• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Dehaze slider causes the image to turn black.

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a Black Out when I go to use Dehaze with my new Sony 7 IV camera RAW images. When I try to adjust the slider the image goes Black and can't see anything. If I bring it back to 0 zero it comes back but can Not see once I try to adjust the image. I have cloud based Adobe so I'm up to date with firmware. I use Dehaze often, so need this fixed asap please. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous reports of this issue have been resolved by disabling the GPU. Have you tried this? If no, then please do so and report back to forum.

Obviously, disabling the GPU should not be necessary. Therefore, it would be helpful if you would copy your 'System Info' to the forum. You can access same via the LrC Help > System Info menu item. Use the 'Copy' button on top left of the dialog and paste the text into your next post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done each and everything suggested here that can be done on a mac. Disabling the gpu makes Lr unusable. It freezes and crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC preferences, in the performance tab, turn off the use of GPU, see if that helps. This is a diagnostic step to see if you have A GPU issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 11.5

Platform and OS: MacOS Big Sur v11.7

Macbook Pro 2019 

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

• VRAM - 4GB
  • Metal Family: Supported GPUFamily macOS2

Basic Steps to Reproduce the problem:

• In LrC, Select a photo then Select the Develop tab, move the slider for Dehaze from 0 to +1. 
  • Observe Screen goes black
  • Move the Dehaze back to 0 and move it to -1 everything works fine

I've read through the posts and comments regarding the Dehaze and as mentioned on my basic steps in reproducing the problem the screen goes blank. The only workaround i found was turning off the graphics accelaration. This in turn has a performance impact by slowing down processing or viewing of photos.  What I don't understand is that my graphics card is compatible based on the Metal family it belongs to.  I have also powered off the computer, and also tried restarting several times.  Both Adobe LrC and MacOS Big Sur are update to the latest patches. Does anyone have any other solution besides turning off the graphics card?

If I decide to reinstall LrC will I lose all the presets and plugins I have? If so, is there a walk through of how to go about recovering them? Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, LR is very sensitive to bugs in graphics drivers' support for GPUs -- it appears to use the drivers in ways much different than the typical productivity apps, games, and video editors (and Photoshop).

Even though Mac OS 11.7 (Big Sur) was released a few weeks ago, we don't know when the graphics driver may been last updated in Mac OS 11.  So you could be tripping over a bug in a driver that's a year old (or older).

I run Mac OS 12.4 on my Macbook Pro (15", 2019) with a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB and haven't experienced any graphics bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a 2019 macbook pro with the radeon processor. 
Lightroom new 6.4 version.
After seeing several people talking about the GPU issue 
i went into the Lightroom settings and turned off the GPU
processing and this fixed the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say though this really slows down my editing time. so i may be swapping back n forth. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having this issue off and on. Randomly it would correct itself but it is now out of control on Mac Sonoma 14.0 with Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 Camera Raw 16.0. I have previously used the GPU turn off fix and it has worked but made my system very slow. I have tried several troubleshooting fixes adobe has suggested including updating graphics drivers, giving lightroom full disk access, and trying custom GPU options. It is now a glitch to the point where even if i fully turn off the GPU but export with images with dehaze they will appear normal in lightroom but export entirely black. I have uninstalled and reinstalled lightroom, and am at a point where if i dont have a fix for this I will be moving to capture one instead of lightroom as I use dehaze often. This is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my full processor info:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.0.1 [ 202310121438-d2af310c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.0.0 [23A344]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.3GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3,717.1 MB (22.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 53,521.7 MB
Memory cache size: 443.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.0 [ 1677 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 4472MB / 8191MB (54%)
Camera Raw real memory: 4935MB / 16384MB (30%)
Standard Preview Size: 3584 pixels
Displays: 1) 3584x2240

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/keirahand/Documents/2023 Clients/Intangles Portraits/Intangles Catalog/Intangles Catalog-v13.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/keirahand/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) ColorChecker Camera Calibration
4) Flickr
5) Monogram Plugin
6) Nikon Tether Plugin
7) Pixieset

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

Cant belive this is still an issue in late 2023... Ive found that quitting the program completely and then restarting it sometimes helps, other times I needed to restart my whole computer to get the dehaze working again. ADOBE PLEASE FIX!!!

I am using a canon R5 with a late 2019 MacBook Pro running OS Monterey for context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same thing as many commenters above. I've tried toubleshooting everything mentioned (restarting, uninstall/reinstall, reboot again, close LRC, reopen LRC, etc....). I've only ever experienced temporary solve to this issue, but the dehaze slider issue always shows up again.

Anyone found a permanent fix yet?? I literally can't use dehaze on any image, even if I try and export versions of images that it looks like the tool is working correctly, once I export the image, it exports incorrectly. Either without any lighroom edits on it (looks like untouched exported RAW) or is completely black. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this issue despite an extended phone call with adobe where they said they would look into it and call me back, I did a computer restart and the issue finally cleared itself before our follow up call - gave them some additional information but did not hear back after that. The issue presented again within about 2 days of 1-2hr editing sessions. Only known fix seems to be restarting the computer each time it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture One or another editing program would also be a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL, no matter what I do, and I've done all the suggestions- gpu, reboot, safeboot, uninstall. Dehaze filter is still making Lr totally useless by turning the images black. <removed> I can't operate like this. I use Capture One for one particular client and now it looks like I'm going to have to move over to it completely. I don't really want to... although Capture One color is much superior, so maybe. Or I just stop using the dehaze altogether, but thats a whoooole lot of files to zero out. I have zero patience for this. Now I'm wondering if the issue my client is having with his DNGs I sent are bc of this <removed>.

I have not contacted Adobe bc I have no faith in them anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:  I have the same problem--when I apply any level of dehaze to a jpeg or raw image in Develop mode, the images go completely black.

Lightroom Classic Version Number: 13.1
OS Version Number: 14.2.1

Hardware:  Macbook Pro 2019

Graphics Processors: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Steps to reproduce:  In Lightroom Develop mode, I select any image, and use the Dehaze slider.  As soon as I move the slider off the zero point, the image goes black.

I tried disabling the GPU in Lightroom and this temporarily alleviated the problem. 

Then I tried enabling the GPU in Lightroom and unselecting "Automatic graphic switching" in Mac OSX system settings.  The Dehaze blackout symptoms persisted.

When I restart my Macbook Pro, the problem temporarily goes away.  I don't know what steps make the problem reappear later after restarting.

Expected result:  When sliding Dehaze slider to the right, the image gradually dehazes.
Actual result: When sliding Dehaze slider to the right, the image goes completely black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slight movement in dehaze lever turns image totally dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds familiar, I think a previous discussion exists.

In the meantime, an initial inquiry/request as follows:

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut out as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs and it takes up vast amounts of scroll space making the reply less readable and less likely that others will bother with your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my System Info from LRC:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.1 [ 202312111226-41a494e8 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.2.1 [23C71]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,364.3 MB (4.1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 41,442.8 MB
Memory cache size: 16.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.1 [ 1728 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 338MB / 16383MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 340MB / 32768MB (1%)
Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 3072x1920

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Installed Plugins:
1) DxO PhotoLab
2) DxO PhotoLab Importer
3) Export to Photomatix Pro
4) Flickr
5) jb: Search + Replace
6) jf Metadata Presets
7) Topaz Photo AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had this problem two years ago and just before Christmas it returned.  This time, tuning off and on again solved it, but my impression is that the bug in question is still in some form affecting some of us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I eventually re-started my computer and the problem has not yet reappeared. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 Macbook Pro - Bridge 14.0.2.191/RAW 16.2. This is still broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same, very irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still happening to me. Super frustrating and lightroom is just not useable, going to switch to capture one as paying for software that constantly fails is just ridiculous 😭 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines