• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick usage looks fantastic. Right off the bat, one thing I would like to see is an indicator in filmstrip as to which images have lens blur applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, adding the indicator in filmstrip would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the request for indication in the filmstrip??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be super useful so you can see which ones the blur has been applied to.

Derek Morrison
+64 21 139 8188
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

buler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too! On the first glimpse - after a couple of developed images - I am positively surprised. And yes, an indicator would be quite helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if you could apply to more than one image at a time.  It shows it works for auto sync, but when you select the other images it isn't applied. It is listed in the hostory of the image.  Also, it is sooooo slow.  Not sure how others are getting it to work quicky.  Refining takes a long time and it gets hung up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Le temps d'exécution va beaucoup dépendre des performnces de votre ordinateur, personnellement sur iMac 24' M1 avec 16 Go de RAM, la vitesse est satisfaisante avec des raw de 20 méga-pixels.  macOS Sonoma 14.0.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using my 4 year old Microsoft Surface Studio 2 (not laptop) 16 Gig and it is lightning fast.  You may have an excuse to upgrade your hardware?  Just a thought. 
I am happy I just dumped my "pro" 85mm F1.2 lens  because this feature makes it overkill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree; I was pleasantly surprised as to how well this looked. When I first saw the option, I was a little skeptical. An indicator on the film strip would help identify where it has been used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE this feature. It works great for the most part, here are my 2 suggestions.

1. Indicator to see which images are "blured"
  2. A tool to add/remove blur from a certain spot

Very happy about this new feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. there is a tool to add or remove the blur, in refine then select focus or blur just paint in on with the brush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, you really need to be able to mask it off a certain area if it catches a spot you dont want. Or to add it to a apot you do want it more !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add to the selection, but I haven't found out how to deselect an area. Using ctrl or alt just makes LR hang!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add and remove now, not sure if the buttons were just added under the refine option.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.46.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually brought tears to my eyes. Been waiting for this... I am so happy and my portraits will be now to to the next level

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes we need to be able to REMOVE/ADD just like the other masks. Stray hairs get chopped off but look very much fake and I need to get some of them back. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! The feature works great but occasionally can't differentiate parts of the file correctly. Here's an example - chimney on the barn gets blurred.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 6.27.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking this through, the barn, including its chimney, existed as a mask before the lens blur was added. Should the lens blur should have excluded all of that mask from its effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true. If you check the colored areas, I do not understand why the purple areas are still included in the process - even if the choosen range is clearly out of purple... It should be fixed and it is absolutly neccesary to be able to add/remove areas.

IMG_20240118_075054.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. The head of the small sculpture in the background is missing. VF-20240207-DSCF0456.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that changing the depth of focus sometimes helps. The chimney in this photo might just be out of that range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply - I did try that: LR thinks the chimney is an object much further away than the barn. The Refine/Focus feature cleaned it up perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines