• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom vs. Bridge?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For just storing and tagging photos, is there any real advantage to using Lightroom over Bridge?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brennanw50166403 wrote:

I think a dynamic collections, quick collections, key wording, are very necessary to tell photos from "Alaska" and " a dog" apart. You could name the folder "Alaska" for photos of Alaska. Or create a dynamic smart quick collection named "Alaska".

If Adobe CC crashes anymore than it already does hopefully other software will take it's place.

When I become a competent photographer I will let you know.

Sarcasm. I'm right there with you. Of course, if the dog is one of these:

• 2.1.1 Alaskan Husky.
  • 2.1.2 Alaskan Malamute.
  • 2.1.3 Canadian Eskimo Dog.
  • 2.1.4 Chinook.
  • 2.1.5 Greenland Dog.
  • 2.1.6 Samoyed.
  • 2.1.7 Siberian Husky.
  • 2.1.8 Other Breeds.

Your system falls apart completely.

Adobe CC does not crash at all on my computer. It never has. Consider getting someone to help you with your computer.

Hope is a powerful thing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Bridge you can also do folders; it allows moving, copying, etc. Better to use Lr if images have already been imported so Lr doesn't "lose" the folder. Bridge can rename files too.

A big difference is virtual containers, the collection and collection sets in Lr. Nothing like that in Bridge (I've often thought accessing Lr collections would be nice from within Bridge; some other applications like Houdah Geo, FotoMagico, Comic Life, etc can do that). Nor photosets for publishing.

Sorry Lr is crashing on you. But that's a different thread. No wonder you wanna use something else....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More like apple vs meatloaf than veggie vs veggie.

Bridge is a BROWSER. Optimized for speed in viewing media files. Like Finder in the MacOS or File Explorer in Windows, sort of.

Lr is a digital asset manager and a parametric image editor, designed to actually do work on the content of images as well as to actual store those changes (the parameters). You can't do that in Bridge.

Bridge works OK if you, well, wanna browse to find an image to open. And it does some stuff for organizing too.

But if you need to apply changes to images themselves, in batches or individually, and preserve those changes, it's the way to go.

Different tools emphasizing different needs.

And you can view the images in Lr before importing, but it's not a very satisfying view, and could be much much better. One of the weakest points of Lr IMHO is the ingestion/importing process. I use Photo Mechanic instead, but I also do a lot of keywording. But using Bridge to browse an SD card, then apply maybe a metadata template, and THEN import to Lr can save some time since you can cull out before Lr has to build previews. And do more with sorting and such. Kinda surprises me more people don't take advantage of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob ... I'll have a look at the culling on SD idea. But I have read some good reasoning for keeping the SD as your backup while you create your backup after import. The culling process takes second place to preservation of the images, so that method would be very efficient, but much more risky too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was kinda unclear.

Since Bridge can browse the SD and show the images thereon in more detail, I "cull" by selecting the images to COPY to my desktop for later import by Lr. So nothing gets deleted or changed on the SD. Sorry 'bout that. Photo Mechanic can do the same.

One REALLY nice thing about that workflow is that Bridge (and PM) can show the metadata. So I copy in batches, segregating say JPEG from RAW if I had to shoot RAW+JPEG. And once copied over, the "review" mode in Bridge is in some ways faster to do an initial real cull/rating vs doing it in grid view in Lr. And Bridge shows other media files; so I can drop PDFs and audio notes there about the shoot.

Because it's a browser, it can do stuff like duplicate files too.

And finally, it does some metadata work more effectively. It lets you design templates that I find somewhat easier than Lr's presets (and you can actually make them from scratch for custom metadata). And it handles stuff like IPTC "location shown" and "location shot" better than Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, of course. Duh 🙂 Well, I subscribe to the pair of them so I think I will give this a try. Thanks for the info ... learn something new every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brennanw50166403 wrote:

Lightroom is overcomplicated software. You can spend hundreds of hours learning LR and not shooting if that is your goal.

I started using PS in 1994 and LR in 2007 when it was first launched. Despite being an engineer and tech-geek I was always a little uncomfortable and intimidated by PS. With LR there is a learning curve and in 2007 Adobe provided only the "basic" reference material. What helped me to finally become proficient with LR was purchase of a book by Martin Evening (actually LR 2). Today Adobe offers a huge amount of resources for learning LR, but you still may want to consider purchasing a book.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom.html

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lightroom+CC+2015

brennanw50166403 wrote:

I shoot hundreds of thousands of photos a years for several clients.

So you probably already are very comfortable with Adobe Camera Raw Plugin. LR's Develop module is virtually identical and for me easier to use. If you feel LR is complicated then focus only on the Library and Develop modules. I'm not a big fan of the other modules, which IMHO are pretty light-weight. For creating books and other documents I use InDesign (also complicated) because it gives me more flexibility than LR's book module. I still use LR for creating all of my placed images and Bridge with InDesign to manage all of my project assets. LR is well integrated with PS and since using both together I'm less intimidated by PS. Isn't that funny? My only wish is for Adobe to better integrate LR with the other apps like ID, AI, etc. For now I have to use Bridge for that purpose. You can also do metadata editing in both Bridge and LR as long as you understand the need to "sync" the Bridge changes back in LR using 'Read metadata from file' and 'Save metadata to file' after each LR metadata editing session. It all about understanding (and accepting) the quirks of a non-destructive catalog based editing environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread and I am trying both Lightroom and Bridge. I picked up Lightroom before I got into the PS/LR CC scrip fees as I could not afford PS CS6 at the time. Lightroom could do everything I needed for the most part when it came to photo editing, so no need to buy PS. When I started a photo class at my local community collage, they used Bridge as it was the industry standard for photo/media cataloging. After that it was up to ACR/PS to do the rest of the work.  With this said is Bridge still the industry standard for cataloging? As of now I believe the LR uses ACR engine and I am wondering how to batch process in LR for lens correction profiles, like in ACR filmstrip view for batch processing? I guess it comes down to, use what works for you to get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this said is Bridge still the industry standard for cataloging?

I doubt that anyone has quantified this, and I suspect the answer is "No" (although I admit to not having data) but I also wonder why it matters — if some piece of software meets your needs, then that piece of software is what you should use.

As of now I believe the LR uses ACR engine and I am wondering how to batch process in LR for lens correction profiles

You can apply a Develop preset when you import the photos, so every photo imported in that batch will have the desired lens correction. Alternatively after import you can turn on lens correction for all photos selected using Auto Sync

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, Lightroom is FAR faster, especially on a powerful computer.

But its "buts" are huge.  It doesn't have the move function that Bridge has - that would save SO much time.  Worse, if you drag and drop (the only way to move files in LR as far as I can tell), and there are files of the same name there, LR will not ask you to skip, replace, or auto-rename.  It will just not do it. The only way around that as far as I can tell is to go back and re-name the files manually (or batch rename them, adding a sequential number for each), then drag and drop them again. WTF? Especially since that technology already is owned by Adobe and is present and in place in Bridge.

You'd think they'd put the best of both together (and it would be in LR, which has so much more going for it).  Maybe that's coming in CC 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some big confusion here.... seems a few people answered the question, but many ignored their responses.

BRIDGE is just that.... its a BRIDGE where you can search your files and right click the PDF and open it in Acrobat, or right-click the PSD to open it in Photoshop. Its a helpful navigator to view After Effects Presets, your video files, a better way to make sure you OPEN the correct image since it allows you to clearly read all the metadata, see the resolution, to zoom in and compare images and to rate them with stars... so it's easy to FIND and OPEN the correct images, etc.

Lightroom is a Photo Catalogue of all your PHOTOS & VIDEOS (best for photos) ... it allows you to easily import and batch process, tag images with keywords to easily find them. Let say you went traveling to Belize and Cuba last year (I went in December) and you imported all your photos, you tagged the Belize Photos with keywords like "Travel, Belize" and you tagged the Cuba Photos with keywords "Travel, Cuba", and you also have some photos of our dog with keywords "dog, Chelsea". First you would sort through your images, you can quickly mark them with a FLAG ( I like it) or REJECT(its no good). Once I reject 10 photos or so, I can Delete Rejected Photos, and it deletes them from my catalogue AND my actual computer or drive where the photos are. Then I can go thru the photos and rate them, Ill rate my favorites with 5 stars. Then my friends come over and I want to show my travel photos... I can do a search for "Travel" which will then show ALL my travel photos even though they are in various folders (I don't think Bridge does that), then I can click the FLAG to show all of the Photos from Travel that I liked, or I can just click the 5 stars to show them my best Travel photos.

I can also make a Collection which is like a saved search where I can just click the collection and it shows my favorite photos. I can even make a Smart Collection, so that any photo I ever rate with a 5 start AUTOMATICALLY can go into my Smart Collection. I click the folder and BOOM, I can show you my best photos! Then I can do search for "Chelsea" and see all of my dog photos. Or I can clear the keywords and press 5 star ONLY see the best photos from my entire catalogue, from travel, and of my dog, Chelsea.

oh... that's not all folks! Then I can go into the Develop module and go into the Darkroom so to speak (hence why they named it Lightroom!) to touch up your photos, increase saturation, sharpen, touch-up, remove parts of the image (like a telephone pole in the way) color correct, sharpen, AND you can output to a Photo Book, Web Portfolio, Print Package, or create a Video with audio and transitions.. all pretty Quickly!

cheers!

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years ago I used Bridge and CR + PS for my photography.  Then I moved exclusively to LR, unless I needed to do a composite, which I did in PS.  Now I am reconsidering PS for the ability to do more complex selective adjustment layers.  For example, selective curves, which LR cannot do.  Also, PS now has some useful photography filters with liquify and all the focus/blur filters.  But, Bridge seems a poor alternative to LR for cataloguing.  I make extensive use of Collections in LR.

I recently attended a photo workshop in Cuba.  Very nice...  Nearly all the participants were professional or very experienced non-pros.  They all used Bridge and PS.  However, none were knowledgable of LR too and couldn't tell me why.  In fact, many said LR reduces all images to 8-bit not 16.  Not true.  Some also thought LR was destructive and PS isn't.  Not true.

So, like many, I am perplexed by Adobe's product mix with CC.

What are your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other big difference I see is my DNG files are around 25 meg.  Of course, LR doesn't change that.  After a few simple edits in PS the saved PSD files are 143 meg.  Damn!  I did a test doing the same several things in LR and in PS CR, then saving as a PSD file.  Again, 143 meg versus my normal 25 meg.  Same edits since it's CR and LR.

I don't like that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop file size is more like a "normal" size for a three-channel (RGB) image at the bit depth you're using (16 bits per channel would be twice the size of an 8bpc image, while a DNG/raw file is usually a single channel at 10-12 bits).

What's not normal is the DNG size, since it's pre-RGB and compressed. It's nice that it's small, but to be usable in page layout, video editing, or web browsers it has to be expanded to a "normal" RGB file.

If you want your ACR edits to end up the same file size as the DNG you're editing in Lightroom, don't expand it in Photoshop afterward. When you finish editing in ACR, then click the Save Image button at the bottom of the ACR dialog box and choose Digital Negative as the format. After it's done saving, click Cancel in ACR to avoid creating a large Photoshop copy. Now you're saving the same way you are in LR, and will probably end up with a similar small file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in LR my changes are saved as commands in the LR database, then where are the similar changes saved with ACR?

Assuming I make the same changes in both, then use LR to Edit in PS as PSD, how does that differ from opening the DNG from ACR in PS?

I really appreciate your time here.  This is rather unclear for me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are saved into a XMP Sidecar file or if you are working with DNG, TIFF or JPG the edits are written to a special location within the actual file.

This same thing happens in LR if you have 2 options checked in the LR Catalog Settings dialog window.

Catalog Settings dialog.PNG

But this thread is nearly 5 years old. Not sure why it was resurrected.

The simple fact is Bridge is a File Manager, a File Browsers, like OS X Finder or Windows File Explorer. It has no internal system to adjust your images.

LR is a Database program with Adobe Camera RAW built into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sxrxrr  wrote

If in LR my changes are saved as commands in the LR database, then where are the similar changes saved with ACR?

Just Shoot Me posted that answer. I'll add that when you use the Save Metadata to File command in Lightroom, it acts like ACR in saving the changes from the LR database out to the file or sidecar. And the Read Metadata from File command does the opposite.

Which means:

• If you edit a file in Lightroom and choose Save Metadata to File, those edits will be pushed out to where ACR can see them, and if you then open the file in ACR, you should be able to see your Lightroom edits.
  • If you edit a file in ACR and switch to Lightroom, choosing Read Metadata from File will go get the edits that ACR wrote to the file or sidecar, apply them to the image, and store them in the database.

sxrxrr  wrote

Assuming I make the same changes in both, then use LR to Edit in PS as PSD, how does that differ from opening the DNG from ACR in PS?

It doesn't differ if the same edits were made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sxrxrr wrote:

The other big difference I see is my DNG files are around 25 meg.  Of course, LR doesn't change that.  After a few simple edits in PS the saved PSD files are 143 meg.

This is perfectly normal.

Raw files are grayscale files (one channel), and the filesize is therefore relatively small.

In addidition, the DNG format uses lossless compression, which makes them even smaller.

Lightroom (and the Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop) never changes the original file, but saves the edits as metadata.

When you choose Edit in Photoshop from Lightroom (or export a Tiff or PSD), or open from Camera Raw to Photoshop, a new file is created with the edits applied to it.

Only digital cameras can save raw files, so the rendered file will be RGB (three channels) instead of grayscale.

I have a 24 MP camera that takes raw files in the range 30 - 35 MB, and after I convert them to DNG, they'll be arund 25 - 30 MB.

When I save one of these files as a 16-bit Tiff with no compression in Photoshop, it is always 137.3 MB.

For more information, see File formats

Edit: Just realized that there was a page 2 in this thread, so it seems that you already been given an answer ,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sxrxrr!

I think its like a contractors tool box. Bridge is great for searching through all of your file types, Lightroom is great for cataloging your photos, tagging, searching, correcting inages, and Photoshop is the best for top notch pros, adding layers, more advanced editing and compositing, adding text, effects, etc.(and you can easily right-click any image in Lightroom and edit it, or a copy, in Photoshop, and when you save its updated in Lightroom!) And then from Lightroom you can export your favorites to a book, a website, a video, etc.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

Cheers,

Mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge will show all file types for a given project and is therefore useful and powerful for a variety of scenarios. Teachers and people that do a lot of live demos often use Bridge to organize their files into project folders that contain everything they need. It's efficient and its use goes well beyond the Ps compositing or editing workflow.

Lightroom is a Digital Asset Management application specific to viewing, tagging, sorting, editing thousands of your image files. Editing in Ps from Lr is a solid workflow because it allows Lr to keep track of your Ps edits.

Over time folks who are focused on managing their images are well served to work within Lr and those who are managing multiple file types for projects (for demos as an example) still use Bridge.

If you have moved away from using Bridge because it suits your purposes that's great. Many others still find Bridge effective in their workflow and would miss it if it weren't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is also used extensively in group environments. Lr is very much an individual application; it's even tough for one person to use it on two machines. You might use it to search a bank of stock media for example in a publishing house, where there's no way you wanna import that stuff since you may never need it again.

And Bridge does create collections (I noticed I mistakenly said it didn't in an earlier post...brain fade since I use them, doh). And if you use metadata extensively, it can be just as easy to find stuff in Bridge as Lr. Sometimes easier, and it has views that Lr doesn't, like a table. So for some work, it's sometimes nicer to use Bridge even if you do use Lr a lot. For example, if you wanna browse say a friend's SD card or camera for just a few images to copy it's way way faster than trying to do that in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines