• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1329 Replies 1329
Engaged ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to tag on here, but I can't figure out how to start a thread myself =( 

The addition of the generative remove feature has messed up multiple functions of the plain old spot heal. I am pleased that it now almost always chooses the correct pixels to fix the spot, but when it chooses the wrong pixels, it is almost impossible to get it to allow me to move the brush to the correct pixels. It is also nearly impossible to see what the patch looks like, if I have "selected" enabled. Thanks for the work you are doing 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.M.G. that is amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genial! Danke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed a coffee cup with a black and white cloth backgound and the replacement was good except for a blue color cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the addition of generative remove to lightroom classic! Would love if I could enter a command, like photoshop's functionality for more finessing like removing flyways

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using it for screen output the resolution is terrible. Removing things from a 100 megapixel file doesn't give good results. Example photo from a 100% crop.resolution example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Lightroom Classic to 13.3 version and treid te generative remove tool. The AI removal tool works as a generative fill on my dell laptop. It inserts similar objects in my mask instead of removing them. If I go through the 3 variations I get three different but of a kind objects. Still a bug or did I miss some sort of setting inside the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to select/mask the entire item to be removed. This includes any shadows, refelections or projections. If you checked both Generative AI and Object Aware boxes, then also try with only Generative AI checked.

Can you post a screenshot of the image before and after using Generative Remove? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vorher.jpgMaske.jpgVariation 1.jpgVariation 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the original image cropped before you applied Generative Remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this picture there is no crops. Tried several different pictures and to remove different items: in 40% the item is removed and in all the other cases the item is replaced in generative fill matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, absolutely love this feature, I remember asking for it so its great to see it in use!! 
I wanna request a grain feature inside the generative AI remove tool so that you can match the grain of the original image to the generated area. This was part of the workflow I would use in photoshop to avoid the area looking too clean with the generative AI.
Looking forward to it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how to get an early access at is disabled for me?

Milos30060843i4fa_0-1716545774064.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it. thank you for this amazing addition that saved me the steps of (edit in photoshop), using Generative fill there and saving the TIFF back to Lightroom.

If I had one comment it would be this: once I've done the selection and clicked apply, I would love it if the selection area lines disappear so I get a clearer view of which variation is working best without having to toggle the remove tool on and off.

Cheers and looking forward to the official release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can configure the 'Tool Overlay' for Auto, Always, Selected or Never. Choose the option that best suits what you require.

tool overlay.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just used on a few pictures taken early in the week and the effects are brilliant. Its simple and intuitive to use. The multiple variations are great, although the first presented seems best more often than not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic tool unleashing incredible potential! Absolutely astounding workflow fix to be able to do this without shipping images out to Photoshop!

HOWEVER there exists an significant issue for those that use Smart Previews during an edit (with the source media disconnected), the AI generated 'remove' area is rendered in a low resolution that matches the smart preview file, which is understandable. These low resolution areas remain so, and become very noticable, when the full resolution media is later reconnected and the rest of the image reverts to higher resolution (in both develop or export). There *needs* to be a *bulk image* AI recalcualte/regenerate/refresh option (just how masks does when you select multiple images and click 'Update AI Settings' or Option+cmd+u). Perhaps just add this to the pipeline of Update AI Settings, so it can easily be recreated at higher resolution on batch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF?

img-2024-05-24-15-11-29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but it didn't do squat. It just erased a black part on a shoulder instead of removing the shoulder of another person that's in the corner of the shot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works good for alot of things however just trying to remove a recycle bin and all it removes is the writing on the bin, tried twice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to select/mask the entire item to be removed. This includes any shadows, refelections or projections. If you checked both Generative AI and Object Aware boxes, then also try with only Generative AI checked.

Can you post a screenshot of the image before and after using Generative Remove? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Améliore et facilite le travail parfois. Un renfort notable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed a pole with a sign in a rather difficult landscape and it worked perfect. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funciona muy bien, igual de bien que en photoshop. Es una cosa que veia necesaria en lightroom desde que empecé a usarla en photoshop. La única pega es que tarda muchisimo mas tiempo en procesarlo que en photoshop. Estaría bien que pudiese procesarlo en segundo plano mientras se hacen otras cosas en otras fotografias. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funktioniert nicht!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines