• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom super slow

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So since the big update last fall, my LR has been ridiculously slow.  It freezes up all the time, takes FOREVER to process my images just so I can even look at them clearly.  I was having issues before the big change, needless to say the big change didn't help anything.  I used to be able to scroll through 1000 images, cull and edit in an hour, now it takes several because I can barely see them to see if I want to keep them or not and scroll onto the next image.  I got a new computer, DID NOT CHANGE A THING! I'm a little pissed that I dropped $3000 on something that is not going to help my workflow.  My previous computer was 5 years old so I assumed, like an ass it was that.  My new computer is a MacBook Pro, OS 10.13.6  2.7 GHz processor, intel core i7, 16 GB memory and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB.  Plus 1TB of storage. I called Adobe and they took over my computer and changed a bunch of settings that seemed to help for about an hour, then it started lagging.  I shoot a Nikon d750, so my files are large, like 25mb.  I would think by now Adobe would have come up with faster software to keep up with these large files.  I'm editing directly from my computer so its not like an external drive is slowing me down.  Am I the only one having these problems???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not the only one who has that problem. It seems that you either have the problem or you don't. People come to this website all the time asking for advice on what computer to buy. There is no perfect answer. It seems to me that it's the big mystery. I'm using an old HP Pavilion computer, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, and I don't have any performance problems whatsoever. Others have much more powerful Windows computers, 32 GB RAM, high-performance video cards, and Lightroom performs dismally for them. Go figure. Have you tried turning off GPU support in the Lightroom preferences to compare performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim. I have a 2010 Mac Pro with 24 GB ram and 12 cores - but the cores are old. I dont have any problems. I also have a new 2017 MacBook Pro and despite the fact that it only has 16gb of ram, it is actually faster than the big tower with Lightroom. I have tried comparing with and without GPU turned on to see if there is a difference, and if there is it is not noticeable on my machines! Only a thought but you could try clearing the cache and optimizing the catalog. That has actually speeded things up for a couple of people I help, or at least they say it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No one ever mentions the size of the monitor in pixels (not inches). This is a key factor in determining Lightroom's speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines