• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 13.3.1 not honouring RAW defaults on import.

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have both a Z6II and OM1. When I set my raw deafults in LRC (under Preferences) I select the 'Global' to be 'Camera Settings'. I quit and restart LRC.

I open LRC, import some photos from either camera, in the 'Apply during Import' | 'Develop settings' - I select 'None' (that is how it's supposed to work, right, if you want to apply the Raw Defaults set in Preferences?)

(These files are already on the local disk but NOT in the LRC catalog - so it's an 'Add')

I click Import. Once the import processes have finished, I check the assigned Profiles on the raws and  = Adobe Color. 

LRC is not seeing my OLY Camera Natural or Nikon 'Standard' or any other picture profiles I might have set within the cameras, such as Monochrome.

These profiles are listed BTW in LRC's Profile Browser.

I tried this; Left the Raw Defaults at Camera Settings / imported from OLY OM1 but selected 'Camera Natural' from the Import dialogue dev settings. The result was awful - massively saturated colour, like Vivid on steroids - in all honesty Adobe Color was much closer to what I have seen in the past from OLY Camera Natural - and certainly a better base to start from...

My main question is why is Adobe LRC not honouring the camera settings in Raw Defaults?

I am using LRC 13.3.1 on Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 / A regularly calibrated (Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro) Eizo CS2740 that's approx 15 months old in consistent lighting conditions.

Could LRC 'Raw defaults' be looking in a different location for the profiles from the ones visible in the profile browser and not finding them / how do you explain the lurid colours in the OLY Camera Natural profile when manually applied in Import Dev settings?

I saw a post on DPreview where someone had this exact same issue (OLY Camera Natural  = off colours), but their was no resolution to it and that was 2 years ago!

Regards,

DBS.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always honors the "raw defaults" preference setting for me and indeed you should select "none" in the import panel for preset to apply. Can you show screenshots of the preference panel, the import panel when you are importing and the image in develop after import? What happens if you just hit reset on the image after import? It should go to the profile you set in camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jao,

As soon as I'm near my computer, I'll try that and get you some screenshots.

Many thanks,

DBS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

OK, so some odd behaviour from LRC. OM1 as the example. If I remove the photos from LRC and re-add them in-situ, with both my cameras set up for RAW defaults 'camera settings' and Import dialogue to 'none' for apply during import, I get the Adobe Color profile applied to all.

I select a photo in Dev module and hit Reset = Camera Natural is applied (and it looks horrid) CTRL+Z and back to Adobe Color. I have attached my screenshots.

I can't understand why this is the case and please correct me if I am doing something wrong or making an incorrect assumption. Honestly I prefer the Adobe Color over the nonsense that's happening with Camera Natural and could stick with that - but it bugs me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You almost certainly have xmp metadata saved with your files either as sidecar files or embedded in the files if they are dng. Those xmp metadata settings will get applied to your images upon import. When you hit reset it reverts to the raw defaults defined in your preferences. It is also possible that you did not actually remove the images completely from your catalog.

If you do not like the camera profiles for your Olympus, you should set the default for that camera to Adobe default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jao,

Thanks for the reply.  

When I first imported these files (with the RAW defaults in the screenshot) before they had ever existed on my Mac, there were imported with the garish colours ('Camera Natural') - now, at the time I hadn't spotted the problem until I moved to some of the files with a lot of green in them and it was there that I thought something wasn't right. So, first time import gets the odd colours I am guessing from the 'Adobe formulated' OLY Camera Natural profile.

On subsequent removals and re-imports, I am highlighting all files in the Library folder and hitting delete followed by the blue highlighted button 'remove from Lightroom'. I then restart LRC. 

Are you suspecting that LRC is somehow holding on to data (the XMPs?) for the deleted files for the subsequent fresh Import run and applying these metadata to that import or has something been written to the DNGs awaiting (on the SSD) a second import run from the *previous* first time import? This is more likely than LRC holding on to data (sidecars or whatever) from files that no longer exist in the Catalog, I think?

On the initial, first time import, I am letting LRC use the RAW defaults of Camera Settings and zeroing out Dev import settings, as per my screenshot, so using Camera Settings in RAW defaults as a guide, how does it then get to Adobe Color (but uses Camera Natural when Reset)?

I can't really see what I am doing wrong, however if the correct procedure (initial import and conversion from ORF to DNG) using Camera Settings in RAW defaults results in inaccurate colours, then I will just follow the standard procedure, select them all once they land as DNGs and apply Adobe Colour. An annoying extra step, but it will get the results I want to start from as a colour base.

Regards,

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If you have at any time hit command/control-S on these files or have automatic writing of metadata to xmp turned on, it will write the xmp metadata in the actual files itself either inside the file metadata for dng, jpeg, tiff, etc. or in a sidecar xmp file (non-dng raw files). When you then import from that same location, the develop metadata gets read from the files and applied. This automatic writing of the metadata also takes place if you convert to dng. It will write the default settings you applied at the time into thedng file metadata. My guess is, since you are converting to dng upon original import, that is what happened. Importing from these dng files will keep applying those settings it had originally and overwriting the raw defaults you set in the application.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deltabravosierra  You stated,

Quote " 

LRC is not seeing my OLY Camera Natural or Nikon 'Standard' or any other picture profiles I might have set within the cameras, such as Monochrome.

These profiles are listed BTW in LRC's Profile Browser." end quote.

Your Cameras Profiles are not in LrC's Profile Browser, your Camera Profiles are proprietary to your Camera Manufacture, what you see in LrC's Profile Browser are profiles created by Adobe to simulate your Camera's Profiles.

Just posting so you are aware.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks,

Yes I’m aware these are Adobe's approximations of the manufacturers profiles.

Regards,

DBS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Deltabravosierra , Have a look at Julieanne Kost video on setting the Diefault Develop Settings in LrC . 
I find this a great tool.

https://jkost.com/blog/2020/02/how-to-customize-lightroom-classics-default-develop-settings-v9.html 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines