• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it. Super

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lens Blur panels looks like it's going to be really useful and save round trpping into Photoshop to achieve the same effect. I'd really like to see a way of visualizing where I've been brushing with the Focus and Blur brushes when refining the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the feature very good, although it should be used with caution. I would find it helpful if you could manually select the point yourself first. Because the AI usually recognizes it incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tiny person icon lets you select a person as the focal point. Beside that is a rectangle. Click that to drag around the area you want in focus. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasnt quite masked the subject so altough the first try was interestting, there is patches around the models head of sharp foilage where the mask hasnt selected the hairline correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sliders under the Refine tool are there to help that (click the triangle). I agree that it's not always 100% accurate, but at least there are tools to help. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not bad. But it doesn't work really good with some animals in foreground, like a dog is walking to you. The edge of his tail looks very unrealistic.

But keep going on, looks mostly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having tried on a couple of photos very inpresive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent addition to LR.  The implementation is perfect and the ability to visualize the changes live is fantastic.  My only issue at the moment is that it struggles to work with the pressure sensitivity of my Xence Eos pen/tablet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get the analysing to work to completion. It freezes. I have to shut down computer and start all over again with GPU enables in preferences and it gives an error message. I have 2  GB on secondary GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report your system info Lightroom>Help>System Info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks fantastic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual quality of the bokeh is nice, but the masking around hair is really horrible and blocky, meaning I would not use this for people shots in its current form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An adjustment brush for retouching would be useful. as I have photos where parts have not been softened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feathering subject need some more improvement

Found some strange artifects on the edges of the subject ( a deer in this case) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The focus mask is not available as a selection mask.  The "select focus range" is grayed out in the masks panel.

The depth mask works well but it would be good to be able to use it with the masks tab.

Refering to the RAW update, splitting up each section 'light' 'effects' etc creates extra clicks and is time consuming having to open up every tab.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works well but slows down the PC. The screen went black intermittently (Windows 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is actually really useful 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works, but not when the subject is hairy. Similar to other comments, lose fine details and flyaway hairs which makes it a nice gimmick but not great for actual use. I usually photography dogs, so can't see me using it much unless I can refine it more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did alots of adventure shoot up the mountains, its ok cos of the long grass doesnt work well with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love a grain slider for the blurred areas only. Sometimes I don't want to add extra grain to my image, I just want to match the existing grain in the blurred areas. Since you already have a grain slider that works great even with lens blurred pictures, adding this extra would be a welcome change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it for the first time.  It is impressive.  I will conitunue to use it and gain expertise.  Great addition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be working ok on the few images i have tried but would like easier way of refining the edges as the blur removes fine hair and detail from around edges and leaves a un-natural looking effect so I have been having to refine the edges using the focus brush which is not very precise but a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines