• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Très bon résultat sur une photo à 2 niveaux. très content du résultat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very impressive ! It looks good and is convincing images are produced  with this post processing "aperture selection".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 1.36.30 PM.png

I tried 3 images and got this result for all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature! I'd love to see an option in the future that allows you to apply it it multiple images at a time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, currently, I have identified the following issues related to the Lens Blur function when using the Develop mode in LrC (I always use dual monitors, the PC is an HP Zbook with a 17-1265U CPU, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris + NVIDIA T550 GPU with 4 GB dedicated memory and 16 GB shared). Often, I have perviously created masks, for example, for background operations:

• Sometimes the blur analysis phase ends with a message stating that the operation could not be completed due to an issue. From that moment on, the situation often repeats, and the only way to resolve the problem is to exit LrC and re-enter. This happens after applying several blurs to various photos. I have observed that sometimes simply exiting and re-entering LrC is not enough; waiting for some time (waiting for the PC's resource manager to show low RAM, inactive GPU, and minimal CPU usage) seems necessary. It could be a resource management issue where allocated resources are not released.
  • Occasionally, after one or more lens blur operations, a spinning wheel appears near the view mode selector. When this wheel appears, the photo selection in the preview area no longer works (it works for the navigator selection area, works for the second monitor loupe area, but not for the active view of the reference area, i.e., it stays on the last edited photo). The only way to resolve the issue is to exit LrC and re-enter.
  • After applying a Lens Blur (selecting Apply) and then activating depth display, sometimes when I select Blur and start brushing back and forth in an area I want to blur, the system becomes unstable, manifesting the following symptoms:
    • For a few seconds, the LrC window turns black; sometimes, a message appears asking if I want to terminate LrC or wait (I usually wait for the system to recover); I've noticed that in this situation, the CPU is always at 100%.
    • Alternatively, I lose control of the brush; it is impossible to select other commands, and areas of blur that I have never selected are chosen.
    • Similarly, when selecting Light Spot.

Often, I can no longer control the situation and have to exit LrC and then re-enter.

I hope this information can be helpful in improving this very interesting feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die neue Funktion "Objektivunschärfe" in PS ist super, ein echter Mehrwert. Habe sie nur schnell ausprobiert, aber die Ergebnisse überzeugen auf ganzer Linie. Es wäre schön, wenn man die Einstellungen speichern und auf eine Serie anwenden könnte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Improvement to the blending of the blur to the non blure image. Using on a portrait for boka in the background, there is to sharp of a line where the subject meets said background. I then have to manually try to blend the subject to the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the new Lens Blur feature in Camera Raw.  Saves a lot of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this feature is excellent. Would love to see it applied as a batch process, even if a mask is required. Once you can apply this in batch, like the adaptive options, this feature will be fantastic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it and while the automatic depth detection is works pretty well, it would be great if the refinement sliders were a bit more specific. Right now we have a particular "blur" or "focus" amount slider and some standard brush settings. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I'd love to be able to pick a specific "focal range" and paint some pixels to assign them to it. I just had to drop this effect from my picture completely because I couldn't find the right way and values to refine it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if you could apply to more than one image at a time.  It shows it works for auto sync, but when you select the other images it isn't applied. It is listed in the hostory of the image.  Also, it is sooooo slow.  Not sure how others are getting it to work quicky.  Refining takes a long time and it gets hung up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried lens blur for the first time (Lightroom Classic on Desktop). When i selected "apply" it crashed the program and rebooted my computer. I tried a second time - same result. I'll stay away from it until it settles down!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This functionality adds convenience to my workflow, but I've encountered an issue. When applying the lens blur effect, the file size of my image significantly decreases. To illustrate, after completing all my edits, I'm prepared to export the final image as a PNG with a size of 24MB (5472px * 3648px). However, when I apply the blur as the last step before exporting, the PNG file size drops to 13MB (5472px * 3648px). Does anyone know where to look or what might be the problem?  My OS is MacBook Pro 2020, with Sonoma and Intel Iris plus graphics card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new feature, but it would be even better if it was more costumizeble.  Sometimes it doesnt determine the depth correctly. Eg. a small part of a subject is determined to be further away than it is, or a random thing in the background is determined to on the same deepht as the subject and therefore remains sharp upon applying lens blur. 

And that makes it obvius that its AI generated blur. So if the feature makes a small mistake, the tool is completly unusable, cause it looks weird.

I suggest you add a feature where you can, in addition to the "focal range" slider, can mask out the subject manually with a brush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have used this feature a lot in the past couple months & really impressed overall. Adjusting the blur mask beyond more than just a little causes the spinning wheel & slows down my MacbookPro2021.
Features requested:
1) better ability to refine the mask with a depth slider
2) ability to apply mask adjustments from/to masks already refined in the masking area. E.g.- If I've already refined the "Background" mask for other edits, I'd like to be able to copy those refinements onto the Blur mask without having to rebrush them or vice versa. (Usually the Blur mask is a bit more accurate, actually.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works way more effectively after using AI Noise reduction, has trouble with separating depth with high digital noise.
>The slider design is cool, I think I understand the information being displayed but some labelling might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so freaking awesome and easy for beginners. something we would have paid money for in the past to get help and you made my day. Thank you. so easy and it had a busy background but worked out fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adjusting portrait backgrounds in which the photos are consistent through an entire series, I'd like to be able to set the blur adjustments prior to the tool analysing the image.  As there is no batch feature (yet?) it would allow me to apply the blur and then switch over to other tasks rather than wait for a preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lo probe hace un segundo, tengo luminar neo  pero me parecio que ustedes lo superaron .Un gran acierto y muy profesional , me encanto .

lo agradezco muchisimo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loved the quick use . Please add a brush tool in masking Tab too .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature!  I was pleasantly surprised.  My only complaint is how long it takes.  I cleaned up excess files that seemed to be slowing down my system and noticed it was a tiny bit faster, but not exponentially.  If the option to use this was faster, I would definitely say it's worth the effort.  I appreciate how much sharper my subjects look when using this.  That's a HUGE plus in my book.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur is fare away from performing like a real lens bokeh. On portraits the hair is mixed up with background details, which should be blured. Not very useful, just a great waste of time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure where exactly the feature should be put but it feels to be misplaced. But I would expect it below "Effects".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just getting started with it , so far so good. Will describe more once I have tme spent with it on a more regular schedulde.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iUAM przy użyciu rozmycia występuje błąd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines