• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This is the feature I've been waiting for too long without knowing it. Leica Bokeh has ever since been the "go to" for great portraiture effects. With Lens blur I can have the feeling of a great bokeh lens in the afterblur. Wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if there were a brush tool to add or subtract from the affected areas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helle je trouve tout ces outils excellent ! bravo pour ces évolutions ça permet encore mieux de travailler sur l'art le l'image... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using it on a set of portraits someone shot against a wrinkled backdrop and finding it really struggles masking frizzy hair leaving visible borders, or the frizz disappears into a weird cloud of brunette, etc.  The backdrop is out of focus, but not enough to hide the wrinkles, which look busy and combine with the business of the hair to overwhelm the AI, apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the tool I've been dreaming of for years. I've been manually layering and blurring for a while.

My one feedback is that for some reason when you are refining the focus/blur mode, the normal shortcuts for zooming and panning have been switched to adjusting brush size and feathering amount. I  would much rather have normal access to my canvas navigation shortcuts than shortcutting to the adjustments panel when I am refining focus and blur.  It gets difficult and frustrating to move around to different portions of the image because of this.  Other than that, a completely amazing tool! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When editing wildlife photos, the edge fur (on foxes, bears etc.) on my animals takes on a hard (not well-blended) edge that is not appealing or natural. I can't really adjust the various sliders to eliminate it, which makes it largely unusable for my furry friends images.  OIn the other hand, It has worked quite nicely on some of my portrait work, and with subjects that don't have a soft furry edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it can take many seconds for the initial lens blur or any changes to take effect, it would be handy for there to be an indicator that lens blur processing is in progress. It could be a solid or flashing indicator. This would probably be useful for any other processing by LR that often takes more than a second or two, even on a powerful PC/Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the new Lens Blur feature couple of times and it works great. The main reason is that I got lens with F stop such as 1.8 / 2.8, with general settings of camera in Manual. I do recognize that is a worth upgrade to use eventually in old photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a quick play, it looks to work well enough. But it can produce some severe edge artifacts on high contrast edges.

GeoffBartlett_1-1699437052010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Profondità di campo in post produzione , altra magica possibilità prima dello scatto in camera, Notevole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today when ever I utilize the Lens Blur feature in Lightroom classic, the program freezes up and I have to use task manager to close it. This problem just started occurring over the last couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the pinned reply at the top to see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am absolutly LOVING this.  Just noticed it this morning and it has already made my editing easier.  THANK YOU  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the blur tool a few times and each time it's worked very well.  I was satisfied with the results and will report any future experients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this option. Unfortunately, the subject detection isn't always accurate and there is no way to fine tune this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is, use the add or subtract brush

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am enjoying the new lens blur feature, but the lens blur effect completely remove all noise from the blurred areas to the point where you can tell the subject still has some noise (inevitable in many situations, even after denoise is used) and the background has absolutely zero noise.  I think we need to be able to add a small amount of noise back into the blurred areas to make it really look real and believable and like it is all legitimately one photograph and not several different photos pasted together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would be helpful to have a way to erase the effect focally with a brush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you fully learn the Depth of the lens blur tool, this is amazing!!  One can easily add more depth to a scene or just create a general blur just on the edges for photos that do not have very much depth.  For landscape photos this really brings out the folcal depth on flatter images and to even bring out more on photos with good depth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subject focus was automatic and great, the Point/focus wasn't as precise as I wanted. Nice in the Refine section to be able to "unblur" certain parts or faces if I wanted to. The bokeh features are nice. Visualize depth and Focal range map are super helpful. Very cool feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this feature. I have been trying to these kinds of affects with clarity and focus functions, but this feature is intuitive to use and highly affective thus far. I've only tried on a few images, but so far I'm totally excited about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to add other effects, while using the same filter ?

For example : modify selectively the constrast / exposure / low and highlights... on the blurred background versus foreground.

Thx, GC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love it, exactly what I've been looking for. Only spent a few minutes with it so far but I'm liking what I see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines