• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Import dialog does not list any images

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 is not seeing that a folder of images I'm trying to import has any images in it. The folder is question has well over 5,000 jpegs (it's my iPhone image depository). While I was able to import images from this folder with no problem in LR4, LR5 is telling me that there are no images in the folder. I've double checked that all my import settings are normal and the same as LR4 and it doens't matter. No matter what I do, I cannot get LR5 to see that there are any images in this folder to import.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio

Here's an image of what's happening:

Screenshot_6_12_13_11_30_PM.jpg

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

SOLVED FOR ME:

I discovered that my folder had an XMP file in it. When I removed that file from the directory Lightroom could see the folder and contents.

It looks like the XMP was created on my phone by Apple's built-in image editing tool, which would (partly) explain why it showed up on my import from Image Capture. I can't seep to replicate that, however — I just shot and edited a photo on my phone and imported w/ Image Capture and no XMP file showed up.

I hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 160 Replies 160
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here:

Lightroom 5

Mac OS X 10.8.4

Try to import CR2 files from CF card - files show in import screen but then will not import

"Import Results

Some import operations were not performed.

The following files were not imported because they could not be read (1)"

Then lists files......

I tried copying CR2 files to a temporary folder on my desktop but get exactly the same message. Also tried importing iPhone images and get exactly the same message.

This all worked for the first week LR5 was installed and has just started happening!

Have no problems at all in Lightroom 4.4

l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this start happening after the last update of your Mac OSX system Check that your user permissions for the location you are trying to import the files to are full read and write.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm set as the admin, so nothing should have changed (?) The location hasn't changed

Where would I check permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain to me your comment about user permissions and exactly where these are and what I have to do. Having the same problem importing from my Canon 6D. Says they are CR2 files and cant be imported. I see them on Finder on the card.  Before I start import it says there are no photos to import. I tried unchecking, do not import duplicates but that changes nothing.

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing. the photos show up in the camera, but when I put the card in a reader and plug it into the computer Finder sees the card but says there are no photos, just as when I connect the camera directly to the computer. Is there some setting wrong in the camera?

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(You have stumbled on an 'old' thread. If correct answers are not being given you might be better to start a new thread, and by giving more detailed information of your system and workflow.)

What camera model ?  The 6D  or the 6D MkII ?

Every new camera comes with a 'new' version of the raw file format  (Canon-CR2  Nikon-NEF)

Is your Camera model supported by the version of Lightroom you have? Check here- Cameras supported by Camera Raw

6D needs  v4.3.   6D MkII needs v6.12

This is the first step you need to solve.

Permissions:  Lightroom needs to be able to READ and WRITE to all the folders it requires.

The Import Destination folder must have full Read/Write permissions.

Read chapter- "How to View and change permissions...."

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X - Apple Support

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am shooting with the 6D and the 5DS and having importing

problems with both. When you say to read the chapter on "How to View and

Change Permissions", where is this chapter?

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change Permissions", where is this chapter?

Three-quarter way down this long document at Apple Support, link as above- Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X - Apple Support

ScreenShot191.jpg

shooting with the 6D

Yes, but which 6D?    The 6D, or the 6Dmk11 ?   They need different versions of Lightroom.

If your operating system (Mac Finder) cannot see any photos on the SD card in a card reader, then you do perhaps have a camera problem. Is it actually recording to the SD card. Can you try viewing the card in another computer?

If there are images on the card, the card reader and cable are ok, AND you have a compatible version of Lightroom for the camera, then you should be able to see the photos in the Import dialog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6d. Says it needs Lightroom 6 and I can't find that to download it.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start again-

What camera model  the 'old' 6D,  OR the 'new' 6D Mark11 ?

What version number of Lightroom do you have?  (Do not answer the 'latest')

Are you using the desktop full version of Lightroom, or are you talking about the iPad 'mobile' version?

Have you corrected permissions on the destination folders?

Do you have some images in the Library already?

Quote any error messages in detail that you get  when trying to import. A screen-clip helps.

Where do you see the words- "no photos to import" Have they already been imported once before?

Very difficult to help with answers not knowing the details of your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, given that your problem is pretty different and not solved by the newly-discovered fix I'd recommend starting a new thread to get it looked at properly.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED FOR ME:

I discovered that my folder had an XMP file in it. When I removed that file from the directory Lightroom could see the folder and contents.

It looks like the XMP was created on my phone by Apple's built-in image editing tool, which would (partly) explain why it showed up on my import from Image Capture. I can't seep to replicate that, however — I just shot and edited a photo on my phone and imported w/ Image Capture and no XMP file showed up.

I hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drew, you are the KING! Thanks a bazillion.

Yes, there was an XMP file in the folder. Once ai removed it Lightroom 5 saw all the images in there just fine.

Seems like this is SOLVED for me too.

Antonio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no XMP file here, so the problem persits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!

Yep, there was an XMP file in my folder also. Deleted it and now it's fine.

It's a shame it's not the same fix for you, Gary. Frustrating, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is VERY frustrating, especially as LR5 has worked perfectly until yesterday and nothing has changed,

I found one .xmp file asscoiated with Elements and have deleted that but with no result.

Even worse I'm due away on an assignment next weekend for 10 days and would have liked to have use LR5 on that, as the radial fliter would have been useful.

So I'm stuck with LR4 until something happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just found a workaround - I've used "Import from another catalog" to get the files from LR4 to LR5 - a workaround but not a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried three things:

First Round when i posted my first Comment on 26.06.13:

1a) Connecting iPhone 5 via USB. Opening Import-Menu. Not Working

2a) Imported the Files to the Desktop via "Digital-Pictues" and then tried to import them to LR. Not Working (No Files found)

Then today i tried it again, after deleting the .xmp file-workaround was discovered by Drew.

1b) Deleting the .XMP file from the previously imported files (2a) from the Desktop. WORKED

2b) Importing Files from a CF-Card with Canon Raw  and Video Files. WORKED

3b) Then i reconnected my iDevice and tried to import (1a). Somehow it worked. Which would not have worked before. WORKED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with an image from iPhone. I deleted . XMP files in the folder, and now it appeared. A problem solved. I believed Lightroom 5 won't read .xmp files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone post the contents of one of these troublesome XMP files (if it is small enough), or post a copy of the file so we can take a look at it and determine why it is causing so much trouble? It might be some sort of DRM, so it's entire purpose is to prevent other applications from reading the contenst of a folder. Of course, that doesn't explain why LR4 isn't effected, but it's a place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 4.4.0">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:aas="http://ns.apple.com/adjustment-settings/1.0/">

<aas:CropX>0</aas:CropX>

<aas:CropY>0</aas:CropY>

<aas:CropW>640</aas:CropW>

<aas:CropH>641</aas:CropH>

<aas:AffineA>1</aas:AffineA>

<aas:AffineB>0</aas:AffineB>

<aas:AffineC>0</aas:AffineC>

<aas:AffineD>1</aas:AffineD>

<aas:AffineX>0</aas:AffineX>

<aas:AffineY>-98</aas:AffineY>

</rdf:Description>

xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/">

<crs:CropAngle>0</crs:CropAngle>

<crs:CropTop>0.230208</crs:CropTop>

<crs:CropBottom>0.897917</crs:CropBottom>

<crs:CropLeft>0</crs:CropLeft>

<crs:CropRight>1</crs:CropRight>

<crs:HasCrop>True</crs:HasCrop>

<crs:AlreadyApplied>False</crs:AlreadyApplied>

xmlns:tiff="http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/">

<tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you alexkaula.

The contents here are simply crop and orientation information translated for different standards (Apple, Adobe, and TIFF).

Someone else sent me their XMP file and it was quite different from this, but it still was just some basic metadata (date/time stuff). In this case, I was also sent the accompanying image file, and when both the image file and XMP file were place in the same location, my LR 5 was able to see the image in the Import dialog box and imported without issue.

So far nothing conclusive.

Where an XMP file was the source of the issue, was there only one XMP file per folder? Or was there one XMP file per file in the folder and all had to be removed to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome,

in my case i had one XMP file. Had around 800 pictures and movies in the folder. And more than one were somehow edited (photo app, snapseed, autostitch or skitch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom definitely reads XMP files. But those files should have the same name as another file within the same folder. And then Lighroom should only pay attention to how the XMP file affects that particular file. It's very strange that a single, innocuous XMP file could throw off Lightroom so much. It would make more sense if only the one file that the XMP is attached to couldn't be seen. Definitely need further investigation here.

Any volunteers that are currently experiencing this specific behavior (XMP file prevents files from showing up in Import dialog) to let me look at their computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustraing. As I have no xmp files on my mac and yet I am suffering a very similar problem - images show in the import dialog but then will not import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines