedited photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In yor post from Sept of last year you were having a similar issue and stated you were using Lightroom 5.7.  Is this the version you are still using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I have not gone to the new version because I have over. 600,000 images and I am wondering how to do this safely. It make me nervous to convert and i have looked for answers on this and seen a lot of disasters transfering over! I am in serious need of good onfo on how to do this without lossing keywording and edits if you have suggestions I would bee very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New version of Lightroom Classic will convert your catalog. There shouldn't be problems, and you lose nothing (but you gain all the new features).

And you still have your LR 5.7 catalog available too, in case you need that for some reason, or something goes wrong. You don't lose that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get Lightroom Classic and not Lightroom(the cloud version) you won't have to pay for storage as photos are local the same as Lightroom 5.7. The upgrade is simple as opening your old catalog in Classic ad DJ said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's also a 7-day free trial of the newest Lightroom Classic ... so if you are in the 0.01% of users who have problems upgrading to a new version, you have lost a few minutes of time but nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines