• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree...a brush tool to add/subtract blur from certain areas that have been automatically blurred incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! - like text I add  in Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agreed too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to use the lens blur on the background where I had 3 birds and even though the 3rd bird was in focus the AI was considering it as background. Is there going to be a way that you can adjust that? I agree with your question!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out

2024-04-14_11-39-07.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks for this great feature. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to future enhancements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overall I like it. However, where there was a break in the slats of wood in a chair the background was not blurred. I did like the option to go and add blur to those areas. g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very useful tool. I hope it will become part of the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

très utile i

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I aggree it look very good and would help to have an indicator in the film strip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is a great idea.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here to add my interest in having this feature integrated with masking.  I'd love to be able to modify the blurred areas spot or entire selections at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it but it definitely doesn't do it as cleanly as it could. I've been trying with smaller brushes and it seems to be able to blur where I need it. Go to the bottom left and see the "blur" button and then pick your brush size 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this feature! Quick and easy tool to get a good looking image!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exciting news! The new AI-powered Lens Blur feature is now available across all platforms, offering users enhanced depth-of-field effects for their photos. Can't wait to try it out and elevate my photography game!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a very saavy PS user and generally use PS intuitively with little understanding of PS overall functioning.  However, I tried the new lens blur tool on a panorama star image selfie (3 single images assembled in LR as pano imported into PS).  The image needed better focus clarity in the foreground and midground areas.  I was able to intuitiely use this tool to bring the image into better focus in the foreground and two areas of the midground.  I then also tried using it to sharpen the stars of the image.  This tool worked in all three foreground/midground to bring the image into sharper focus.  I then tried it on the stars and it both clarified the sky and sharpened the stars a bit and denoised the background sky noise.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After invoking the feature, I needed to add to the focus area with a brush using the visualize focus depth feature.  I don't seem to be able to bring the color back to the desired color, yellow.  I will only get to a light purplish or reddish (indicating less sharp).  My computer (13th gen I9 with 64gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) slows significantly when brushing in additions or deletions.

Other than the lagging, I love the feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree looks great!!!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the "o" key to toggle on/off the depth mask.

Thanks,

Oli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! I found I had to constantly toggle on and off the depth map visualization as I refined them. This is a good suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am finding is that if I make any adjustments to the depth, the screen goes black then refreshes. Is anyone else experiencing that?  (Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here though I don't have a discrete graphics card. I'd like to know the min. OPS a card should have so the screen doesn't go black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing was happening to me, although sometimes it wouldn't come back from going black. Since I've installed the new version of Lightroom Classic (13.0.1) my screen also goes black if I use the Dehaze slider. Based on other online comments I've disabled the GPU (in my case AMD Radeon Pro 5500M) for everything except Display and it seems to solve the problem. Though LRC is quite slow now. I'm running it on a late 2019 MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM on macOS Sonoma 14.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines