• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Lightroom Ecosystem Discussions. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beim Export eines Fotos im HEIC Format nach JPG, bei dem Objekte mit dem Radiergummi entfernt worden und die neue Funktion Objektivunschärfe verwendet wurde, bilden die entfernten Objekte schwarze Schatten. Bei Entfernung der Objekte mit dem Pflaster tritt dieses Problem nicht auf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you zip up the HEIC file with the settings and share? A screen capture would be helpful. Did you turn on the HDR edit mode? Did you apply the lens blur after the object is erased or before? If you apply the lens blur before the object is erased, you might want to experiment to toggle the lens blur "Apply" off and on gain so that the lens blur is aware that you erased the object and will force the depth map to be estimated again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur is fantastic....love it what a wonderful feature to add...hooray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loving this feature, however I think it definitely needs more ability to refine the blur to the smallest pixels.  Being able to select pixels more precisely would be great.  However loving playing around with.  This will be a feature I will use A LOT!  Would also like to see on filmstrip which photos Lens Blur was applied to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loving this feature.  It is something I will be using A LOT!  I would however like a way to select specific pixels to blur more than just the circle selctor.  Would like to option to have the ability to be more refined.  Would also like to see which photos Len Blur is applied to on filmstrip for quick referencing.  Over all really fun playing with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 requests.... My workflow includes creating a DNG or TIFF copy of the RAW original. I then auto-sync my edits made to both. Sometimes there are multiple files in a sequence that are included in the syncronized edit. Request #1 is to allow auto sync for lens blur.  The next request #2 is to allow the use of the masking tool to add, subtract or intersect with the lens blur effect... basically add it to the masking tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLYYYYYY! I try and attempt these fixes using the lens correction blur and (obviously) can never quite achieve what I'm hoping for. I use the lightroom classic and cant wait for this to go into full user mode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neat but--

I had some horizontal bars across the photo that were in the foreground, but the program thought they were in the background, and blurred them.

I tried to use the Refine tools, but couldn't invest the time. The Refine tools should work exactly like the Object tools, with brush and selector, and I should be able to see where the refinements are, with an icon, and delete them, instead of undoing my way out. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I tried to add lens blur to a picture of a child on a rope played ground, sections of the rope that were still in focus disappeared . . . or became very blurry when the rope immediately adjacent remained in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try use the Refine tool. Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make this sync like the other masks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens blur works well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow us to generate the depth maps beforehand for a batch of images as a background task, doing it one by one and waiting for it to generate per image is extremely time consuming.

-----------------------------
I have a 5900X, an RTX 3090 and 128GB of RAM. Yet Lightroom chokes on a fricking 24MP photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chester the Lr Bug Karen, "Please allow us to generate the depth maps beforehand for a batch of images as a background task, doing it one by one and waiting for it to generate per image is extremely time consuming."

I'm sure that support for Copy/Sync/Auto Sync of Lens Blur will be added in future releases. While waiting, you can use the Copy Settings plugin to enable or disable lens blur on multiple selected photos at once and do something else while Update AI Settings is running. (Lens Blur, like Denoise, is very compute-intensive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying the blur tool on somewhat less simple subjects and cannot get an accurate break on certain areas of the subject. The current early release model seems to be set up sort of like luminance with the slider for depth. If the blur were in the presence section of basic as a slider (like texture and clarity) and the blur was applied to the masked background, then it would be perfect. You could even break the background in to background 1 and background 2, etc. I can achieve close to the same effect using the t and c sliders and do so on practically all of my images to verying degrees. Not knowing the behind the scenes manner these effects are coded, I have no idea of course if this suggested alternative approach is realistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The + button to add new refinement regions for the depth map sometimes disappears after clicking, and there's no way to get it back....

-----------------------------
I have a 5900X, an RTX 3090 and 128GB of RAM. Yet Lightroom chokes on a fricking 24MP photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gives portret mode on ipone. im not a fan..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know if it would be possible to tweak the blur using a brush like you can with a mask but that would be handy to me, a few times the ai has recognised part of the subjec as background and vice versa. if i could take away or add that would be amazing. Overall though im loving this feature!!! well done Adobe 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my earl;ier reply, I had not discovered the "refine" section, so it appears you have already addressed my problem. I will work with the refine section to see if I can narrow my focus / blur boundries. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!! How did I miss that?? Thank you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we enable the Lens Blur function, a Depth map is created. Why, in this case, can’t you use this depth map in the Mask -> Range -> Depth Range section?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GraphiCoreOne, "If we enable the Lens Blur function, a Depth map is created. Why, in this case, can’t you use this depth map in the Mask -> Range -> Depth Range section?"

Lens Blur does use a camera-produced depth map, according to the Adobe Help. But see the discussion here. 

Oops, I misunderstood your question, which is a good one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur. A very helpful tool, I am very satisfied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking the lens blur alot. Just have one suggestion. The initial mask calculation for the focus mask should be more generous. Since the task is to sharpen. I am finding some objects that are missing brighter sections that are contained within surrounding darker parts of the masked object. Its fixable with the adjustment, but since that task is to sharpen seems it would do no harm to strenthen the calculation to include more than less. I can see that this might not work on a busy photo with lots of overlapping focus/blur sections. But for isolated objects like flying birds in a blue sky, It would work better. first image is after I tweeked the mask of each bird and the second is as it was originally calculated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines