• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 6.x crashes in the facial recognition module

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a week my Lightroom crashes when opening the facial recognition modul. Program closes. 

I am working with Windows 10. 

I do not know. Mayby it has something to do with the latest Windows Update: 8. Dezember 2020 – KB4592438 (Betriebssystembuilds 19041.685 und 19042.685

Or it has something to do with the Installation of Photoshop Elements 2021 / Adobe Premiere Elements 2021

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Please see: https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/12/6-14-now-available-last-perpetual-update-of-lightroom.html 

Unfortunately, this product will receive no additional updates. 

Lightroom Classic is currently version 10.1 and available as an upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 210 Replies 210
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on windows 8 and mine crashes as soon as I press the "O" key.  Not only that, the little face Icon, right above the film strip on the bottom left disappeared.  I even tried starting a new catalog and nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Lightroom 6.14 is old software and not supported on the latest operating system versions, so we'll leave this thread open for any solutions that other Lightroom users come across, but it's not a bug that Adobe will fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, on windows 10. As soon as I open the facial recognition module, Lightroom crashes.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, opening an earlier version of the catalog, same issue.

And it was working flawlessly a few days ago: I successfully ran the analysis on hundred of pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still here. LR6 face recognition is failing and I'm still waiting for some things to finalize. I hope to be able to share more in one month (including an explanation why this all took so long).

It's not a solution but maybe information that could help to address the issue.

As said before: the cause is the expired license for the face recognition module. No doubts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another life sign. Still waiting for something to happen. Will update once I know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those dealing with this issue - I've found that deleting or renaming the entire CIT directory does not allow for the export of face region annotations correctly, nor identify faces as a People Tag - (I noticed the difference in Synology photo station).  I recommend renaming the libfrsdk-8.6.0 file (windows: .dll, MacOS: .so) to something that won't load, but leaving the CIT directory intact - then the rest of the CIT faces interface can still be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe knew their library licences were going to expire for maps and face recognition then they should have made these dates known at the time of purchase. If they didnt know they were going to expire then they are negligent. I dont know which is worse. The face recognition bug is now bricking my copy of the application. Adobe, you have effectivly put a hidden time limit to the 'perpetual software licence' I currently cant even access my library of 10,000s of images without first faking the date on my PC to pre Nov 2020. There is a difference between updates to current functionality ('the software is no longer supported') and fixing a bug that slowly removes paid for functionality and/or kills a program that we bought at a date that Adobe must have known about but not made clear at the point of purchase, surely that is not legal? If I can no longer use software I have paid for then I would like a refund please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it seems like works in windows8 compatibility mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6.14 installed on my desktop for everyday use & my laptop for when on holidays. Lightroom on the desktop is crashing like everyone elses when using People/Face Recognition and started in December the same. It will work if I change the date back.

However the program on the laptop is not crashing at all when using People/Face Recognition.  The laptop has the current date set and works with no manipulation at all. The difference is the laptop has not been online since middle to late last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay tuned... I'm still working on something and there might be some light at the end of the tunnel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have learned that Geolocation had stopped working around 2 years ago and face recognition a month ago.

Is there any other feature or even an essential functionality which has stopped working so far?

I read something about problems with importing new photos or creating virtual copies which I luckily haven't had so far (fingers crossed!)?

I am working on two Macs, both with older operating systems (LR 6.0 with MacOS 10.9 and LR 6.14 with MacOS 10.12).

Please those who are suffering further issues, let me know what those are so that I am getting aware of the full trouble I might be facing as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's embarassing that Adobe does not WANT to help with that issue. I understand that they won't support new OS or new cameras, etc. but stop working an UNCHANGED system because of a date check is unacceptable for me.

I think many of us have been paying (and would continue to do so) for  new versions every year or two but on a VOLUNTARY base rather than being forced by a rental model. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting kicked out of Lightroom classic every time I go to people mode.  It was working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not be a license expiry... If I look at the file date of the DLL that seems to cause the problems ("libfrsdk-8.6.0.dll"), I see 12 Dec 2017 (which is a few days before the release date of LR 6.14 I could find BTW: 19 Dec 2017).

Now I also think that the date LR started to fail on us is 9 Dec 2020.

If I think software and programming... suppose they used an integer to somehow calculate the offset between the DLL date and now. Max integer size is 2^16 (65536), suppose these were minutes.

If I subtract that exact amount of minutes from the 'fail date' 9 Dec 2020, I get 12 Dec 2017 (the file date of the DLL). Coincidence? Or a programming error? Define the variable as LONG-type integer and our problems might disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. Is there any other software I can change - without monthly fees?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nature man: It's great to find such discussions. The workaround by changing the system date works fine for me. I would never have found a workaround like this without your help!

@Windows users: to make it a little bit more convenient:
I wrote a batch file to change the date, start lightroom, wait a few seconds and then resync the date. As the date commands need to be run as admin I chose a second workaround startin the batch via link.

1. create a batch file:

date 01-12-18
timeout /t 2
start "" "C:\Program Files\adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe"
timeout /t 30
w32tm /resync

(perhaps you have to change the path in the line start ....!)

2. create a link to this batch on your desktop

3. right click on the link, properties, advanced, tick run as admin

4. Start Lightroom by using this link!

Works fine for me. Nevertheless it isn't fully tested. Use at your own risk 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I discovered that by opening LR6 in win 8 compatibility mode (with full administrative grants) the face recognition function worked properly one more time. The side effect is LR6 became obviously less responsive and fast (and it wasn't so fast running on Win10). Anyway, is it confirmed that 1) the system PC date has to be changed to november (for eg), 2) open LR, 3) change the system PC date to the correct one, 4) face recognition is ok and pictures are stored with the correct information into the catalogue? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not only crashes when detecting faces, it crashes when I create a virtual copy. Face detection is turned off. WTF Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in similar situation.

I do not generally use Facial recognition, but I tried it today.

Low and behold, crash.

I rebooted, and from than on it will not even last 5 seconds, but crash immediately

Steps taken:

Uninstalled LR6, including the preferences.

Updated to latest windows version

Updated all PC firmware

Changed the GP status by editing the "Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs" file.

lasted a few more minutes, as I was able to change the preferences.

Still no joy  

System: Dell 7540

Windows 10

LR ver 6.14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom works fine, unless I try to to open "faces" to tag pictures, and then Lightroom crashes.  I have tagged 1000's of faces in the past, but now, all of sudden, this crashing is happening.  I'm running Lightroom as administrator.  I have deleted and reinstalled Lightroom 6.14, and I have reset the preferences.  I have also set the language to "en".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to contact the company that created the DLL (it's a German company) and left them a message explaining the situation and asking for their help.

If Adobe reads this (and I know they do), I hope they will help. If they won't help, I hope the original owners of the DLL will help as for both companies there's only something to win (and nothing to lose)...

On top of that, it's almost Christmas, so wouldn't it be nice if... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Hoping someone will find a fix (they did that for Maps too).

But what I really hope is that Adobe helps; maybe not because they have to, but because they care for old official users. I believe this can be a simple fix (probably just another DLL).

*Victoria Bampton anything you can do to trigger help from somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem on Macbook Pro under High Sierra. Resetting  system date to a few years ago allowed LR to start up again after which I could exit, set system clock back to normal, and restart LR normally.

DO NOT USE FACIAL RECOGNITION!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I was able to use facial recognition on Dec 6th 2020, but today Dec 14th 2020 it crashes Lightroom 6.14 every time I select it.  I'm on Windows 10 but I also see a Mac OS having problems.  I do get an Application error in my Event Viewer calling out this dll with this path - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\CIT\Plug-ins\FaceRecognition\libfrsdk-8.6.0.dll.  On my computer libfrsdk-8.6.0.dll certificate has not been updated since Dec 12th 2020, and it says that the certificate expires on Sep 4th 2019.  Manually setting my system clock back before this date keeps the module from crashing.  No idea how to fix the problem, but I think that the certificate on the dll may be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in a similar situation with a crash when selecting the facial recognition module - for me it happens with Lightroom Classic v6.14 on MacOS. The issue started today after importing some pictures. After that, I could not even start the program anymore as it keeps crashing on startup. Rolling back com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist to a previous version allows me to start Lightroom again but the crash in the facial recognition module persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines