Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Performance using radial gradients on lots of pictures

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I face some issues with the working speed of LR / my Notebook using Lightroom.

I'm not sure if it is more related to my Hardware specs or to my workflow.

Typically, I Import 400 FUji raw files. Sometimes I apply an Import preset to them. I use the Standard previews on Import.

First I look through the imported files and reject and erase the bad ones.

Then I go thorugh the files and aplly my development (mostly exposure and Highlight/shadow).

Then I go through the files a last time crop them and add a radial gradiant.

Latest in the last step the Notebook runs ist fan on full load and LR becomes slow and laggy.

I do not know if the cpu lowers ist frequenzy or if it is a gerneral LR Topic and the Problem would also exist using a better Notebook.

I use a Asus ZenBook UX3410UA-GV078T

Intel i7 7500U

16 GB Ram

512 GB SSD

Intel HD Graphic 620

Win10

Do you think a better dedicated graphic Card or a processor that has more cores and is not one of the low voltage series would perform better?

I'm asking myself if - for my needs - getting e.g. a Dell XPS (wich cost 500 € more) would be worth it.

I would appriciate your commetns and help.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we have a cropped screen shot of that last step Simon?

Intrigued . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course.

I can send it this afternoon.

What do you want to see exactly?

Most Pictures are shots from people and I just add a little bit  +exposure to them to guide the eyes. Nothing special I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then I go through the files a last time crop them and add a radial gradient."

Can you screen shot this and crop it somewhat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response.

Please find the image attached.

info screen.png

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

512 GB is not particularly large. How much free disk space do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  schrieb

512 GB is not particularly large. How much free disk space do you have?

My system partition is 100 gb where 25 gb is free.

My secondary partition is 400 gb where 300 gb is free. I import the raw files to this drive. Edit  and export and then move them to a external drive.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your disk cache is probably on that 100 GB partition, and I'm thinking that you aren't providing enough breathing room for everything to function properly. Another observation. Editing your images and then moving them to the external hard drive really isn't accomplishing anything because Lightroom isn't touching those images. All of the adjustments are being stored in the catalog. The images are untouched. I think you would be better off NOT to have that partition. Keep the catalog on your SSD and import your images directly to your external hard drive. There would be no hit in performance, only improvement. If you really want to keep that partition then put the cache on the partition and import the images directly to the external hard drive. That would probably solve the problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, JimHess.

I'll test it.

I only move the exported jpgs to the external drive. I keep the raws on the iinternal ssd and delete them after some days. Just for the case that there is the idea to edit in another style....

My external drive is not a ssd, therefore I only use it to store the jpgs.

I checked my LR Settings. The cataloge is stored on the SSD 400gb partition. But the camera raw cache is on the 100gb primary partition and limited to 5gb...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is well known that brushing and/or spot healing will cause this laggy behavior and heat to build up requiring the fans to work hard.

I don't know if the radial filter fits in the same category or not, but its possible. So some things you can try to see if the problem improves:

• turn off the GPU acceleration in Lightroom (Preferences->Performance tab->uncheck "Use Graphics Processor")
  • make the image smaller or your screen (zoom in at 3:1 for example, and then do the radial filter)

If either of those help, then you need a faster CPU and/or a faster GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I 'll try out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can manage your images any way you choose. However, you don't need a SSD to store your images because Lightroom doesn't access your images after it imports them. All of the activity is handled in the catalog. You are wise to have the catalog on the SSD. But moving images back and forth is accomplishing nothing because Lightroom simply references them. And in my opinion, keeping JPEG images and throwing away raw images is like keeping prints and throwing away the negatives. But if that is the way you like to run your workflow, I suppose that's fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines