• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos appear pixelated

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All images on Lightroom appear pixelated if you zoom far enough (800% or so).

However if you are on develop module and you press F (fullscreen) they get unpixelated.

And that unpixelated version is what you get when you export them.

So I am listing it as a bug not only because, while I am editing, I don't see what I will export, but also because I don't like pixelated pictures.

The only way that I know to get the unpixelated version while editing is to set the zoom to "fit" and have the "use GPU for display" unchecked. Of course you can notice that only on small crops.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean when you say pixelated? Do you mean actual image pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think photos are supposed to look pixelated at 800%. Not a bug.

The way to get the a completely unpixelated view is to view at 100% (or 1:1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you view an image at 800%, 16 screen pixels are used to display one image pixel, so it will be pixellated. That's how pixel based images work. It is not a bug.

To see a true representation of the image, view it at 100%, where one screen pixel is displayed using one screen pixel.

When you press F, the image fits the screen, and the magnification will be much less than 800%, usually less than 100%.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude what are you smoking? When you press F the image doesn't fit on the screen it retains the zoom level.

Don't put all your efford at typing words actually try to reproduce what the OP has written first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways to change behavior of the F key. It seems as if you have accidentally set it to something you don't like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press F from Develop, I get a black screen.

When I press F from Library, I can view it at 800%, which looks exactly the same as when I view at 800% in Develop.

The screenshot I posted above is at 800%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's why I said to press F on develop module. I was specific. If you get a black screen try to zoom out a bit.

Also you can compare how the image looks exported and how it looks inside lightroom. Your image probably had bad original quality that's why it looks pixelated. My images of the same size don't look pixelated at all when exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is from a sharp image taken with a medium format camera.

But any image will be pixelated when viewed at 800%.

My exported images always look the same as in LrC if I export without resizing and don't apply output sharpening.

Please post screenshots at 100% view of the image in Develop, and the exported image (also at 100%).

Do not attach the screenshots, use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar to embed them in your post.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you view an image at 800%, 16 screen pixels are used to display one image pixel,

It is actually 64 pixels at 800%. The math is 8x8. Just making sure people know it is even worse. 800% is an extreme zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that correction, I wasn't sure if 16 was the right number.

So I had to try this in Photoshop, and a 10 x 10 image (100 pixels) enlarged to 800% results in an 80 x 80 image (6400 pixels).

So you're absolutely right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines