Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel Dimension OM??

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm new to Lightroom so excuse the query if it's an obvious one! I have exported a RAW file in Lightroom, saved as a .Jpeg and opened up in Photoshop. When I go to Image Size I am seeing Pixel Dimensions in OM? I have never seen this abreviation before, I was expecting to see MB.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.21.30.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's 144.0  M, which I assume is megabytes.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"That's 144.0  M, which I assume is megabytes."

To be more exact: it is the image size in memory as an uncompressed 50.32 MP 8bit image. What we call an "8 bit RGB image is actually 8 bits per channel and since 8 bits = 1 byte that makes 3 bytes per pixel.

50,320,896 pixels X 3 bytes = 151 million bytes and after allowing for the fact that 1,024 bytes = 1 KB and 1,024 KB = 1 MB we get 144 MB. This is the size that the file will be if it is written to disc as an uncompressed "8 bit" Tiff or PSD. Because a Jpg is always compressed, it will be much smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines