• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1159 Replies 1159
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@besler how would you envisage it working regarding the crop? Should it temporarily clear the crop when you open the Remove tool? Or only partially remove an object that's partially cropped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really I’d be fine with Ruth’s if those options. I understand why it doesn’t work this way, but it is kinda confusing as it currently stands. I guess if I had to vote, I’d say, temporarily clear the crop and then automatically reapply it once the tool is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either of **

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

haven't got chance to test the solution much, but the same as for Photoshop Generative Fill, I see the colors issue - please find the sample in the attachment. Original image size is 4000x6000, ARW, shot on Sony A7III, processed on MBP M1 16GB.

In Photoshop I have tried all the solutions proposed in the topic, no luck though. Hope this gets fixed in both apps ASAP, as the AI functionalities are barely usable otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bartosz5EEF, had you previously applied masking to the area where you then applied Remove? That would cause such mismatches. Do the menu command Settings > Update AI Settings.

If that doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depuis l'installation "accès anticipé"la fonction ne fonctionne plus et donne un message d'erreur..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jean-claudeg83383526: Google translation: "Since the "early access" installation, the function no longer works and gives an error message: Generative Deletion Failed. Check your Internet connection and try again."

Sometimes firewalls and anti-malware / anti-virus utilities incorrectly block some network requests from LR. Try these troubleshooting steps:

- Temporarily disable all the firewall / anti-malware on your computer. If that solves the problem, then add a specific exclusion for LR to firewall's rules.

- Connect to another network, preferably one serviced by a different ISP. E.g. a Wifi connection of a neighbor, a coffee shop, work, or your phone's hotspot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Team!

I am a fan of implementing these new tools into the LR toolbox.  My initial feedback, is that this tool works best with outlier objects that are fairly isolated, and do not overlap with anything you intend to keep in the photograph.  Otherwise, it seems to get quite confused about the task.  Also, if it doesn't work at first go, trying to add to it seems to confuse the tool.  

My primary initial report is that, if Generative AI is that last tool used before exiting the Remove/Heal/Clone toolbar, the first tool that opens when going back to that toolbar (Q), has often been defaulting to the masking portion for Generative AI, which forces you to approve a mask, and then goes throught the AI analyzing, before you are able to unselect that tool in order to use the basic Remove tool, or any other of the two tools.  This is a time-suck, because you can't bypass it to select a different tool until you've gone through those two steps.  Maybe I'm missing a way to exit without going through those motions?

More concerning to me though, is that since the update with the addition of Generative AI, and the Lens Blur tool--Lightroom Classic is running MUCH slower than it did before.  Transitioning between photos on the Develop filmstrip is often lagging, sometimes for more than 30 seconds before registering the next photo.  And using almost all the tools, from crop to coloring, is often lagging as well, allowing adjustments but not reflecting them in the photo in real time like it did prior to this latest update.  And my computer is not old, or slow...it's top end editing software.

This being the case, I think unless this can be fixed, I would sacrifice those two new tools for the better workflow that Lightroom had before they were added.  Especially since we are able to use Photoshop for those fine-tuned kind of edits, which only select photos need in the first place.  BUT, I'm all for Lightroom trying to improve, so if these things can be fine tuned, I'm in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Transitioning between photos on the Develop filmstrip is often lagging, sometimes for more than 30 seconds before registering the next photo.

@Westward Leather 

It should not take that long, and is very likely related to the new Develop module caching behaviour introduced in LrC 13.3. I recommend that you start a new thread describing your expereince when transistioning between photos. You should also include a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be obtained from the LrC Help > System Info menu item. You can copy the info using the Copy button from within the dialog. Paste same into your post in new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be easier to "see" the 3 variation AI changes if the icon was not superimposed on the image.  Is there any way to turn the visual of the icon on/off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to hide the pin using the H key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using Gen AI Remove on an image containing an annoying No Trespassing sign.  The process ran, and instead of deleting the sign, Gen AI created a transparent "ghost" replacement.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rgrenader 

The ghost replacement is likely because you'd previously applied an AI mask to the image (check for red dot below the Masks icon on toolbar). You can remove the ghost using the 'Update AI Settings' in Develop module Settings menu or within the mask panel itself as shown in attached screenshot.

red dot mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  I redid the removal process, using Gen AI, and this is the ghost image.Screenshot 2024-06-12 110731.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem removing the sign in your screenshot. Check the opacity setting is set to 100

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that did it.  The default, which I had not adjusted in 95%, which explains the ghost images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that issue is resolved. Hopefully, others will benefit for your post, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is something really cool.  Depending on the final look for an image, let's say you wanted to delete a person in the scene, but not completely.  By adjusting Opacity, you could make it look like there was a Ghost in your image..  Very cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't remove simple spots I used to remove. Not in AI and not in the old way. Very strange behaviour. 
It use to be simple and now I'm stuck. 
WIN10 Classic 13.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ran23946982ed6t: "I just can't remove simple spots I used to remove. Not in AI and not in the old way. "

Check that the Opacity slider is set to 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The heal and clone tools work for me pretty much as they used to. And the
"visualize spots" is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ne fonctionne plus depuis votre "amélioration"...réinstallé 2 fois lightrom pour rien.L'aide sur le site inneficace.Message d'erreur qui n'a pas de sens,je suis évidement branché,puisque je vous écrit..

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 21-45-47 Adobe Account.png

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 21-46-55 Adobe Account.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the solution for now: https://youtu.be/JDsF6oTD5Q4?si=M1-bBoPMI6B-QLzB

Please leave a like and share with others if I could help you with this problem! If you still have issues let me know in the comments. #adobe #adobelightroom #generativeai #lightroomediting #lightroomclassic #error #fix #solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting that. So others can figure out quickly whether that video applies to them, it shows how to adjust the rules of the Windows Defender Firewall to stop blocking LR's networking requests. This won't help those whose LR is getting blocked by third-party security packages (anti-malware / anti-virus) or network routers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines