• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Tethering support requests and information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is applicable to Lightroom Classic.

ETAs for tethered support for specific cameras are not available.

Tethered Capture is a feature of Lightroom Classic that allows the direct connection of your camera to the Lightroom desktop environment. Images are imported into your Lightroom catalog as they are captured via the connected camera. 

New camera support for reading the raw files is generally added quickly after a camera is released by its manufacturer.  New camera support can be verified here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the functionality of the SDK and tests tethering before support is announced.

To see if your camera is supported for tethering on your version of Lightroom, refer to this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

If your camera is listed, but your Lightroom version is too old, you may need to update or upgrade to enable tethering.

If your camera is not listed, and your camera’s raw file isn't supported, you would need to check with the camera’s manufacturer to see if they support tethering via their SDK. 

Note: Not all camera manufacturers or models will necessarily receive tether support.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 400 Replies 400
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't look like it sadly 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like to know when  will LR Classic support Nikon z9 tethered capture ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe never tells us in advance. We don't know

But the delay is almost always because Nikon has not supplied the proper software to Adobe to allow tethering. Please read this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/when-will-tethering-be-available-for-th...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When can we expect Lightroom classic tethering for Canon R3?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering is a no brainer feature that you just need for your camera.

I hope this feature will be added asap for the EOS R5 C so that I can go back to my normal workflow on set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Agree 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still waiting ... ridiculous

no one needs to wonder why people are increasingly looking for alternatives to adobe ... i'm teathering with capture one now and wonder why i'm still paying for an adobe subscription. I do video editing with davinci resolve, in the studio I'll probably work with capture one, actually there's only indesign, illustrator and photoshop... and there's a good alternative for each adobe relies too much on user convenience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we still waiting for this? I still can't use my R5C tethered with Lightroom Classic....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still does not work. Apparently Adobe has no interest in implementing this and does not respond to user requests, as it seems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe dont care about what we want or not  .. as long we are stupid enough to pay every month

i theather now with capute one ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't make cameras or the various camera software.  Those are variables that fall beyond Adobe's level of influence.  For best results, consult your camera maker's documentation and use their recommended tethering software. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're saying it's Canon's fault that tethering still doesn't work with the Canon EOS R5 C? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying every camera is progammed differently.  What works for one make & model does NOT always work for all makes & models.  Unless the industry adopts universal standards, the only solution is to use the most compatible software and accessories for your particular camera.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Team,

Please please please make tethering available for the Nikon Z9 in Lightroom Classic!

It's now 4 months after its release & I was hoping it would be supported by this point as the camera has been out since late December 2021 & was camera of the year in 2021.

Myself & other pros are currently having to use older Nikon Cameras for our commercial clients or switch to Capture One which isn't ideal.

I'm using the latest Mac Monterey 12.3.1 & Lightroom 11.3.1

Please make it happen, your hard work is appreciated & valued.

Kindly,

Jeremie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until the feature is available, there is an easy work-around.  Install Nikon Tether (free), then set LRC to automatically import photos from the folder that Tether uses. You can then use the shutter release or the Tether to activate the shutter (or whatever it's now called given there is no physical shutter).  It takes about 2 second for the image to show up on my Intel-chipped MBP.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been well over a year now - This should be sorted by now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an embarrassment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is a huge corporation, so you have to understand that this lack of tethering for higher-end models is NOT a mistake. It is strategy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera manufacturer needs to provide an SDK if it should go fast. And as said, not all cameras get tethering.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At over £5,000 for Nikon's flagship camera I can't see how they wouldn't work to make tethering possible with Lightroom. It works with NX tether which is a good workaround but it is still a workaround with an extra step. 
(currently using this work around to shoot some lovely chocolates; so hard not to eat them, but client may be annoyed...😂)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer sees photographers as a priority because they see the writing on the wall. AI is where they are putting all their resources and they understand that at some point much, but not all, of what we do as photographers will become obsolete. That is why Adobe can take these liberties with us. We just are not as important to their future bottom like as we once were and they know most of us are not going to jump ship on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE get Canon EOS R5C update so we can tether with lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous. Lors de mes shooting en studio. J'utilise souvent la capture en mode connecté de lightroom afin que les clients puisse voir le résultat en grand, directement à la prise de vue. Jusqu'au canon R5 cela allait mais je suis passé du R5 au R5C depuis juillet et depuis, et malgré les dernières mises à jour de Lightroom et Firmware de Canon, le boitier reste encore aujourd'hui indétectable. Quelqu'un saurait-il de quel moyen remédier à ce problème, ou quelqu'un a déjà eu ce problème avec ce boîtier ?  

[merging with an already existing thread for this topic - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the R5C among the supported models: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

Also, read here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-tethering-support-requests-and-inform...

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines