• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olá, gostaria de trazer aqui uma opinião em relação ao desfoque por IA.

Quando aplico o desfoque, por um acaso ele deixa as bordas  brancas no cabelo ou nas arestas de algum objeto.

No momento não há opção que melhore isso no momento.

Poderiam analisar e criar uma ferramenta que modifique esse erro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice to be able to modify the mask using a negative or positive brush. Also would be nice to be able to shrink/grow/feather the lens blur mask (and to be able to do the same with masks created with subject/sky/background detection).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning the subtleties of Lens Blur, however having issues with the percieved depth map after painting in blur into what should have been the background, but the depth map thinks its close up foreground...  Not sure how important that is to the engine but the results looked wierd when I increased the blur amount.  It would be nice to have an erase to go over areas painted in (either blur or focus) to correct mistakes - perhaps that is what Reset would do, but afraid it will reset everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this feature, great job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I often get with birds.  This is with the default settings.  Sure, I can work my way out of it but it's a pain.  Perhaps it needs a bit more machine learning about birds.
Otherwise, great job with blur feature!

Screenshot 2023-12-06 145722.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd like to be able to sync blur. I know it will take a bit. taht is fine. I will go sip some coffee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I turned a photo 180 degrees, then applied the lens blur, then denoised the photo with ai, which creates a copy of the raw as dng file.
Now the lens blur will be applied like I've never turned the photo 180 degrees, what can i do to make camera raw realize i turned my image, so that the lens blur filter is not applied upside down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two possible methods:

1. You could re-compute all your AI settings via the "Update AI Settings" command. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/prior-ai-mask-edits-all-need-updating/t...

2. If you don't want to update all AI settings, you could try reset the lens blur settings (Option/Alt + Reset Lens Blur Settings) and re-apply the lens blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started trying it out this morning, as I had to buy a new computer to run the latest version of Lightroom.  It's going to be worth it for this tool.  It always bugged me that there isn't a blur slider in the masking tool.  Something just occurred to me, can we output the depth map as a separate grey scale file?  Or maybe this is something we can do in photoshop?  Seems to work reasonably well on an i5 13600k with no dedicated graphics card.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Não vi como replicar essa função por meio da sincronização. Há como fazer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saved my life for finals. for the subjects i have it was a perfect use. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eu simplismente AMEI!!!! deu um BOOM nas minhas fotos, nao tenho lente 1.4 etc ainda, e com essa opcao podemos transformar o fundo como se tivessemos usando uma lente super boa e etc. Amei nao tirem nunca !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to try this, but I get the message "lens blur is only available in process version 3". What does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing if we could also export the depth map that the AI is generating. There are a lot of other interesting things we could do with the same depth map. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to copy and paste the lens blur effect? Thank you for this cool addition to LR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the little I used, you can clearly see the focus before and after, it's on a good path, I put it in portraits and it did a good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature, but it needs to be hooked up to masking, so that I can better control where the lensblur is applied and where not. There are sections in an image where I don't want the blur to be applied, need to be able to brush that out somehow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just used the Lens Blur for the first time and it took perhaps about 15 to 20 seconds on a medium sized raw file but the result was astounding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used the Lens Blur a few more times and  will say I love it but it is rather tasking on the processor. I have the last iMac before the M chips and this must be the first time i was hearing the fan. I initially wondered if it was raining as i was wearing headphones. No crshing on my end though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see a batch version as it takes some time to do.. so we can send off a whole batch of photos to have the lens blur applied and we can walk away let it go through the batch, as going one photo at a time and then waiting is painful. Either that or have it run in the background so we can continue to edit other photos as it is processing the lens blur effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love a way to paint in blur with a brush tool. Also, the auto detect function is having a really hard time seeing edges of glass - In my case it's wine glasses right now. It can detect about 3/4 of the glass and keeps those edges sharp, but the final 1/4 of the edge is blured and makes that part of the glass look like its disappeared. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice filter! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this great feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the tool in generall, but the refine tools drive me ABSOLUTELY NUTS (!). Please add a brush with a selectable color to directly paint the desired 'distance' on a certain spot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only say that I love this new feature both in ACR and Lightroom CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines