Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Folders

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been digitizing old photos for some time now with a D850.  My workstream is pretty straightforward, or so I think.  After "shooting" a bunch of pix, I drop the XQD card into a card reader I have attached to my Mac, Import the photos, then, in LRCC, move them to my subfolder of choice (my "D850 Digitized Images" folder). 

I've now just started to take "real" pictures with the D850 so tonight I imported a few pictures using my aforementioned process.  I want to move them to a new folder on the NAS that will only house these "real" pictures (separate from the digitized versions (my "D850 Pictures" folder)).   However, when I clicked on the "+" sign in Folders, then selected Add Folder, navigated to my "D850 Pictures" folder on my NAS, LR said there were no photos there and the process stopped.

So, using my Disk Station Manager from the NAS, I went ahead and brought the photos from the XQD into the "D850 Pictures" folder on my NAS".  Now, when I click on the "+" sign in Folders, then select Add Folder, navigate to my "D850 Pictures" folder on my NAS, the images show up in LR but are "greyed out", plus I can't see my "D850 Digitized Images" folder in LR.

Appreciate any advice on how to get out of this mess.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We assume from your post that both the "digitizing old photos" and taking "real" pictures are being shot in the Nikon .NEF file format on its way into Lightroom?

You want to end up with both project shots on your NAS but in different folders correct?

What version Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, everything I shoot is in NEF RAW.

Yes, I want to be able to choose which folder the NEF files end up in on the NAS.  I think the original issue is that while the folder for the "real" pictures was setup on the NAS, LR does not seem to be able to show that folder if there's nothing in it.

I am running V 8.3.1

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to create a folder in Lightroom for this. What you can do is create a new folder on the NAS outside of Lightroom. Then, in the import dialog (destination panel), that folder will be visible and selectable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I did exactly as you stated.  My "real" picture folder has been setup on the NAS for quite a while. 

I think the original issue is that while the folder for the "real" pictures was setup on the NAS, LR does not seem to be able to show that folder if there's nothing in it.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. No, Lightroom won’t show that folder in the Library module. But it can and will show each and every folder that is present anywhere on your system in the destination panel of the import dialog, allowing you to add images to it on import. After you have done that, Lightroom will also show it in the Library, because it now contains imported images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

After reading numerous blogs and posts, I have figure it out.  All I needed to do was right click in the Folders select the Show Parent Folder.  Now, everything on my NAS appears and I am able to import from my XQD card and select the folder I want to put them in.  Typical Adobe product - unintuitive as all get-out.

On the other issue, I've found that when I import photos from my card reader, they are placed into an "Untitled" folder.  When I am done with my LR edits, I move the picture to the folder of my choice on my NAS but THE PICTURES REMAIN IN THE UNTITLED FOLDER!  I wish they would automatically drop out of the Untitled folder when I move them to their final destination as it is tedious to have to constantly have to "clean out" the Untitled folder.

Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

kevinh3063037  wrote

Hi Johan,

After reading numerous blogs and posts, I have figure it out.  All I needed to do was right click in the Folders select the Show Parent Folder.  Now, everything on my NAS appears and I am able to import from my XQD card and select the folder I want to put them in.  Typical Adobe product - unintuitive as all get-out.

On the other issue, I've found that when I import photos from my card reader, they are placed into an "Untitled" folder.  When I am done with my LR edits, I move the picture to the folder of my choice on my NAS but THE PICTURES REMAIN IN THE UNTITLED FOLDER!  I wish they would automatically drop out of the Untitled folder when I move them to their final destination as it is tedious to have to constantly have to "clean out" the Untitled folder.

Thanks for your response.

Well, even Adobe Fanboys can accept that Lightroom sucks when NAS is involved

Personally I have never been a fan of using a NAS for anything other than a backup storage option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines