• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is getting worse with each update

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to love Lightroom. I thought it was the best bargain with the Creative Cloud subsscription along with Photoshop.

Currently using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 on my I7-4770 with 32 gbs of DDR 3 memory, Nvidia GTX 1060 6 gb video card running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Most of my other apps zip along Photoshop CC, Corel Painter 2019 and my 3D modeling apps (3D Coat, Blender 3D 2.8, Silo 3d 2.5, DAZ Studio, Poser Pro 11.3, Vue Creator 3D, etc).

BUT Lightroom is  a complete dog and really slows down my photo editing workflow.

The issue most of the time is it's doing database stuff and not allowing me to edit my raw files. It's either sychronizing a folder or the metadata.  Both DAZ Studio and Poser Pro have large databases of 3D content. Both are not slowing down at all. They still zip right along. I know it's not my computer. I was a computer support tech for 35 years and recently retired 2 years ago.

It's driving me completely nuts and what took little time to edit a raw file now can take several minutes. And can often freeze Lightroom only but not my computer or Widows10..

I have a large catalog of 150,000 images AND PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST I DIVIDE MY CALALOG INTO SMALLER ONES. Please do not suggest this. Not interested in doing this. I have all of my photos into various catalogs that make sense to me. AND IF Lightroom can not handle a catalog of this size, then I'm gonna give some strong thought to jumping ship.

I've also seen on the web some other people are having this issue with the terrible performance of Lightroom due it's database handling. And some of them have found some competing products that do not have this issue.

My question to Adobe: Is this issue being looked into? Will it be fixed soon? I have no issues with Adobe, it's pricing or it's products. BUT Lightroom has been getting worse and slower with every update IMHO. Others may disagree.

Regards

Ken

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

I am quite pleased to report since the latest update to Lightroom Classic 9.3 it has been very stable. Since the update over a week or so ago, I have not experienced any freezing or hanging. Much appreciated Adobe.

Cheers

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am finding the latest update of Lightroom very slow, and I'm fairly sure I've found a memory leak.

I've optimized my catalog of 93K photos, turned off face detection, and enabled GPU processing. My catalog is on an SSD.

When I start up Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ], (takes about 2 minutes), and let it settle in a folder in Loupe Mode, it is using 2.1 GB of memory. (my system has 32GB)

As I press the right and left arrow keys, going to the next and previous photos, back and forth, back and forth viewing two different photos - and do nothing else - the memory climbs with almost every keystroke.  After about 50-60 back and forths, its using 2.7GB. I pause and type on this comment, and the memory use remains constant. I go back to LR and go back and forth the same 2 photos about 30 more times, and now Lightroom is using 3.0GB. 

This is almost certainly a memory leak! And would in time cripple your system.

Please help me voice this concern to the right people at Adobe to have this fixed !

Paul Terry

paulbterry at gmail dot com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite pleased to report since the latest update to Lightroom Classic 9.3 it has been very stable. Since the update over a week or so ago, I have not experienced any freezing or hanging. Much appreciated Adobe.

Cheers

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working stellar and humming like a small block Chevy V8. No freezing or big delays.

Very pleased....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, getting lots of "not responding" and infinite loading in Develop pane when clicking on thumbnails. I don't even have a lot of activity/catalog additions since I last opened it in 2021. 

I think adobe just want to push the mobile version. Hence giving it the Classic name. Soon it'll be called Legacy then Unsupported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ffaizal wrote:

Can confirm, getting lots of "not responding" and infinite loading in Develop pane when clicking on thumbnails. I don't even have a lot of activity/catalog additions since I last opened it in 2021. 

This thread which has a correct answer for the OP is from August of 2020! IF you have an actual problem, start a new thread with exactly the issue, your exact OS, and the version you are currently running. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines