• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic right click / Edit in>Edit in Photoshop 2022 not working unless I open as a smart object

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my apps yesterday and I'm working with LR Classic 11.0 release, (Camera Raw 14.0) and Photoshop 2022 23.0.0 on an iMac.

I was also interested in a feature in the PS Beta, so I downloaded that too, but have now uninstalled it, as the right click from Lightroom was automatically opening in the beta version, and that wasn't set up with all my customised preferences, etc. 

If I work on an image in LR and then want to open in PS 2022, I can do so if I open as a smart object only. I cannot open the raw file in the usual way, or merge to HDR or panorama in PS by using the right click or Edit menu options. 

I read somewhere that rolling back the camera raw may help. so I tried installing Camera Raw 13.1, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that with Adobe Support. . . went back a few versions with no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Firstly, I'd like to say that this is not an isolated case and that there are quite a few more near identical, not reported cases. Most of us simply, but frustratingly do it the long way of manually exporting and re-importing. So, I'd like to repeat that I too am experiencing this same issue between LRC and PS on my M1 Mac Mini, all with the most current versions and operating system available. Have followed through and applied the suggestions or work-arounds to no avail. Will keep an eye here for any developments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a solution yet.  I gave up on Adobe Support and, frankly on trying to fix it despite wishing regularly for it to work.  I spent many hours of my own time and then 6+ hours more with Adobe Technicians. I frankly can't dedicate days to fixing this issue and Adobe Tech Support was proved to be problematic (forgot to turn up for appointments when it couldn't be solved that day, didn't seem to realize that certain actions would cut off support/communication and didn't have a plan for that or a good way to return to the same person, proposed solutions were increasingly invasive/time-consuming and yet nothing seemed to address the issue.   Even though they tried to help, It ultimately seems to be my(our) problem to deal with.  I am now at version 11.3.1 for Classic, 23.3.1 for Photoshop, and 14.3 for Camera Raw.  The functionality seemed to have been broken by and update, however returning to earlier versions did not fix the issue and regularly installing updates has not solved it either.  Definitely still frustrated by this and would love to hear of someone solving it. . . a little frustrated to see that this issue is shown as "Solved" at the beginning of the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a solution yet.  I've been installing updates with the hope it gets fixed, but so far, no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this EXACT SAME ISSUE and after spending over 2 hours on the phone with an Adobe tech, who insisted on doing a remote session on my Mac to only throw mud at the wall and not fix the issue. He made so many changes to my settings and permissions and nothing helped. I have an open case with Adobe and have emailed them twice, at their request with times to contact me, and they never respond.

I am having this issue on a new Mac Studio. I never experienced this on my iMac and a friend with a Mac Studio is not having this issue. There has to be a setting, somewhere, that fixes this but I am unable to find it. I asked the Adobe support tech I was working with to escalate my ticket to a supervisor and have not heard anything back from them.

Over the weekend, 

• Tried uninstalling everything Adobe and starting over - didn't work.
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling only Photoshop - didn't work
  • Tried altering permissions on the Adobe Library folders (user and system) - didn't work
  • Tried adding Lightroom Classic and Photoshop to Mac's Accessibility and Full Disk Access in System Preferences
  • Ran Adobe's cleaner utility - didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, 04/18/2022, I received an email from Adobe that someone would contact me today (04/19) at 11am. Adobe ghosted me. 

If anyone from Adobe is seeing this, please get in touch with me. My contact info is associated with my Adobe account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After numerous screen sharing meetings with Adobe Tech Support, the issue still remains. All the steps that have been detailed in this thread have been attempted. The last one, enabling the Root user on the Mac and doing a clean install of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, also failed. A clean install of macOS Monterey and reloading all apps from clean also failed to fix the issue.

If anyone has an idea for a solution, I'm all ears (eyes). 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's April 2023 and I'm having the same issue on Window. I've given up as I'm not computer savvy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's April 2023 and I'm having the same issue on Window. I've given up as I'm not computer savvy.

By @John249143180kj9

You are adding into a very old post. Both Operating Systems and Adobe Apps have upgraded/updated since the post was initiated. The original problem may not be at all related to your problem. Also many members might ignore old postings.

Please create your own new posting.

When you do, create a nice descriptive subject (title)

Naturally state your problem

Include any error messages

And state any remedies you attempted

When yo do, please remember to include at a minimum the following information (not all might relate, but it may be helpful)

• Adobe Application name and version (avoid words like latest, current, use numbers)
  • Operating System, Window or MAC, and OS version
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU make/model, and GPU driver version
  • VRAM on the GPU (MAC M1 not applicable)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue today on my MacBook Pro M1 Max 32 core GPU and 64Gb RAM. I say today, as over the weekend, I have edited an entire wedding just fine (in LR, edit in - PS), worked like always. Now, it doesn't anymore. I saw that there was an update for PS, which I installed, but it didn't help. I reverted back to a previous version of PS, then another one, then another,... all the way back to where I am now - 23.2.1. I did not touch LR yet, but this is enfuriating.  Why do I pay for updates when all they do is f*ck everything up? Last time, an update deleted all my actions,.. Obviously Adobe said that wasn't possible and since they were not saved (I wrongly assumed that they were saved somewhere), I had to rebuild all of them...

If anyone has a working solution, please tell me, as I have spent over 3 hours on this now to try to resolve this, time I should have spent on editing... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update - I wanted to test if there was a difference in opening the LR cat from an external SSD. It turns out, when I am opening LR cat from my internal SSD, I cannot edit in PS (PS opens, but nothing happens).  When I copy over the LR cat to an external SSD, everything works as expected and I can edit in PS just fine.  This is extremely weird, so I am thinking it might have to do with some disk permissions.  However, I am new to Mac OS and don't really have an idea where to start looking..

Someone have an idea that will help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have just solved the issue - when I go (on the mac) into settings (or system preferences) --> security & privacy --> Full Disk access --> Click the padlock bottom left and insert your password --> now click the + sign and add (from Apps) Photoshop and Lightroom, which did the trick for me...

Very strange that this has happened by itself, as I didn't change anything and it worked over the weekend just fine....

Hopefully this can help others too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Full Disk Access didn't work for me.  I have both of them checked already, but I do think it's likely a permissions issue in the Mac OS. .. just haven't figured out how to get around it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do think it is strange it seems to happen by itself and only on Mac and not after an update...? At least, I think we are all using Mac, didn't neccessarily all updated anything and we started experiencing these issues then, no?

Update - It's not working again here... I can't edit in PS anymore from my internal ssd.. Copying over the catalog to the SSD and opening from there, it does want to open in /Edit in PS. Hopefully this helps to pinpoint the problem from the Adobe team??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full disk access did not work for me, either. That was tried by Adobe tech support, along with altering permissions on the Adobe Library folders (system and use Libraries), installing the Adobe plugin, clean removal and reinstall of Photoshop and then all Adobe software, and down to clean removal and installing all under the root account (that's when things went south and my system was hosed, the tech couldn't reverse it and I had to reintall the macOS from new and clean install all the apps.

I've tried have the catalog and photos on the OS drive, on removable drives and combinations of both. Nothing works. I've tried reinstalling, initiating the library on the OS drive and moving to an external, didn't work. Pretty much, after 4 weeks, I've tried everything and Adobe, while controlling my computer, tried everything they could think of. Nothing worked.

Last week I spoke to a manager who asked for several log files and system info files from my system. I haven't heard back if anything was found on those so I'll likely have to call them again and go through the lengthy process of trying to get to a manager and maybe to even the elusive tier 2 support team. I have also been ghosted numerous times by Adobe tech support when phone calls were scheduled.

I agree this is likely a permissions issue but I haven't been able to track down the cause of it. I just updated to PS 23.3.2 today and, installed as an update, did not fix the issue. Maybe I'll try a clean install of it but at this point, I'm kind of tired of throwing mud at the wall. I would prefer the people that designed and engineered the software come on here or start calling the customers with meaningful troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad it doesn't work for you to use an external ssd. I think it is strange that that does work (I actually just thought to try it for the fun of it, but it actually works here).

Hopefully they will get back to you with a fix which actually works, as this is é&"'!èçà!!!

Especcially reading you had to redo everything, settings, program installation,.. that would take over a day here to do all that.. 

Maybe when enough people chime in with the same issues, Adobe will 'have' to look at this? But I assume they don't care enough, if it works for 99% of the people... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem and none of the fixes worked. I tried different Camera Raw versions and earlier photoshop and lightroom, uninstalling, reinstalling & rebooting. What worked for me was updating my graphics driver (HD graphics 520) through the Intel website. Now everything is working except scrubby zoom in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post and I'm happy to hear you found a fix for this issue. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing this issue on an Apple Silicon Mac Studio and all available updates have been installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending a lot of time contacting Adobe Tech Support, here is the outcome.

First, they are unable to identify the cause of the issue so unable to fix it. A bug for Lightroom Classic and Photoshop were created. Here is the last update I was provided before my case was closed.

"Hi Tony, 
The possible fix will be there with major upgrades (PS v 24.x and LrC v 12.x) the updates you've been installing  are patch updates and will not have a fix released with exiting version of these apps.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused, unfortunately you would have to wait a little longer.
We have logged bugs from both ends i.e. for Photoshop and LrC and respective bugs are PS-89856, LRD-4209507.
I am going to close this case now, please wait for the new version to be release, we don't have an ETA for that release yet."

So, for those of us that are experiencing this and none of the recommended troubleshooting steps correct it, we are SOL until the next major releases of LrC and PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Just yesterday I started to experience this problem. I could use 'Edit In' on all my other external editing plugins, just not Photoshop. That is, an 'Edit in' Pshop request on an image in LR would open or switch to Photoshop (if it was runnnig) but things would stop at the Open file screen. If I said open as a Smart Layer, it would load into Photoshop, but that's not what I wanted.
So I have been reading this and a few other threads I've found here and other places, and I've read about horribly difficult, but unsuccessful attempts to fix things by uninstalling newest upates, or getting into all kinds of diagnostic stuff and services.

Then I remembered that I had a similar problem a year ago with installing an update and spent a couple hours with an Adobe tech doing much of the same stuff I read about for this app -- and in the end the solution was incredibly simple, and it worked. We simply shut down all open CS apps, opened up Creative Cloud, and signed out. Then, we closed Creative Cloud. Opened it again, signed in again, and tried to update again -- and it worked!

So I just did the same thing for this problem. I simply signed out of my Adobe Account. Opened up Photoshop, signed in when requested, let it settle down (it seemed to take a little longer), then opened up LRC. 

Voila. It's fixed.

If you're here because you're looking for a fix, this is a harmless and easy enough one to try before trying any of the other more complicated and time-consuming ones.

I hope you get as lucky as I did. And if it worked for you, let everyone know.

Considering this is the second time this simple trick has worked for me in a related issue, I don't understand why this isn't in the Adobe tech's manuals as the first thing to try. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this and I hope it helps some people affected with this issue. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

I've also discovered another issue - when I open a raw file in Photoshop, it opens Adobe Camera Raw. I make my edits, click on Done and nothing happens. The file does not open in Photoshop, much like when I try to open a DNG file from Lightroom Classic, it doesn't open in Photoshop. I reset all Photoshop settings, following the steps from Adobe Support, and that didn't correct this issue.

This is really a huge hinderance as I was going to try using only ACR/PS for processing specific photos but even that isn't working and there's no ETA from Adobe on when this issue will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Yeah, it's often confusing.

'Done' in a RAW file edit simply 'adds' (sorta) the ACR edits you've made to the RAW file as it's assumed you want to leave the actual RAW data alone -- and as it is the true 'negative' of the image, that's a good idea.

'Open' is what you want if you want to use more Photoshop functions to the image, which then creates a new copy based on the ACR edits you've made and you then you can safely edit from there.

Many (and most) pro workflows make this a very smart option to have. But I think the nomenclature of the interface could be improved (it actually does give you some help when you hover over the 'Done' button, unless you have tooltips off  (I think). There's also other handy options using the modifier keys when clicking on either Done or Open. I'm, can't remember exactly what they are, but I'm away from the desk right now. I've been using Pshop for almost 30 years, but I still leave tooltips on hover on because, well, things change all the time in this incredibly deep piece of software.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I've always used Photoshop directly from Lightroom but due to the issue of not being able to use that workflow, I find myself in unfamiliar territories having to try various workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines