Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Stats:

MacBook Pro M1 Max 16" 2021
Sonoma Version 14.2
Canon R6 Mark 1, Canon R6 Mark 2 and Canon R5 Mark 1

Lightroom Classic 13.02 and Camera Raw 16.0

Issue:  Lightroom has stopped recognizing my camera when I try to Tether.  It worked great a week ago with no issues.  Today I can't get it to connect no matter what I do.  I have tried multiple USB C cables, and yes, they are the data transfer 10Gbps thunderbolt compatible kind.  I have tried multiple cameras, including Canon R6, both mark 1 and mark 2 and Canon R5.  This setup literally worked great not 5 days ago.  I have not run any updates, or changed any software.  Now I cannot get Lightroom to connect.  I've rebooted, restarted, plugged in, swapped out, and done everything I can think to do but nothing seems to work.  Capture One seems to have no issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any suggestions?  I am primarily a portrait photographer, so not being able to shoot tethered is affecting my business, especially this time of year.  I've had to go back to a competing software just to tether, and I hate it.  Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Sonoma 14.2.1 was released earlier today and has bug fixes in this area.  If you are currently on 14.2 and having issues with Tether, USB Cable-connected devices, or Card readers, you may want to consider updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is similar to my report of LRC not detecting an attached iPhone to import: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-not-detecting-iphone-...

Seems something in macOS 14.2 has caused this because everything still works on an older version of macOS for me.

In my case I can confirm the iPhone is connected to the computer, it's just LRC that can't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem with Sonoma 14.2. We have advised Apple. Please do not update to Sonoma 14.2 if you depend upon externally connected devices.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/alert-it-isn-t-recommended-to-upgrade-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I'm already on 14.2 and it won't be easy to roll back.  I guess I'll just have to deal with a workaround until Adobe and Apple are able to sort the issues out.  I appreciate the response.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the same boat as you, and I read on another forum that the Sonoma 14.3 beta fixes the tethering issue. I installed the beta, and I can confirm that tethering in both Lightroom and Helicon Remote are working again. Obviously not everyone is going to be comfortable installing a beta Mac OS, but it's way easier than downgrading, and so far I've not had any other issues with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to 14.3 beta, but still having the same issues.  And now Photomechanic and Capture One aren't working either.  I have an old MacBook Air on 14.0 and that seems to still work fine with Lightroom, so using that for now, but it's super frustrating.  I'll keep watching the forums and hoping for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that they just released 14.3 beta 2.  Has anyone else tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't use Beta software for critical production work, do you?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially I had updated to Beta on accident.  I had turned it on for one of my older computers, and when I setup the new laptop, I used the settings from the old one to setup the new one.  Everything worked fine until the Beta 14.2 update, and I was kind of stuck at that point.  Once the next full release comes out, I won't use the beta releases anymore.

FWIW, the old computer is on 14.1 and has no issues with tethering, and I will not update it until the issue is resolved on the later releases.  I'm using the older system for tethering live at shoots, and the new computer for editing.

And to follow up on the Beta 3.2, it does not resolve the tethering issue for me either.  When I connect the camera via USB, the camera display shows a little computer icon with the battery power level abovie it.  Canon EOS Utility says it cannot communicate with the camera via USB and to close any programs that may interfere.  So I close everything, but still get the message.  When I have the Utility turned off, Lightroom will not recognize the camera either and just keeps searching for a camera.  Everything works absolutely fine on the older computer with no issues, so I'm sure that the problem is with Apple's operating system communicating with the camera.

Now if we could just get Lightroom to figure out wireless tethering....... I know there's workarounds, and I've used them, but they are clunky and fiddly and less than ideal.  In an age where practically everything is cutting cords and going wireless, I would love to see camera systems take that leap, too.  Especially since many of them already have built in wireless and bluetooth capabilities.  But that's a topic for another thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, my camera is no longer recognized when tethering with Lightroom Classic. It used to work without any problems. I use the Canon EOS R5. The camera is connected to the Mac via USB-C. I have tried different cables, a different camera and deleted the Lightroom List file. None of it helps.

When I want to connect to the camera, it says "connect to camera". Then nothing happens.

When I connect the camera with the Canon Utility software, it works. So the problem is once again with Adobe Lightroom.

I have installed the newest software version of Lightroom Classic and Mac-OS.

Has anyone else had this problem recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 14.2 broke tethering with LrC.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure? And nobody is likely to take care of this problem. It's really annoying when you have customers and the whole thing is not working anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Flohr of Adobe has warned against updating Mac OS to 14.2 for several reasons. He also said they are working with Apple for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that issue already with version 14.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, it's a very good practice to keep an eye on this forum for alerts to problems that might occur if you just automatically update the Mac OS and LrC without knowing what the consequences might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm encountering a frustrating issue with my Canon EOS R6 and Lightroom Classic setup. I usually shoot tethered with a cable to my MacBook Pro. However, for the past three days, I've been unable to tether my camera to Lightroom Classic – it simply doesn't recognize the camera anymore.

To troubleshoot, I tested the same camera and cable on a different computer, and it worked without any issues. This suggests that the problem might be specific to my MacBook Pro. I've even tried downgrading Lightroom Classic to version 12.5.1, but this didn't resolve the problem.

I'm wondering if there might be another factor at play here, possibly related to the Camera Raw update or something else that might affect the tethering functionality. I'm a bit lost as to what else I can try.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or have any insights on how to fix this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonoma 14.2.1 was released earlier today and has bug fixes in this area.  If you are currently on 14.2 and having issues with Tether, USB Cable-connected devices, or Card readers, you may want to consider updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Sonoma 14.2.1 on an a new M1 MacBook Air - so a new build with no legacy data and installed Lightroom Classic 13.1 .

Tethered capture (with or withour a Canon R5 connected via USB) crashes Lightroom after specifying destination for files and hitting OK.

After a few moments an Adobe dialogue box pops up saying 'sorry an error ocurred' with the option to provide an error report, which I have done.

As suggested in a seperate thread I ensured that Lightroom Classic had full accessibility and file access permissions, however this did not resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I updated to Sonoma 14.3 public release and now Lightroom is tethering again to both my Canon R5 and Canon R6.  I am very happy that the issue is fixed, but I really wish Adobe and Apple could work together to prevent stuff like this in future releases.  It would also be great if Adobe could figure out wireless tethering.  Everything else I own seems to be moving in the wireless direction, and it would be great to be able to shoot without having to worry about a big cord hanging off my camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering support on LR has been so incredibly tiring. I hasn't worked properly since a long time, every time I go on field with all other professionals ready to shoot and need this to work and it's suddenly not working. Also still having to rely on Rosetta years after the release of arm macs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Completely agree.  Tethered shooting has been an issue for years.  And it always fails at the exact worst time.  Everytime it works and I have to change my camera batteries, or a lens, or the cable pops out, it's like you have to make a token sacrifice to the digital gods, toss salt over your left shoulder, do a dance of "do I start lightroom first? or the camera first?," roll for initiative, and hope Pan the goat god smiles on you favorably to make it work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines