• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1329 Replies 1329
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I started using it and I am not satisfied with the result.
Why, after removing the character from the left photo, was there a ghost visible in the right photo?
How to do it so that there is no trace of the deleted object?

Lightroom Classic version: 13.3 [ 202405092057-40441e28 ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it without Object Aware? If not, try it and report the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See for yourself, photo attached.(without Object Aware)ghost3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, synchronization does not work for objects i deleted with gen. ki. What did i do wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a bug as no one seem to have this issue. Tried reinstalling lightroom but it didn't fix the issue. Does anyone encountered this issue? Thanks.

generative failed.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative remove needs an internet connection. If a connection existed when you initiated the remove, but got lost during the process, then you'll get this error.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now get this message every time. Nothing wrong with my Internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what if our internet connection is fine and we're still getting that error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it s a cloud problem from adobe, nothing to do with your connection

Saad Alami www.saadalami.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution and made a video of it, I hope I helped anyone else having the same issue! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsF6oTD5Q4

Please leave a like and share with others if I could help you with this problem! If you still have issues let me know in the comments. #adobe #adobelightroom #generativeai #lightroomediting #lightroomclassic #error #fix #solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the removal of complex power lines to work better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I previously posted this issue under discussions but somehow it was taken down. I tried to use the new 'Generative AI' remove tool in ver 13.3 but keep getting an error message. Tried reinstalling but no help. Please kindly assist.

generative failed.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I restarted LR and my laptop - it did not help. I have a steady Internet connection.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.  Worked fine at for the first few days, but now I get this message everytime I try to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! Just started getting this error about an hour ago... It was working fine for me earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.  First I was continually getting an error that said Generative AI needs to [refresh or something similar].  I'd click OK and it would do something.  Then I started getting the errors mentioned here every time I used it.  I had removed distractions from about 10 images when I got another error saying it wasn't working and to try later.  I looked at the 10 images I had finished, and all of the things I had removed were back in the images!  

I went away for 3 hours and when I came back, everything was working.  Those 10 images, though, still had the removed things back in the images.  I turned on Show Overlay, and the selections (where I had brushed) were still there with the pins in them.  I had to go to each image, select each pin and re-run Gen AI Remove to remove the distractions again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fantastic feature! I tried it with reasonable success on a number of my photos.

But then I experimented with removing my young daughter from a photo—but instead of filling in the background appropriately, as before, it turned her into a puppy!!! There was previously no dog in the picture at all!

Any thoughts on what might have caused this, or how to avoid it? (It was a very attractive puppy, though!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StevePillinger  You likely missed getting her cast shadow. If you leave a cast shadow behind, the AI will try to fill in with something to cast it....

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I see now that that was the problem. Part of her shadow extended below the low fence in the picture, and I didn't include that. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,
Unfortunately, the refine details function from Photoshop is missing in the Lightroom generative Remove Tool. The function is currently unusable for me with high-resolution images because you can clearly see a lot of pixels.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sry, forget my screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new classic 13.3 generating feature remove the ability to select the source of cloning or healing when used. I can drag the original source but not the select source to clone or heal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very frustrating to not be able to drag the source to a new/better position, since you cannot see the selected source, only the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Necesita pulirse. Hecho de menos que la seleccion funcionara como una mascara a la que le puedes ajustar la luz y la difusion del borde ya que en las bajas luces no se mezcla con el fondo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines