• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty impressive considering the shot I used it with was mostly background, with only my dogs in the foreground.

The results look great to the untrained eye. I think a pro would say it was overdone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new lens blur feature in Lightroom Classic is great! I have a suggestion. Most of the time in the area of blurring, we also want to darken that are somewhat to have less eye attention to the blur/darkened area. Would be really nice if a tool was added where we could add some level of darkening to the blur area. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, The Lens Blur feature certainly sounds interesting. I would really like to test it with a few photos, as long as there are no further charges!

Barry Patman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like the lens blur option. It works quite well. However, it does seem to have GPU processing issues on my PC. I've got i7, 64 GB RAM and 8 core processing 2.90GHZ per core, an NVIDA GEOFORCE GTX 1660 Ti and still have a bit of a lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desde la última actualización la IA no hace su trabajo como lo venía haciendo creando la máscara seleccionando a las personas

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-04 a las 12.39.52.png

 

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-04 a las 12.40.59.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, 

mon PC a un peu de mal mais le resultat est plutot satisfaisant si on reste raisonnable.. !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has probably been suggested a million times, but let us apply this setting as part of a batch operation. Especially on import. It would save a lot of time if I could get the pc to do it overnight or while I'm away from the machine, and just come in, disable or adjust as I see fit.

Right now, it takes ~30sec per image and I have to sit idle the entire time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default lens blur is too strong and looks artificial. Contrast in blurred areas also a bit too low. Moderately fine details such as insect antennae in macro shots get blurred even at minimum lens blur settings. Works quite well on edges of animal fur. Needs to be trained on more extensive and diverse set of images. Needs ability to toggle the lens blur overlay via "O" to see the extent of the mask visually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Le flou de l’objectif par défaut, est surement un excellent outil, toujours dans la modération, pour les petits insectes cela fonctionne moyennement, je dirai complique !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui je suis d'accord. Si le flou de l'objectif est faible, cela fonctionne bien et aide à éliminer le bruit et les bandes de couleur dans les zones floues de l'arrière-plan. S'il est utilisé avec les paramètres par défaut, l'effet est très artificiel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature looks nice but it could probably benfit from a debth brush to change parts of the photo that are wrogly detected.
For example: I have a photo of two men and one is closer to the camera but the AI detected them in the same depth area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to discover the Refine tool in the UI section? 

Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need some kind of marker or something to pin what should be sharp, or the middle of the sharpest area. It would make the tool easier to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this new feature..it's a bit glitchy but the update did improve that a lot.  WHEN will this be available for presets and copy/paste options??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very impressed with the lens blur feature.  Would be nice to see something indicative on the film strip that the feature was used but not a necessity for me and what I use the program for.  Much easier than trying to use the masking feature if the aparature wasn't set right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it's not too bad for a little more help in faking the f stop. Thanks for letting us try it out. 

Canon R5

f4.6

100-500mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool effect that looks practical for the most part. Would be great to add a brush masking capability so I can subtract an area that has been blurred as if it's in the background, but is actually part of the foreground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, that would be very useful. Needs to have ability to make mask visible via "O" key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the Refine tool that you are looking for. 

Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I played with this with some sceptisism. Pleasantly surprised though. It's worked brilliantly even on some images I took in heavy fog. It's managed to successfully differentiate between foggy in focus and out of focus back ground. It's brilliant. Echoing others though, I would love a little indicator that says which images have this applied and which don't as some images can't have heavy adjustment for competitions etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works, and pretty good, indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the pinned relpy at the top to get your GPU driver updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to get it to focus on a specific point; I shot a bird in a berry bush and the AI chose the berries instead of the bird as the point of sharp focus.... even selecting the birds eye did not make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines