• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Trial - Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed LR5 final and upgraded my LR4 catalog. Output Sharpening does nothing when exporting. noise reduction doesn't work also, exportet jpej look awful. is this a trial limitation maybe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

This has been fixed in the Release Candidate of Lightroom 5.2, available now at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5-2/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well you're lucky. issue is still there. even adobe has confirmed it now. and for me it's quite a big one. i'd like to go back to beta but can't find a place to download it anymore and not sure if it will open this new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not experiencing any issues with Sharpening in LR5, at least in my case (and probably many others) is with the NR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice any difference with noise (but I didn't apply any NR) in my exported jpgs but the pics I happened to examine were shot outside at low ISO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list of known issues in Lr 5 is rather startling, especially the last two:

• Photos adjusted using Process Version 2003 incorrectly display a “Post Crop Vignette: Paint Overlay” History step. Selecting a subsequent History State can reset existing settings that follow that state in the History panel. This reset cannot be undone, effectively deleting any settings that have been applied after the selected History State. This only occurs with images adjusted in PV2003.
  • Images exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings.

The serious issue reported by Jeffrey Friedl also puts a potential hold on me jumping into Lr 5.

But the output sharpening is the most serious since it essentially stops me from using Publish Services. I use the feature extensively and routinely resize to less than 1/3 of the orginal. I know that I can work around the sharpening issue -- I have Ps CS6 -- but I see no work around within Publish Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wolf Eilers wrote:

The serious issue reported by Jeffrey Friedl also puts a potential hold on me jumping into Lr 5.

I hate that bug! (and I reported it during the beta).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok people don´t get me wrong, this situation made mad also but...

there are some work around to this;

- do your nr and sharpening outside lr5, then do the export.

- if you don´t have a way to do the above, then forget that option,

- else do your export at least 2048 and you will found no problem. or a bigger size if apply.

- if 2048 it´s too big for your needs, then do the export again at the smaller size you are looking for.

i know this is a pain in the neck, but there are some works around, i have been using lr5 since it came out, i found the problem and i said, oh boy... but what can i do, nothing, at least the product is fuctional for me and i use my works around, Adobe is aware of the peoblem and the only thing that we can do is to made noise and post about the bugs wherever possible, bad publicity is what hurts big companies the more, but they will fix it, when? i have no idea, but i will not loose my sleep because of this, i´m using my work arounds and for the 99.99% of the product it´s working. so i wish i could go to adobe and bang on the door and claim my customer rights, but we all know the truth is.... we have to wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a resizing export filter, like Lr/Mogrify (or PreviewExporter), then you only have to export once - all nr/sharpening will be applied..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, this is the perfect workaround for me, I am using Morgrify since a long time. I just deacitvated the LR resize option and use the Mogrify resize instead. The exported JPGs are looking great now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreas HH wrote:

Rob, this is the perfect workaround for me, I am using Morgrify since a long time. I just deacitvated the LR resize option and use the Mogrify resize instead. The exported JPGs are looking great now. Thanks!

Sounds great. I rolled it into a turn-key plugin too in case you want to try.

The main differences vs. just doin' it yerself using Lr/Mogrify are:

* Auto-detects whether correction is needed (so you can leave it inserted during all exports whether they need it or not, until Adobe fixes).

* Applies a little output sharpening after resizing - consistent with output sharpening settings in export dialog box, but not applied to the full-size export - looks a littler nicer, in my opinion.

Lr5.0 Export AutoFix

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock

Charles Uibel

801 573 1668

http://CharlesUibel.com

http://www.ReallyPhotography.com

http://www.GreatSaltLakePhotography.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Americhickens wrote:

You rock

Thanks Charles .

Please contact me outside the forum if you encounter any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very very much Rob, for all your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr5.0 Export AutoFix (@v2.0) no longer requires ImageMagick/mogrify.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question.  Um... IS IT FIXED YET?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, probably we have to wait until 5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also not sure if I understand this problem correctly. My workflow is to import RAWs into Lightroom, do some basic adjustment, export them in full size as Smart Objects to Photoshop, work on them with Silver Efex Pro 2, save them, then export them from Lightroom with output sharpening in a small size for my website.

Does this problem apply to me?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a known issue, documented by Adobe, that exporting from LR5.0 with a size 1/3 of the original size or smaller will result in the problem, so depending on the ratio of the original to your small-size-for-my-website size, it may apply to you.

See this blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ssprengel,

Thanks for your reply. I knew that Blog entry, but it was still not really clear for me. In the heading they talk about Sharpening, then in the text also about output sharpening. With normal sharpening I should have no problem, because I export to Photoshop in full size. However then I apply output sharpening on export with a size that is smaller than 1/3. So is it the normal sharpening that is not applied or the output sharpening?

Cheers, Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Plug-Ins or CS CC or Photoshop CS6 it does not apply. I had made some test and it only happens when you only use the LR5 NR and the LR5 Sharpening functions.

As I said, if I do my NR and Sharpening out of LR5 it works perfect, it does not matter what size I export them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh great. Adobe is notifying me whenever someone else is running into this

problem.

[email signature removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charles, you are automatically following a forum thread via e-mail notifications because you contributed to it, previously.

You can control whether this by clicking the Stop Email Notifications link at the top right of the web version of this thread which you can get to by clicking View the full discussion link in your e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand, but in this case I'm sure everyone in this thread only

wants to hear that the problem is fixed. Can adobe make this a "notify me

when this is fixed" thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course it's unlikely. it's unlikely that this suggestion will even move

beyond this conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will notify you once 5.1 is available.

For me the most disappointing thing here is not that the issue is there but that Adobe does not deliver a hotfix for it. They should realize how important this issue is too many people, have their developers and testers work day and night and then deliver a patch within a week or so ...

Cheers, Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines