Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lost files on trying to move between LRc folders

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just done my first import to LR classic and used a folder and two subfolders.  I then wanted to move some of the photos from one subfolder to another and so selected and dragged. Two transferred. When I retired the rest, the followinbg came up: All files selected are missing. No files can be moved.  

The images are still showing in the original folder. They do not have ! attached to them. If I open developer it seems that they can still be edited. Online it suggests that I go to the Library module and select something like "find all missing files": I can't see this option! It also advises not to move imnages around in Lightroom Classic - but I thought this was the only way one should move images, since moving on the HDD where the originals are stored, would cause them to be missing.

I am confused! Can I not move photos between folders in Lightroom Classic?

How do I find the "missing" files?

(Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the forum - I couldn't find an answer that really applied to my situation)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

most of the Youtube videos I've watched seem to suggest just importing in bulk and then organising in Lightroom, but you suggest the opposite.

I didn't say that. You do organize in Lightroom Classic, it simply wasn't discussed by my earlier comment. I only said that I don't move photos from one folder to another, they go into their "final resting place" straight out of the camera, and I don't move them after that.

I do all other organizing in Lightroom Classic. This software has a bazillion (may

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I then wanted to move some of the photos from one subfolder to another and so selected and dragged. Two transferred. When I retired the rest, the followinbg came up: All files selected are missing. No files can be moved.

Where are these images when you look for them in Windows Explorer? Are they in the first folder, or the second folder?

I am confused! Can I not move photos between folders in Lightroom Classic?

You can move photos between folders in LrC, although some people do report occasional problems like this. That's why I recommend you move them in your operating system and re-connect in LrC. And to re-connect the photos, you need to know where the photos are according to Windows Explorer (my earlier question).

As a side issue, the whole idea of importing photos to one folder and then moving photos to another folder makes me cringe; I think it is a poor practice that leads to problems as you have seen, it leads to potential human errors, and it is extra effort. When I import photos, they go into their final folder immediately, there's no moving photos from one folder to another for me — resulting in fewer chances to make a mistake and less effort on my part and these types of moving problems don't happen because I'm not moving my photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. In explorer the images HAVE been moved. In Lightroom not.  I can't quite understand how this could occur.

I am grateful for the advice re moving imported photos - most of the Youtube videos I've watched seem to suggest just importing in bulk and then organising in Lightroom, but you suggest the opposite. The issue is that I need to import arround 30,000 images that are in a complex and, I have to say, unsatisfactory folder structure on my hard drive; I am going to organise them in a better fashion within Lightroom.

The implication from your advice - which I welcome and will use if I have understood it correctly - is that I should think through my new folder structure fully and create all necessary folders and subfolders in Lightroom before I import any photos - have I got that right?

If that is so, then instead of moving files to new subfolders in the future, in Lightroom, am I right that I could use collections instead?

You will gather that I am completely new to Lightroom and, in fact, Photoshop!

Thanks in advance for any comments and further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of the Youtube videos I've watched seem to suggest just importing in bulk and then organising in Lightroom, but you suggest the opposite.

I didn't say that. You do organize in Lightroom Classic, it simply wasn't discussed by my earlier comment. I only said that I don't move photos from one folder to another, they go into their "final resting place" straight out of the camera, and I don't move them after that.

I do all other organizing in Lightroom Classic. This software has a bazillion (maybe that's an exaggeration, but at least half a bazillion) organizing tools that are much more powerful than anything you can do with folders. I'm talking about keywords, captions, titles, GPS locations and many other things in LrC. That's where you should do most of your organizing. For me, the only thing folders provide is a container by capture date (and thus another reason not to move photos to a different folder, as the capture date never changes) and all organizing and searching is done via these metadata.

This is a key fundamental piece of information about how to get the most out of LrC. ADVICE: Other than folders by capture date, do not organize by folders; organize by metadata.

As far as those videos you saw, which advise bulk importing and then organizing in LrC, if they meant keywords and other metadata organizing in LrC, I agree; if they meant move photos to different folders to organize then I strenuously disagree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for clarifications. Re organizing, this is common advice across many sites: "One of the most repeated mistakes that new and even experienced Lightroom users make is to move files or folders outside of Lightroom.  The problem it creates is missing images in Lightroom.  The pictures are still on your drive, wherever you moved them, but now Lightroom has no idea where they are"

This site goes on to say:

""DO" MOVE IMAGE FILES AND FOLDERS WITHIN LIGHTROOM

The first thing to do is to start Lightroom.  Then go to the Folders panel in the Library module.  Go to the files or folders you wish to move, then drag and drop them to the new location.  You can use this same method," 

However, I take your point that it is pretty easy to locate and reconnect files in the way you describe and, if this avoids the kind of issue I described, then it would seem to be a superior procedure. 

My problem with adding adding "keywords, captions, titles, GPS locations and many other things in LrC" is that I have around 24,000 photos to organise and adding these data to each seems to be a mammoth task.  They are, however, in about 364 folders and subfolders on my PC (many photos have meaningful names as well) and, as such, I can locate most images quite easily. 

My plan now is, unless this is seen to be flawed by experts in this area, is to remove some of the flabbiness and duplicates within Explorer (I've spent three days doing this already with clone searchers and simply trimming surplus images); importing to LRc using the "Add" function, which I think preserves the folder structure. Then, over time, I will prune further and over time  add keywords, etc.  and perhaps avoid adding new folders to the mix.

Sorry to try your patience, but can I ask if this makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it makes sense, you don't want to lose the organization provided by your folder names. But I think eventually you need to transition to keywords and other metadata as your primary organizing tools; as one you have completed this task, you won't have the issue of moving photos to another folder any more, your photos can stay where they are.

My problem with adding adding "keywords, captions, titles, GPS locations and many other things in LrC" is that I have around 24,000 photos to organise and adding these data to each seems to be a mammoth task.

You only get the benefits of keywords and other metadata if you actually put in the work. The choice is yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines