• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak - out of memory/force quit 12.0.1 - LrC 11

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recieved a new Macbook Pro with M1 Pro CPU and 16GB of memory..  I have migrated from my older Macbook Pro and updated all software to latest versions.   When running Lightroom Classic today, it was syncing photos in the background from Adobe Cloud and it consumed well over 12GB of RAM eventually causing the computer to run out of memory, requiring me to force quit another (less critical) application to recover a little memory and resume.  I then tried to exit Lightroom but it ran out again and I had to be force quit Lightroom itself.

Macbook Pro 14-inch 2021 - Apple M1 Pro

16GB Ram

1TB SSB

MacOS Monterey 12.0.1

Lightroom Classic 11.0

Creative Cloud 5.6.0.788

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds symptomatic of a bad install/migration.

Two step process to restore your Lightroom Classic installation.

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

After this you need to do a Clean reinstall

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

Let us know if it cures your memory leak. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually reduced my problem with somsuming all available ram on my macbook pro retina mid 2014 with mac os big sur and Lightroom classic 12.1.

Now it appears to reatrict illself to 2.5 - 3.0 GB and no memory warnings appears.

Best regards

Torben Bang Pedersen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that my Macbook has only 8 GB of Ram and is still usable with the lastest version of Lrc, light room and creative cloud.

/Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

woow, but now I can't quit lightroom, not even a forced quit, so I have to shut down or restart the mac.

I'll keep you posted i this continues,

/Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that fix your problem? Just curious because I have run into the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a problem with a bad install, I had a fresh install on a 64GiB M1 MacBook Pro do the same multiple times. There seems to be some issues with LrC that Adobe needs to address. Or, there is an issue with the latest Mac OS since I see some info flying on the internet that alks about memory leak in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a new M1 Pro with 32GB unified memory, but have not seen this problem, and all my images synced successfully after the upgrade. The latest information on the macOS Monterey memory leak is that it’s connected to custom pointers (see Monterey’s memory leak and how to avoid it), which sounds innocuous but that linked article says it can build up quickly in applications you wouldn’t expect to be affected. Try the workaround in the linked article and see if that helps.

With some Lightroom Classic 11 operations I have seen higher Memory Pressure than I would expect under 32GB unified memory, but I have not yet seen any out of memory messages.

For now we need to keep an eye out for the next macOS update, because if it is known to fix the macOS memory leak, then that would tell us that any memory problems with Lightroom Classic would be caused by something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One trick that I learned to keep LrC from crashing, is to make sure that I open one of the subfolders with very few pictures in it while sync is ongoing. I have more that 100K pictures and if I keep "All Photographs" open (despite minimized window) I will experience the OOM crash. Seems like the constant update of the pictures and bottom ribon with photographs drive memory consumption. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wanted to post an update. I haven't had a lot of time to use Lightroom lately, but for the little bit I have done, I haven't had a second occurance of this error, even after letting it finish the cloud sync process.  I will likely get some more time to work in lightroom over the holiday week so we will see if it happens again then.

Software versions as of this update.

MacOS 12.0.1

Lightroom Classic 11.0.1

Creative Cloud 5.6.0.788

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my 64GB Macbook Pro.

LrC crashed twice due to the memory overload since I upgraded to the v12. Never had that problem with previous versions and I'm using LrC daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread relates to LrC 11.x whilst your issue relates to LrC 12. Therefore, I suggest you start an new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines