• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR6 - no longer compatible with MacBook. What are the 'subscription free' alternatives please?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, like many others I purchased LR6 back in 2016, used it with great effect for both cataloging and editing. I have about 7K photos (not many compared with most, but I'm not a Pro photographer) all tagged and some edited (JPEG & RAW). I have moved from Windows to Macbook, old windows m/c returned to employer. I will have Mac for next +5 years or more, its on OS Monterey. Tonight after downloading LR6 standalone from Adobe, I find OS Monterey is NOT compatible with LR6 download, (download still available from Adobe until end 2023). Like many I cannot or do not want to pay a subscription to continue with LR. I am not prepared to change Mac OS either, to get around problem.

So, I am asking the community what alternatives I have moving forward. I am prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a stand alone package, equally happy to use free ware with a donation, I do not need industry leading software. I am looking for something that will give cataloging (and if possible will be compatible with cataloging already done in LR6, so I do not have to re-catalogue all my photos) and some editing. If I have to have 2 separate packages (cataloging & editing) I m OK with that.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered, thanks, Jon.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/campaign/pricing.html?sdid=KKTJE&mv=search&ef_id=...

plans.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility is Photoshop Elements, I am not up to date with that application, however there is a chance it might be able to get info from your Lightroom Catalog but certainly if you saved your edits in Lightroom to XMP it will read that information. There is a forum in the Community, post your question there.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/ct-p/ct-photoshop-elements?page=1&sort=latest_repl...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • Importing from or extracting from the catalog may be a big problem. I am sure other members will clarify/correct. Not sure if ON1 RAW has that for example.
  • Having a replacement Digital Access Manager (DAM) is not a big hurdle, heck I suppose you could use Bridge while it still exists (rumors only) . And some newer competitors have added that.
  • Non destructive edits is no longer an issue. But play close attention to info provided by the various programs.
  • Free, is sort of an issue, especially in migration from catalog.
  • Non subscription for now is not a problem. Some of the competitors offer subscription and non subscription, difference being update/upgrade path.

see:

10 Top Alternatives to Adobe Lightroom Classic: Tutsplus

Best Adobe Lightroom alternatives of 2022: Techradar

Lightroom Alternatives in 2022: Havecamerawilltravel

lots of additional links, just browse the Internet, Google on Lightroom Classic alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines