• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to what Sean said. I made a quick video about using Lens Blur. Go to the 2:03 mark to see how the Refine brush is used. I think it will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c865o_cgQ0

Learn how to apply realistic depth-of-field using the Lens Blur tool in Lightroom Classic 0:00 Intro 0:19 Apply Blur 0:36 Choose Bokeh Shape 0:54 Choose Focus Point 1:07 Adjust Focal Range 1:35 View Depth Map Overlay 2:03 Refine Blur 2:44 View Before and After 💡 Check out our other resources to ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see a brush off tool as some of the pictures I have tried blurs some of the subject 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the above post to see how you can brush away blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be missing it, but the ability to brush off the blur on certain parts of the image would be helpful.  I have a large family group shot and it wasn't able to distinguish the top of two babies heads so they look like they are being morphed into another dimension.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the above post to see how you can brush away blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur is a great feauture just wish there was an eraser option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great and useful for portrait or macro photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find I'm getting an edge around my subjects that the blur hasn't effected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice it too like the arms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The refine function does not seems to work, trying to "paint" focus back but its just not working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a wonderful tool, and it can only get better.  I learned that if too much bokeh effect is applied, the image looks strange, like it is superimposed on the background.  Use only enough to blur the background, and don’t get carried away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the original image sharp? Lens Blur cannot sharpen a blurry image. It can only work with the range of focus that exists in the original. In other words, You can make a sharp image blurrry but you can't make a blurry image sharp. 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sorry to tell you this lens blur is still an issue with Lrc 13.1 released 15.12.2023 freezing up the Pc on Windows 11 the moment you move a slider it doesn't like it. I will try it again but not hopefull.  However it seems to work ok (but slowly) in Ps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think making the lens blur prioitize people, just like in masking, would be better than prioitizing depth or at least giving the option for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave the lens blur feature a try. It worked very nicely. It determined background as effectively as recent sky selection tools. Although I don't need to replace the background, I appreciate being able to if I want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lensblur has to be linked with masking, i need to be able to brush out parts that the AI doesn't pick up properly. I find the sliders not that intuitive.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the new blur backgroung ability. It would be nice to see in the filmstrip which photos had the blur applied to it but I will definately be using this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if we could also add a brush to this setting. Lightroom selected what part of the picture would get lens blur but it missed a piece of the picture so it does look a little weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like there shoud be some adjustments made to what the AI does with straight lines (like a rope) passing over the subjects face. There are other areas in this photo that is the same distanse from the camera as the subjects ear, but they do not get blurry. It appears the AI sees the rope and thinks anything on the other side should be blurry. 

Screenshot 2023-12-17 105136.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing Blur from 75 to 60 or 50 has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using this feature and it locks up my pc,  and says not responding.  Screen goes black and then comes in and out. My denoise and enhancement features do the same thing. Any help would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost edited work for similar problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the best feature ever, this will make all those expensive lenses we can't afford to look stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes...I said the same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines