Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile for Android Users?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm curious as to whether or not the app will be ported to Android. Adobe say that the iPhone app is coming soon but never mentions Android.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 122 Replies 122
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allan Zeiba wrote:

the one thing that I don't understand is why they don't talk about it

Osborne effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to put my two cents in here and point out that Android has so many different hardware configurations that it results in longer and more expensive development.  Its a result of the more open architecture and why may apps are inferior on Android.  Not knocking Android here.  And to the poster who said that editing a 24MB RAW file on iOS is a joke, Adobe has found a way, at least for simple to modeate edits.  Lightroom for iOS is the first time I've considered a subscription to Adobe's software.  Really cool stuff.  If it were available on Android, especially on a Note Pro 12.2", it would be even better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, like many or most companies of its ilk, are highly Apple-centric.  Many of the people who work at these companies think that "Cool," as in pleasing designs, is better than functionality for more users.  They all have their iPhones, iPads, iTunes, etc. and delight, as the Samsung ad out it, in things like new colors, moving switches to different places.  I understand also that many of the employees of these companies have an almost incestuous relationship with Apple and have deified Jobs.  Ah well, to hell with the 70% market share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobZ30 wrote:

Ah well, to hell with the 70% market share.

Irrelevant. How many people are using the Android OS in a professional/serious imaging context?

A vanishingly small number compared with the number using the Mac OS in the same context.

Conspiracy theories are really tiresome. Adobe is simply putting its resources and development where it will make most money for the company, which is exactly what they should be doing.

(And I speak as an Android user myself).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith, the misconception that Macs are superior for graphics work is bound to go away, eventually. Yes, I know that we're really talking about iOS here, but Android is used a lot for business in a variety of other environments and it's absolutely not a market that should be ignored for Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RolandDeschain17 wrote:

Keith, the misconception that Macs are superior for graphics work is bound to go away, eventually. Yes, I know that we're really talking about iOS here, but Android is used a lot for business in a variety of other environments and it's absolutely not a market that should be ignored for Lightroom.

I'm not talking about the idea that Macs are best choice for imaging (I'm a Windows guy myself, and I do pretty well): as you say, this is purely about the fact that Adobe has chosen the obvious OS for the roll-out of Lr Mobile - nothing more, nothing less.

Any other interpretation of Adobe's decision (especially the ones up the page, where certain individuals are taking this waaaay too personally and ascribing ridiculous motives to the decision) is - frankly - a pointless waste of time.

I'm well aware of the benefits and capabilities of Android - all my non-Windows mobile IT is Android based - but the fact still remains that there's a long-standing and significant "ecosystem" of people out there who take photos and use Apple gear including mobile IT - it would be nuts to expect Adobe to even consider catering for any other part of their customer-base first.

And - to be absolutely clear - Adobe is not "ignoring" Android: it is a matter of record that Lr Mobile for Android is coming.

It's just not Adobe's first choice of platform for rolling out a mobile solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Keith_Reeder wrote:

And - to be absolutely clear - Adobe is not "ignoring" Android: it is a matter of record that Lr Mobile for Android is coming.

I do however find it absurd that Adobe says that it will be targeting iPhone before targeting Android at all... Why target a small-screened device before the majority market-share of larger-screened tablets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beats me - but I'm working on the assumption that it's an not arbitrary decision.

(And for the record, I'm an Android user myself).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also waiting for an Andoid version of Lightroom mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would find this extremely useful. Even without develop tools, having a mobile library tool for synced collections would be incredibly beneficial to my workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What bugs me is that lightroom keeps reminding me about lightroom mobile, never once has it said sign into lightroom for ios only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also view your LR Mobile images on http://lightroom.adobe.com/ in a browser on various devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Mobile also includes Lightroom Web and doesn't care if you use iOS or Android.  So, netbasix, it would be inaccurate to say that is iOS only. Android Users: Lightroom mobile | Rikk Flohr's Fleeting Glimpse Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT inaccurate to say that it's iOS only... To say "you can view your photos on Lightroom Web, so you're fine" is incredibly naive. The fact is that Lightroom mobile is only available on ipads, and will be available on iPhone before ANY android tablet is exactly the meaning of iOS only.

What esmse says is a good point, and makes perfect sense, but as I stated earlier: is incredibly annoying that small screened iPhones will get LR mobile before android tablets will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it equally annoying, I have lightroom and photoshop via the photography program, which are used on my windows operated PC.  I'm also a android user so its frustrating that I can't fully use all the program features with it, as I can't use mobile.    Why would they bother with a version for iPhone, who could actually be bothered to sit and edit photos on a small phone screen (for which there are a number of apps anyway for editing phone photos).  Instead put the effort into getting a version ready for all tablet users. 

As for Lightroom Web, all you can do on it is view photos, so pretty useless if your away from your main computer with lightroom on it and want to edit photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we are 6+ months further since the IOS Launch. How long do we have to wait until its on Android. I phoned Adobe support ages ago with the launch of Lightroom Mobile for IOS, and asked how long it takes for Android. They said it was only a mater of few months they said. Now we are 6 months further. What a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Till it is ready. Obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i hope so, someday adobe will make it to android platform..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see an Android release sooner then later, even with reduced functionality; as long as Adobe makes a commitment to have Android catch up. Personally, I would like to focus on the ability to import my raw images, delete and add keywords, ratings, flags, colors... Then have this all transferred to Lr when I get back home. This would allow me to use a tablet when on the road instead of brining a laptop. It also I would expect it would help me improve my meta data being fresh in my mind instead of later when I am at home. (I can do all the other post processing tasks at home later, such as stuff in the develop module)

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that my phone can actually capture RAW images, I would actually like

Lightroom to be my main editing platform...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's patience.  Lr mobile for Android phones is under active development and will be the next platform we support.  There is more complexity in the development and testing because of the diversity of Android hardware but that's not the reason we targeted iOS first.  I mentioned earlier in the thread that there are simply more Lightroom customers using iOS phones and tablets than Android devices.  By targeting iOS first, we're able to launch on a platform where we're going to receive the the highest volume of feedback on a "v 1" mobile workflow.  We've been reacting to that feedback and pursuing Android support in parallel.

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Director Photo Product Management

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, not to sound facetious, but do you actually have a statistic stating that more LR users are iOS users? And if so, what percentages are we talking about here?

I'm genuinely interested, just from my own views of productivity capabilities on the two systems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TysonB,

There's nothing facetious about your question.  As I posted earlier in this thread, the market share of Android vs. iOS devices in the Lightroom customer base and target customer base is measured through quantitative market research fielded by Adobe. I think it would be very interesting for folks to know the exact percentages and I understand why you're interested but from a market intelligence perspective, it's not something I'm willing to share publicly.

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be good if and when it does arrive on Android, use it with my works Iphone and I like it. Just need it on my personal phone which is Android based and I will be all sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I had read this prior to my download. At least I have 30 days to cancel     Cant see to getting into a contract without some indication of mobile support timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines