Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2.5 strange lines on highlights...

Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, LR has just updated itself at the last version, 2.5.

I immediately noticed this strange thing (see attached images) on the library module preview, but I felt reassured when I switched to develop module and the lines disappeared.

I exported the raw images and, once opened in photoshop, I saw again the lines!

Anyone has already noticed something like this in the new version?

I'm on a mac with Leopard.

Now I have to finish my job using camera raw (not the 5.5 yet, fortunately)... I hope, if this is a bug, they could fix it soon. Meanwhile I accept suggestion on how to turn back to 2.4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2009 Nov 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heywood J, perhaps you can submit the raw file in question, that is giving you problems on your new Intel machine. This is news to me. Note that I need the original .ORF file. It would also be good if you could submit a sample JPG or TIFF file showing the artifacts that you are seeing your Intel machine.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the notices on the Lightroom blog and also received responses on the bug report I filed. Adobe is working on the problem and will release updated versions once the problem is resolved.

The problem affects all Apple PowerPC G4 and G5 systems.

Adobe has recommended downgrading to Lightroom v2.4/Camera Raw v5.4 until they release new versions with the fix. If you have a camera that is only supported by the LR2.5/ACR5.5 release, you can safely convert it to DNG with DNG Converter v5.5 but be sure it is configured to produce "Camera Raw v5.4 and later" version DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same disastrous problem with LR 2.5

Have been using LR for all of my processing for years with no problem like this.

Using a Mac G5  with mac osx 10.411

Camera: Leaf Aptus back

Raw File format: (MOS)

No problem until upgrade to LR 2.5 this week

I have about 1,000 files I need to process immediately, all shot on a white background, and perfectly lit/ NO blown out highlights in the original file:

On import to LR 2.5  all white backgrounds are now embedded with a magenta clipping map that exports with the raw file to another format and I can't disable it or output any of my files HELP!!!!

Have just read on this forum that downgrading to LR 2.4 the same problems exist because the corrupted LR data has been embedded in the backup catalogue from LR 2.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Don't worry, there's no corrupted data in the Lightroom catalog (the .LRCAT file). The previews (contained in the .LRDATA icon) created with LR2.5 show the buggy rendering, that's all.

- Delete the Lightroom v2.5 application

- Re-install the Lightroom v2.4 application

- Have Lightroom re-create the previews ...

Before you start Lightroom, go to your catalog folder and delete the .LRDATA icon. Then double-click the .LRCAT file ... Lightroom v2.4 will open the catalog and re-create the .LRDATA icon and all the previews. Depending on how large your catalog is, this can take some time. But it will for sure do the job correctly and you won't see any of these ruined preview images.

BTW, once you've re-installed Lightroom v2.4, even if you don't remove and re-render the previews, cleanly rendered JPEG, TIFF and PSD files will be created on Export because it only uses the previews internally ... it generates new files during export which will not have the artifacts and other junk in them. I've tested this explicitly.

I erased the .LRDATA icon and let it generate all the previews anyway. There are 40,000+ files in my catalog and I'm on a G5 2.0Ghz DP system ... I let it create them by running overnight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for quick response- will do as you suggest and will get

back to you after all is done. - Probably tomorrow as I will do the

overnite thing too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for quick response. I will do as you suggest -and get back to you tomorrow. With nearly 60,0000 images in my library it'll be an overnite operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2009 Oct 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on deadline, don't do that.

Create a new catalog with 2.4 for the images you need to process now. Later you can convert what you need, and then combine catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply,

I don't use LR in my workflow. I'd consider buying it, but after

this . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same lines in the whites 

In Capture One Pro my Leica DNG-files open well.

Going to use it till Adobe comes with a proper update.. If not, Adobe lost a client.. I don't accept that i have to downgrade to earlier versions.

Walter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Also makes me feel unsafe in converting to DNG without retaining my original raw files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are both over-reacting.

Software bugs happen often. This one is non-injurious to anything, just a minor inconvenience, and is specific to one family of processors (which happens to be an out-of-production, obsoleted product line s well). They're working on the problem and will produce a new version soon.

And yes, all my Apple systems are PowerPC models still. My work and livelihood is dependent upon their operation, and there's no problem at all. I find the problem only a minor inconvenience. It doesn't change anything about my workflow other than that for a couple of new camera models added in the latest rev of ACR/LR, I need to convert to DNG before importing, not afterwards. Big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over-react?

I'm a pro photographer using Lightroom.

Just returned from a large shoot with over 1000 raw images and I have to deliver my selection begin of next week..

Wish i didn't update LR this morning 

For now my previous 3.7 version of Capture One is doing a great Job and i hope Adobe will find a sollution for the bug soon.

Walter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Leica_Walter <forums@adobe.com> said:

>

Over-react?

>

Just returned from a large shoot with over 1000 raw images and I have to deliver my selection begin of next week..

So put 2.4 back. The latest version didn't add anything to LR

capabilities except for support for new cameras (which is broken), so

going back to 2.4 won't make you lose anything (in terms of features).

Downgrading should only take a couple minutes.

Or run the DNG converter first, then import the photos. That takes

extra time,but (probably) not a ruinous amount.

For now my previous 3.7 version of Capture One is doing a great Job and i hope Adobe will find a sollution for the bug soon.

Use what you think is best for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leica_Walter wrote:

Over-react?

As a pro photographer, you know you should always test software upgrades carefully before committing your work to them. I found the bug on my test system, which is an old 80G hard drive configured as an external boot system specifically for software testing. It boots both my PowerMac G5 and PowerBook G4 systems.

However, as Michael said, "downgrading" will take you all of two minutes to delete LR2.5 and reinstall LR2.4. If you do it NOW and didn't worry about it, started your 1000 RAW file project, you'd save yourself a lot of time. You're spending valuable time complaining about it.

Use whatever tools make you happy. But I do think you're over-reacting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But I do think you're over-reacting."

15 days after the bug  was discovered and not even a warning in the V2.5 download page ?

When you make the upgrade, even in an other folder than the old version, the installer remove (without asking permission) all the  files of the previous version and you says:

" you know you should always test software upgrades carefully before committing your work to them".

How, please ? Testing on an other machine or active partition ?

Lightroom is a very expensive software. We are customers. It is normal to ask  minimal quality from a 300$ softawre. It is not normal that the lightroom installer erase the previous version so the customer cannot downgrade easely.

This release was not fully tested, a real inconvenience for affected people, and it just look like Adobe do not care about them.

No, Leica_Walter in not over reacting. i found him very polite, on the contrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the problem in PSCS4 on PPC AND Intel processors. Converting to DNG prior to development doesn't fix the problem. It's Adobe's implementation of ACR that is the problem.

It is a big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug in the most recent release. Bugs happen.

- If you're getting this issue with CS4+ACR v5.5 running on an Apple-Intel system, that means it is running in PowerPC Emulation mode (Rosetta). The bug is a PowerPC code problem. To tell CS4 to run on the native Intel executable rather than Rosetta, you click on the application icon in the Finder and then select "Get Info..". There will be an option to start up on PowerPC there ... uncheck it. That will solve the problem for Camera Raw v5.5.

- For Lightroom, re-install v2.4. For new cameras supported only by ACR v5.5/LR v2.5, run DNG Converter v5.5 using the conversion option "for Camera Raw v5.4 or later" to create DNG files. Now Lightroom v2.4 will read all the DNGs made with the more recent cameras and will not show the artifacts on the PowerPC system.

- Similarly, on the PowerPC system, restore ACR v5.4 for Photoshop CS4 to use.

Yes, it's a pain. Yes, I'm annoyed that Adobe hasn't yet shipped a fix. But it isn't *that* big a deal to work around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm annoyed that Adobe hasn't yet shipped a fix"
Did they even care ? They have our money yet ! Not even a warning on the download page: It is a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It sure is a shame (I've used PS from the very

beginning). Everybody else got it right from the get-go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS4 running on the Intel machine isn't running in Rosetta, so

apparently, it's a bug in the implementation of the Olympus RAW code.

I don't use LR. I have converted the files to DNG "for Camera Raw v5.4

or later," and it didn't fix anything (although, as I said, I don't

use LR). To my knowledge ACR 5.4 does not recognize Olympus e30 files.

All of my other RAW developers handle these files without a problem on

both machines, Adobe has known about this for months. How difficult

could it be if the other developers have already implemented it. Too

bad I'm dependent on an Adobe PS based workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strange lines are making a hash of my catalog.  Where can I find the 2.4 version of Lightroom to write over this buggy "so called upgrade"?  It also appears to be duplicating my virtual copies whenever it makes a back up.  I am using a G5 Mac, power pc processor, OS 10.5.8

I hope someone can show me how to go back to 2.4.

Thanks,

stan.chism@att.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan Chism wrote:

The strange lines are making a hash of my catalog.  Where can I find the 2.4 version of Lightroom to write over this buggy "so called upgrade"?  It also appears to be duplicating my virtual copies whenever it makes a back up.  I am using a G5 Mac, power pc processor, OS 10.5.8

I hope someone can show me how to go back to 2.4.

Same Adobe download site that you downloaded v2.5 from ...

- Go to http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=113&platform=Macintosh

Download the Lightroom v2.4 .DMG file

- Drag the Lightroom v2.5 icon from your Applications folder into the Trash. Empty the Trash.

- Double-click the downloaded .DMG file. Double click the Lightroom Installer.

- If you see the crud in the previews in your catalog after you open it, quite Lightroom and drag the "... Previews.lrdata" icon in the catalog folder into the Trash. Start Lightroom again and it will re-generate all the previews for you. (Depending on the size of your catalog, this can take some time. With about 40,000 image files in mine, I let it run overnight.)

BTW, it's always a good idea to archive the released software you download. I have a library of every update I've obtained for Lightroom, Photoshop, Camera Raw and DNG Converter. That makes it easy to go backwards when a problem develops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input. I have reinstalled LR 2.4. My catalog images

still have the funny lines so I am going to reimport from my archive

the original Olympus (.orf) images to get rid of the lines. I note

that when I import the affected images into Photoshop CS3 that the

original images are okay. I will follow the thread and see if Adobe

shows some customer responsiveness and weighs in on what went wrong

with 2.5 and if they plan to give us out of date photographers ongoing

support. I think I can still learn Aperture 2.0 and be happy with

that program if it supports old hardware and software users like me.

Thanks

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Stan Chism <forums@adobe.com> said:

>

Thanks for your input.  I have reinstalled LR 2.4.  My catalog images

still have the funny lines so I am going to reimport from my archive

the original Olympus (.orf) images to get rid of the lines.

You shouldn't need to re-import. The images themselves are fine (as

you found out by importing into PS). It's the previews that are

corrupt. Try deleting all previews, and rebuild.

Be aware that rebuilding previews can be a very time consuming

process. Letting that happen overnight is probably your best bet.

>  I note that when I import the affected images into Photoshop CS3 that the

original images are okay.  I will follow the thread and see if Adobe

shows some customer responsiveness and weighs in on what went wrong

with 2.5 and if they plan to give us out of date photographers ongoing

support.  I think I can still learn Aperture 2.0 and be happy with

that program if it supports old hardware and software users like me.

Thanks

Stan

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines