• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 969 Replies 969
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I applied m y standard preset, made a mask for the sky to darken it a bit and then used the generative remove tool to get rid of a couple of people from the image as well. It appears that the gerative remove is on top of everything else so you can see the outline of the people on top of the sky. Do I need to do the generative remove before anything else? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, ideally. Otherwise you have to Settings menu > Update AI Settings to update the masks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using it today (lightroom classic) and the primary use case I have is for fly-away hair strands.

For some reason it doesn't want to remove them, it's weird. I take the exact image into photoshop and use generative AI with no prompt and it removes them easily, but after several attempts with generative remove in lightroom it is just changing them (quantity, direction of movement, etc.) instead of removing them entirely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is a method to compare few of the same photos and apply the AI. Example like a hand on the stone but next photo, it's not there. So, the AI will compare and remove/replace with ease and better output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using generative AI in Photoshop and really like it.  Should do wonders for removing distracting elements wihout accesing PS.  One area I still would have to go to Photoshop for is filling blank areas created with the transform tool.  If I straighten buildings to a normal perspective it creates blank areas that were previously out of frame.  The constrain crop option will crop to exclude these but it would be really nice to have a generative expand option to fill these areas instead.R71_7081.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday it works great. Real the best thing for me last time. It take a few seconds and theres a new picture. Hope you understand. Today it works so long, it doesnt end. And also the in german "KI Entrauschen". I dont know what happened. New Installation of LRC nothing better.  Chance from one m2 ssd to another. Doesnt work anymore. I need a update of LRC or something....PLS HELP ME 🙂

Windows 11 64-bit, Intel 13700k, RTX 4090, 32 GB 6000 CL30 RAM 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My German is rubbish so I won't attempt to translate! Is this a new computer or what happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had absolutely no luck with power cables. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to show us examples? Was this before or after cropping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using generative remove for some in-school classroom photos at a high school.  I am trying to remove things like water bottles and random stuff on desks, etc.  Generative remove does a good job for some stuff, but it tries to sub in stuff for what I removed.  For example, I removed a McDonalds cup, and Lightroom put in a glass of freakin' orange juice.  Random.  I tried the options and it put in a smoothie or a something I didn't actually recognize.  My hope is that generative remove would not try to put in any other items - rather, it would remove the object I select and replace it with extrapolated background.  It is clearly in its infancy, and I was not able to use it for some of these photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated it and the object removal is null, it is not at all similar to the ps generative fill that removes objects without problem, the first picture is what the ia does in lr and the one below is the original, as I say not long ago.

FotografaLuis34148338oc9h_0-1716498876674.png

FotografaLuis34148338oc9h_1-1716498916409.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally an erase tool that works in Lightroom! Thank you Adobe. I usually had to go to Photoshop to use the healing brush there, which is much faster and gives good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1- I love the ease in removing objects!

2- I wish that it was in a separate panel than the mask....I understand why it would be categorized there, but as I'm trying it going between clicking it and unclicking it seems like an extra step that isn't super helpful.  I know that is kind of nit-picking and I'm sure I'll adapt, but for now I end up not unclicking which just leads to more clicking get it right and then actually do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, this updated is F'NG AMAZING!!!! So many clean-ups that I previously would have had to do by hand in Photoshop. SO GOOD!

There are times that the tool leaves a "stain" in the area.  A slightly different colored output and a hardline on it. When this happens it happens across all variations for that spot.  If I "Refresh" the stain is still there in all variations.

On this example I'm providing I even deleted the Remove Spot and did a new one, still the stain persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was working before and now I get this message 

defaultypgkzurm8e00_0-1716503545743.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, it was working and now it's down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... Probably the backend is down.  At least we know it's not our version that is on our computer.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came in here just to see if others are having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the feature, works really well for pesky lines and blemishes in an image. However, have found it struggles with the "generative" part when the image is a bit more complicated. I tried it on a picture where there was a reflection in a glass door. Behind the glass was a yellow chair, in the reflection you see a blue and white rug over it. Tried the generative feature: it did a great job of outlining the rug exactly, so it knew what I wanted to get rid of. But when I hit apply, it said "something went wrong". I tried numerous times, I'm assuming it just didn't know what to do or how to fill in the space left by the rug, even though the chair outline and color was pretty clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estou amando este novo recurso, obrigado pela melhoria no LR 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sergeyz35120140_0-1716504111026.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an awsome tool, a lot better than the standard.

Unfortunately, it is currently down.

Waiting patiently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, it's a lot better than I expected.  Just need to fine tune and stablised it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm Generative AI keeps failing when I try to use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines