• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens blur - would it be good to add an exposure slider?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ability to blur individual/specific areas or pixels of the photo would be helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Point/Area Focus sampler to click or marquee select area you want to keep in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used it much but when I do it has worked very well except it would be great if a mask you have already worked on in post processing could be copied into the LENS BLUR as tryuing to replicate a tricky mask is much more difficult in LENS BLUR than in the main masking function. 

I find I frequently want to use the same masks, but they don't seem to be available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ottima scelta velocizza il lavoro in fase di sfocatura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonjour, 

acces impossible pour essayer le flou, ca marque erreur a chaque fois, donc pas pu tester, bien dommage cela semble bien

fminairebasket@yahoo.fr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pc get unusable when i try it. I3 11100f, RX580 8gb, ssd, 16gb ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info... 

Please follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following workaround method as a last resort. The method provides a mechanism to allow LrDesktop/LrClassic/ACR customers to force the ML inference to always run on CPU instead of default. See details here https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html#lens-blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could not locate subject on my image, clear seperartion of subject to background so will not edit !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can play with the brush based Refine tool. Check out Julieanne's tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the first couple of uses, I think this tool needs the ability to ADD and SUBTRACT like the masking tool has... with a brush at a minimum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the Refine collapsible widge to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice addition. What I would like to see is the ability to add items to the foreground. I am doing sports photos and the ball isn't always picked up as part of the subject. In masking, it can be added. That feature would be nice in this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an awesome feature off the bat, really enjoy it thus far. The focal range is good, not perfect but very good and adjusting the visual depth/ refine mapping seems to be working quite well. Definately saves you from dropping $8000 on a NOCT lens. As you grow the software, it would be sweet to see specific lens effects added, like the 58mm NOCT or the Leica Noctilux 50mm. Great job thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give me a way to add or subtract from the mask in the lens blur module. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is there - the Focus and Blur Buttonslens blur.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks great from initial usage. The biggest thing I am having an issue with is that the blur is only happening behind the subject and no the whole photo. So, behind the subject is blury and looks beautiful but on the other side of the photo the blur has not been touched. Looks unnatural.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can choose to blur the foreground too by tweaking the left end of the focus range slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Windows 11 on PC,  I do a pic or two and then my machine runs slow after that, I have to reboot to get it back to speed again.  I like the program but not the slowing of  my PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I don't usually manipulate my images very much, lens blur was fun to play with. I did find that on a complex subject, it requires a fair bit of refining, i.e. blurring sharp edges, etc. I added moderate blurring to the background and refined the edges, particularly around the subjects head and neck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom team's introduction of AI-powered Lens Blur is an exciting addition to their suite of products, including Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem. This innovative feature allows users to apply optical blur to any image, regardless of how it was captured. Lens Blur works by utilizing AI-generated or device-captured depth data to achieve a depth-based blur effect, simulating the characteristics of real-world optical lenses. It's not only capable of automatically prioritizing focus on the subject but also offers interactive focus distance adjustments and precise focus range tuning (currently available on desktop versions: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw). Users can further customize Bokeh shapes, apply highlight boosts (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

The great news is that Lens Blur adjustments made on one surface will seamlessly sync to other surfaces, including mobile, web, and desktop, ensuring a consistent editing experience. And although presets and copy + paste workflows aren't currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access, this feature's potential for creative image manipulation is promising.

For more details on Lens Blur, visit the official resources provided by the Lightroom team and don't forget to give it a try and share your feedback to contribute to the ongoing improvements.

Lisa Ngo, Lightroom Product Manager, encourages users to explore this feature and also highlights popular Lens Blur feature requests like the addition of a noise option and custom Bokeh. If these features pique your interest, be sure to give them a vote.

And as for video editing needs, consider CapCut as your best video editing app, offering a wide range of features for creating and editing videos with ease. With its intuitive interface and versatile capabilities, CapCut is a valuable tool for all your video editing requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes agree, with an indication in film strip.  Otherwise, initial tryout it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines