Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop to lightroom storage location

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can anyone help me with this issue?

I edit a large number of images every week for delivery to clients, i do the majority of my edits in lightroom but frequently need the features of photoshop for mocking content in, removal of distractions etc..

Basically all the stuff lightroom cant do.

The issue i am having is that despite all my images in lightroom being on either external drives or on my server, when I have finished my photoshop edits and save the file it saves to my computers internal drive and not the location where all of my images are actually stored. this is constanly resulting in filling up my various machines with large Tiff files for what i can see is no valid reason.

I cant find any settings that alter this behaviour.

Any help greatly apreaciated

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos sent from Lightroom Classic and then saved by PS will create an "-Edit" version of the file in the same folder as the original. This cannot be changed as far as I know. On the other hand, if you do a Save As... in Photoshop, then the photo can be saved in any folder you specify.

Are you talking about Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)? What version NUMBER?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to expand on that:

While the image seen in Photoshop is NOT yet saved anywhere, this is apparent because the PS document window is titled perforce according to the SOURCE file from which it derives - say, a camera Raw - and not as a TIFF or PSD. In this situation Save and Save As are substantially the same thing, except that Save uses LR's default for the location, filename and filetype that is to be produced and auto-imported back into Lightroom - while Save As gives you the opportunity to customise location, filename and filetype if you want. 

Once PS is referring to an already-saved file - using "Save" further, updates that on disk. Lightroom notices each such file update, and reflects visible changes suitably.

But "Save As" would now just create a further new file on disk; and this one, Lightroom will know nothing about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines