• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5.7 and a brand new Nikon D7200. I upgrades LR3.x to 5.7 and now i am unable to import NEF files. Is there a solution? did i do something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

What you did wrong is expect an unsupported camera to work. I don't see this camera here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

In fact it's not even on the newly released ACR 8.8 list. I'm guessing you'll have to wait for the next update cycle (2-3 months).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and Nikon are not necessarily competitors. But the fact is that considerations for Adobe are not in the Nikon plan. Adobe is just another company, part of which creates software that enables people to edit photos. Adobe must wait for cameras to be released and available to the public before they can create profiles for them. Nikon isn't concerned whether or not Adobe supports a camera. The big problem is that new models are being released constantly, and new models must be supported individually because it is the camera model that Lightroom uses to determine which profiles to make available. With new models being introduced almost daily now, it seems, it's impractical or even impossible for Adobe to provide immediate support. The update cycle for Lightroom and Camera Raw is approximately every three months. If cameras are introduced soon enough in that cycle they will be included in the next release. Otherwise it will have to be the next one. This isn't an Adobe problem as much as it is a problem with camera manufacturers being unwilling to adopt a standard format such as DNG. If the camera makers would do that then all this delay and customer frustration would simply go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe , I did not think Nikon and Adobe to be competitors, but rather part of an ecosystem. If they are you are correct, why would the EVER provide it? My comments are just around the way I assumed the photography market worked, and I could be wrong, that the hardware manufactures rely on companies like Adobe and Apple, and Avid as part of an ecosystem. If that was the case, then I would think Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would give prerelease information to Adobe under a NDA to help their product at launch.

Amazingly, Nikon and such see Adobe and others as competitors at the minimum and as best as pelts in their louse. They are still holding on to the crazy idea that they could get third party software makers to use their slow and black-box SDK to base their raw rendering off. So they do not like to provide prerelease info. Only the smaller camera makers provide prerelease info. You'll often see raw support for those before the newest camera is even released. For Nikon and Canon, Adobe actually has to buy a camera on the open market to profile it in their lab before there is raw support. Bad situation indeed but since it doesn't seem to the big camera makers that this hurts their camera sales they don't seem to understand that they could get a much better ecosystem by working with Adobe et al.

Simply reading the nef or cr2 file is not hard indeed but actually getting the color rendering correct is what takes time. You can hack your NEF from your 7200 files to identify as a D7100 and they will like work in Lightroom but the color might be somewhat off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kcossabo wrote:

ManiacJoe , I did not think Nikon and Adobe to be competitors, but rather part of an ecosystem. If they are you are correct, why would the EVER provide it? My comments are just around the way I assumed the photography market worked, and I could be wrong, that the hardware manufactures rely on companies like Adobe and Apple, and Avid as part of an ecosystem. If that was the case, then I would think Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would give prerelease information to Adobe under a NDA to help their product at launch.

I am a novice that just 12 months ago started to shoot in RAW. I heard it was better, and I feel that I have more control of the photos in LR5. I think this is a common belief. Now that I upgraded to the newest Nikon 7xxx series I have lost this capability for an unknown time frame, but one that was posted here as being MONTHS. I tweeted about the lack of support in Adobe LR5 and the Nikon D7200 last night in hopes that other consumers, looking at the camera do not get stung like I did. I traded  in a camera with a supported format of LR5 to one without. That is why I thought Nikon would cooperate with Adobe in a prerelease, so that they could SELL the new hardware faster!

The Nikon D7200 is a DX formatted non-PRO camera, but I would think support in LR5 would be a value to Nikon, not a competitive threat. They improved the sensor (from my D7000) and provide RAW capabilities, I am surprised to think that they do this in a hope that Adobe does not support this?

P.s. I write this in a HOPE that someone from Adobe reads these, as I can not change anything, just sit and wait.

Nikon and Adobe are competitors in that both companies produce software for the same purpose, to post-process Nikon-created images. Which company does a better job is a different conversation. 🙂

Nikon never provides image data to Adobe. Adobe has to reverse engineer the software for each new camera. Ditto for Canon. Of course, Adobe has gotten pretty good at it over the years.

This happens every time a new camera body is released. After the new camera is officially released, Adobe and the other software makers create new raw-readers for the new camera and release a new version of their software a few months later after the beta-test cycle. Nikon does not play favorites with the software venders; none of them get any pre-release cameras to play with.

Nikon does license its SDK for tethering; Adobe is one of those customers. However, Nikon takes forever in adding new cameras to its SDK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, I am using Capture NX-D to convert my D7200 NEF files to TIF and then importing the TIFs into Lightroom.  It is not ideal but this may bridge the gap for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even this doesn't work, I am not able to do anything with my NEF in NX-D

the image isn't showing in it,

grrrrrrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me

My NX-D just crashes. Even tried uninstalling, then redownloading, and still crashes. I just gave up and am going to wait til adobe can update its systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame even the Nikon software doesn't support its own devices!!!!

Very unprofessional!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a different issue than using a camera that is newer than your Adobe software, which is what this D7200 vs LR 5.7.1/ACR 8.8 is about...

Usually when Nikon software is having issues with an NEF it's because the file is corrupted.  The corruption can occur when you've used old Nikon software on new camera's files, which is easily accidental when you've had an older Nikon camera and still have its software on your computer.

To avoid this situation with new photos, don't touch them with older Nikon software, only the version that came with your newer camera, and if you're using Adobe products, then maybe no Nikon software at all.

There is a utility that can correct this corruption:

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rubbish,

my software is always up to date,

and the files are NOT corrupted.

So I dit not use old software on my files.

I am not the only one with the same problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Angelandbuffy

Read the above post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same shit with View NX Schermafbeelding 2015-03-25 om 16.39.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Angelandbuffy,

I saw the same problem and had to uninstall and reinstall several times.  I would recommend uninstalling, rebooting, install again from a clean boot with no applications open.

Even after the first install, I could see the images but could not convert them.  I am using Windows and not a Mac but your problem may be similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to un/reinstall + reboot 2x,

and YES,

for now it is working....

thanks a lot guys!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, I completely understand both sides of this equation. I'm a software developer by trade and our software has to work with hardware and OSes that are constantly changing. Some hardware manufacturers are very protective off their data formats. In fact, I've been told on multiple occasions that some formats were trade secrets and they have no desire to share the information even in cases where publishing said formats would help sell more hardware.

This sort of policy results in decisions like the one I will likely make. Instead of paying to upgrade Lightroom AND purchasing a new camera I'll have to wait. There is no way I'm going to use JPGs and converting NEFs to TIFFs introduces another step I'd rather not have. If I buy the camera now, I'll likely have taken several hundred pictures before its implemented. If I do wait to upgrade, both Adobe and Nikon could lose out because I might find another use for my money.

The real gripes should be directed at Nikon. It only benefits them to keep the file format open. The amount of money they could potentially lose because people choose to use Lightroom over their software is likely minimal to the goodwill and purchases they'll get from publishing those formats.

As for Adobe, they have created a different kind of expectations with a subscription based model and they need to strive to get this kind of support (as well as bug fixes, but not new features) delivered in a shorter timeframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different views to this concept of processing raw file data.

The Camera Manufacturer through their own research and development have placed a particular sensor in the camera model to capture the raw data. They have implemented a specific and proprietary process via the camera firmware to process the data and create the JPEG Image file and have also included the option to capture the raw data. They also provide the purchaser with software which will allow them to process the raw files to match the camera firmware with options to make adjustments to the processing of the raw files.

The camera manufacturer views these proprietary processes as their advantage over other camera manufacturers.

The problem now, how do they provide this information to Adobe, Capture One, DxO and other providers of raw processing software without it becoming public knowledge for competing camera manufacturers benefit? So, they do not disclose the information.

Third party providers of raw processing software like Adobe, Capture One, DxO etc have to create their own processes and proprietary software to render the raw data. They are trying to provide you with an alternative / superior option.

The choice is up to the user select the product which, provides you with the results you prefer.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I believe it is a waste of time to spend all your efforts trying to figure out how to get the raw images from the D7200 to working on Lightroom right now. It seems that some of you think that if you were to shoot a JPEG image then the camera would simply be destroyed. Why not take the time now to find out what the camera can do in JPEG mode? Nikon has built a lot of features into this camera as well as their other models that you can even take advantage of in Lightroom or Camera Raw. For example:

Expeed 4 image processing

Extensive scene modes

Active D-lighting

In-camera sharpening and other processing

just to mention a few. The camera has a lot of fantastic capabilities that you can only take advantage of when shooting JPEG if you are using Lightroom. Why not take the time to find out what the camera can do in JPEG mode? The support will eventually come. Maybe tomorrow, next week, next month. Who knows? But in the meantime, why not find out what the camera can really do? Sure, I like to shoot raw images. But I just went out with my D90 and took a bunch of JPEG images, and they look really good. Imagine that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, personally do not want to mess with a "work around" to get raw images

into Lightroom. I would rather just use Jpeg images for what I am doing

now. But, when I go to France in June, I do want to shoot in Raw.

Hopefully by then there will be an upgrade to LR.

Tom

Tom W.

I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile.

<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/goldiehawn384350.html>

Goldie Hawn

Email: twak39@gmail.com <twak39@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, you can edit the JPEGs in LR now and have the NEFs ready for raw editing when supported. Change your Nikon D7200 in-camera 'Image Quality' setting to NEF + JPEG Fine for the highest quality JEPG file.

Unsupported Camera NEF (RAW) + JPEG Import Procedure

1)  Using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder manually create a destination folder on your hard drive in the same top-folder location and subfolder naming structure you currently use in the LR Import module. Example: Pictures> Nikon D7200> YYYY_MM_DD, or whatever structure you currently use.

2) Using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder manually load the camera or memory card NEF and JPEG image files to the destination folder location on your hard drive.

3) Under LR Preferences> General tab check 'Treat JPEG files next to raw as separate photos.'

4) Disconnect the camera or memory card and Import the JPEG files from the hard drive subfolder location using the LR Import module set to 'Add.' They will be added to your LR catalog and not copied or moved to a different hard drive location.

5) When you have a new version of LR installed that supports the Nikon D7200 you can import the NEF files. In the Library module select the top-most folder that contains your D7200 JPEG and NEF image files, right-click on it, and select 'Synchronize Folder.' Make sure under the Library menu that 'Show photos in subfolders is checked.' The NEF files will be imported into your catalog and appear next to their JPEG copies for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take all suggestions, thanks so much. Sounds like I chose a great

camera, which I just purchased a week ago. Guess I will keep it and not

look further for a better camera that I can afford.

Thanks all.

Tom

Tom W.

I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile.

Goldie Hawn

Email: twak39@gmail.com <twak39@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View NX-2 does not include D7200....................................You will need to upgrade to View NX-I which is compatible with the D7200 and D5500

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Angelandbuffy, you need to first download the files to your hard disk before trying to export them. You're trying to read them directly from the card while it is in the camera. That's not a good idea.

For all those that can't wait. It should be possible to edit the nef files using exiftool to identify as a D7100. Lightroom should read them then. This is not for the faint of heart and should only be done on copies of the files. If anybody has one of these cameras could you put a nef file on a public dropbox folder and I can test for you whether this works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Angelandbuffy wrote:

same **** with View NX

So take it to Nikon - it's not a Lightroom problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Keith_Reeder My issue with Adobe is that with a 'CLOUD' service I pay MONTHLY for, they only release updates every 3 MONTHS.... OMG welcome to Agile development when 3 hours can be a reality. I was not expecting (though hoping for) support day 1, but 3 MONTHS!!!! I PAY them for 3 more months and they may or may not support my camera in the next release?

In My Humble Opinion in 2015 that is not a cloud offering, and they are way behind. I get a FLASH update it seems every week, but they can not get a file format to me for 3 months!

Shame on Nikon for not finding a way to work with Adobe pre-release, shame on Adobe for having such a poor release schedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file structure so drastically different from camera model to camera model? As compared to Chinese and Spanish languages. From Nikon D5300 to D5500. Honestly does it take 3 months to backward engineer the new model's NEF file (in the case of Nikon proprietary files)? What are the magic ingredients that cause such a difficult chore? Do current programmers even need the coveted SDK from Nikon? Legal issues? Marketing stretch tactics?

If customers didn't hang in the shadows waiting to pounce on the newest greatest product, there wouldn't be these issues. Marketing has your number. The manufacturers of hardware and software understands the customers and plays them like the fiddles they are. When a person is angry with adobe, nikon or canon, the truth is they are angry at theirself for being so impulsive. Just wait 4 months after the new model is released to purchase the new model, price may even go down. But no, customers WANT it and they Want it right now. Pay the price and suffer the injustice of a 3 month wait for the software, revel in your materialistic desires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file structure so drastically different from camera model to camera model? As compared to Chinese and Spanish languages. From Nikon D5300 to D5500. Honestly does it take 3 months to backward engineer the new model's NEF file (in the case of Nikon proprietary files)?

No not at all. NEF files are very simply tif files with some special metadata. They are trivial to read. However reading the file is only a tiny part of the problem. You need to color profile the camera under different light conditions and then build profiles that guide the rendering. To read the files is actually very easy. You can do this now with D7200 raw files. You take "exiftool" a free tool you can download from the internet or compile from source. Then simply change the camera model identifier to some other camera as in:

exiftool -model="NIKON D7100" *.NEF

On the command line on a set of files that you backed up somewhere else. On windows add .exe to the exiftool command. This will make your nef files identify as coming from a D7100. If you then read the files in Lightroom, they will render, however, you will quickly see that the color is completely off and quite unacceptable. This is because Nikon tweaked the color filter array on the sensor between the D7100 and D7200 and Adobe will need to profile the camera with color charts and lights to get it right again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines