• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor Develop module performance on new retina iMac

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the Develop module operation are extremely slow on my retina iMac.  This machine has the 4.0 GHz processor and upgraded GPU.  It should be very fast, and in fact for operations such as import, export, and preview creation it is.  But for Develop module functions it is much slower than my Mac Mini and my wife's Macbook Air.  When moving adjustment sliders, there is a delay of a second or more before the effect is seen on screen.  The same operation on the other computers is nearly instantaneous.  I am running version 5.6, but I went back and tried it with version 4.4 as well with the same result.  Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?  Apple support says contact Adobe, but I haven't found any way to contact Adobe directly; I keep getting directed to the forums.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a 32GB 4GB GFX 5k 27" i7 Retina back in October.  I was very disappointed for the reasons mentioned in this post and quite a few other reasons too.  For example the processor fan would start - just browsing a slide show, and would be on full time running video.  My conclusions are that LR and PS were not designed with 5k resolution in mind, so there is quite a bit of catching up to do to meet this demand.  The concept was a big leap by Apple, and frankly rather an optimistic one with the available current processors.  Basically we are talking about filling a 54 inch screen, and if you have a huge telly in your house, you will realise that this is a massive leap, pixel for pixel.

I was upgrading from a beefy standard resolution late 2012 27" iMac which I was going to use elsewhere, but in the end I decided to return the Retina iMac.  Nearly £3k is a lot to pay for what amounted to a performance step backwards, all for the sake of sharpening a perfectly sharp enough image anyway, and the hope of gaining a bit more real estate with some applications. After three weeks struggling with it, it was a huge relief to get back in the old 'Ferrari', my 3TB Fusion iMac.

I might be tempted eventually, but my gut feeling is that the future of super fast 5k is at least two years away, probably three to reach optimum and effortless performance.

So I am very happy now to stick with what I've got. It's super fast and I am in my comfort zone.  If you want performance, get a souped up standard resolution 27" iMac and be amazed, rather than disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to buy an imac for pixel perfect Photoshop work for web, heavy sessions of Lightroom (done occasionally), a lot of movie watching and some casual gaming in bootcamp and/or natively. I was thinking to use an external monitor for the pixel perfect work in Photoshop. But since LR is a no-go and watching a movie retina vs. non-retina starts to be all the same from +3m distance...  the 5k seems to be an expensive, not so justified, choice.

I am inclining more towards a full spec non-retina 27" imac. But it hasn't been updated since autumn 2013. It feels like the wrong moment to buy one now... It could use a newer GPU...

Do you think the non-retina imac will be updated this spring, this autumn or....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more than a little silly to write of the 5k iMac because one piece of software doesn't work well. Photoshop works like a dream, by the way. It's just Lightroom that's a bit glitchy at full resolution on full size.

Lightroom works perfectly at either 2/3 of the screen or if you take the resolution down a little.

i agreed that needs sorting by Adobe but writing off the whole computer...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop mostly for small details web work and retina doesn't help my case. I either have to work everything at double the size which is a pain, or keep switching resolutions, or external displays. Or switch to something like Sketch, which imo is not mature enough yet.

It feels like I will have to do all sorts of workarounds around that 5k, rather than using it natively...  I was looking forward to game on it, as the framerate is buttery smooth at 1/4 of the 5k, and the density handles the downscaling really nice. The updated GPU is also tempting... So it's a mixed bag for a premium price. That's why I was looking towards the non-retina one and wondering when will they update it... if Apple doesn't decide to switch to Retina for everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be glad to hear the 5k handles Photoshop just fine then. It's Lightroom and (I hear) Illustrator that have the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that you can determine per application whether it opens in full resolution mode (see Frequently asked questions about using a Retina display - Apple Support). There it says in the Get Info of the application, you can set a flag for that:

retina_low_res.png

When doing so, the performance of Lightroom seems to be OK again.

I would be curious to find out how the results looks like, does it look like you would have the "normal" screen? Anybody that can make a screen dump or a photo of the result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The performance of LR on an iMac with Retina is a nightmare. And even worse: Adobe doesn't seem to care  (so far).

I tried every suggested solution I found in forums:

- 100 GB Cache

- Close all other programs

- Reset the PRAM

- And I refuse to work on a smaller window or change the resolution. It would be ridiculous to have a Retina-display and do that.

Nothing worked. I wished, I would have kept my old iMac without Retina

Or does anybody has a different idea?

Thank you, tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening Lightroom in Low Res helps massively. All of a sudden the program, sliders feels more responsive, etc......This is a good temporary solution but this is not what I bought the retina iMac for.

I want to work on full res without problems. I don't mind waiting if we need to wait until Adobe gets the problem sorted. However, the lack of communication and acknowledgement on Adobe's side is below par and certainly not up to the level of support I would expect from my monthly £50.

SPEAK adobe! TALK to your users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guillermo Ibanez wrote:

Opening Lightroom in Low Res helps massively. All of a sudden the program, sliders feels more responsive, etc......This is a good temporary solution but this is not what I bought the retina iMac for.

I want to work on full res without problems. I don't mind waiting if we need to wait until Adobe gets the problem sorted. However, the lack of communication and acknowledgement on Adobe's side is below par and certainly not up to the level of support I would expect from my monthly £50.

SPEAK adobe! TALK to your users

Some time back it has been stated that this issue is on the radar. Just like new camera models, sometimes compatibility can take longer than other times depending on the development cycle.

Know that it is being worked on and will most likely come with the widely rumoured Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I finally talked to somebody at Adobe (miracles happen...). They are aware of that problem and it will be solved with LR & PS 6.0 which should have been out already and will hit the market very soon.

Let's hope and see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not see my comment above??? PS has nothing to do with Lightroom apart from a naming convention.

Just be patient.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Amazing. I guess you know more about their products than somebody working at Adobe PS&LR Development unit (which by the way is the same)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you know that PS 6.0 was released in 2000?? Lets just say I know more than you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Rivatom. No reason to doubt what you say so I feel encouraged. Do you happen to know if LR6 will be subscribers only or will a buy-once option exist for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lr6.0 is released it will be the same as the current version i.e. available on CC subscription and as a perpetual license option..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so Petapixel rumours (http://petapixel.com/2015/02/19/lightroom-6-leak-shows-gpu-use-for-faster-editing-panorama-and-hdr-c...) indicate that Lightroom 6 is imminent (9 March?) and it will utilise the GPU, particularly in the Develop module.

I think this is the fix we've been seeking for our iMac 5k performance, folks.  Fingers crossed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently installed my own Retina iMac (i5, 970, 32GB), and I must say I don't see any significant performance degradation compared to my previous Mac Pro 3,1 2008 (on 36MPx D800 files, not the smallest ones).

Some speed improvements where all actions on sliders are real time would be highly appreciated. Now it takes like 0,5 to 1 second before the effect of a slider visualizes. It's workable, but not compliant to a state-of-the-art computer.

Looking forward to Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporary 'solutions' for everyone:

1) Render 1:1 previews on import (or just before the task that is slow. e.g. if cropping is slow, render 1:1 previews then crop).

This often helps but doesn't fix all the slowness.

Other solutions for Macbooks only:

2) Quickres app, runs in menubar, allows you to quickly change resolution. Using non-HiDPI resolutions (i.e. non-retina resolutions) such as 1920*1080 makes LR lightening fast. http://www.quickresapp.com/

3) Connect non-retina external display (e.g. cheap 1920*1080 monitor), ensure Macbook charger is plugged in, close Macbook lid (AKA closed clamshell mode), now the external monitor is the only active display & will perform well for LR.

Past experience:

I've tried re-installing LR, changing cache size, resetting PRAM, etc. But have failed to speed LR up each time.

Using an app to change resolution when I use LR has been my best 'solution' so far. External monitor w/ clamshell works too, as does resizing LR window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder (hope/pray) that this issue will be solved with today's release of LR6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's fixed!!!!

Just upgraded to LR6 on my 5K Retina iMac and the Develop module is now super fast (well, I was using it in molasses before so now it seems like lightning speed). YAY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So great! Downloading now. Looking forward to the speed bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - a quick piece of info that might help people use the GPU enhancements from Lightroom CC.  When I checked in Lightroom under 'Edit - Preferences' then 'Performance' I found a button for 'System Info' and discovered that my laptop wasn't using the graphics card automatically for Lightroom and therefore Lightroom was not seeing and using the graphics processor - not ideal.  I have an Nvidia card and in their control panel you have an option to use either the in-built graphics or the GPU or automatic choice and Lightroom was not represented.  Telling the Nvidia control panel to force Lightroom to use the enhanced graphics (i.e. default to video card) meant that suddenly Lightroom recognised the card and started using it.  But this was not set by default.

One to watch for if you aren't seeing the performance enhancements that others are in LR6.

(note: I had to update my video card drivers before the necessary version of OpenGL was supported - that was a pain!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having slowdown issues in the Develop module on my 5K iMac with the new Lightroom CC.  For the first time ever using Lightroom, the photo disappears for a second to redraw when I am editing in Develop, and it is really frustrating.  I did various things like make sure the video card GPU was checked in preferences, the cache is 100GB, etc, and I have a fast machine with 24GB of Ram.  I thought performance would improve with Lightroom CC, but now it seems I am going backwards....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 5K iMac was glacial in Develop before the update to LR CC. Now it's finally usable. I do get a big delay and a strangely placed "black box" when switching back and forth between Develop and Library modules, but that's a small tradeoff for actually being able to use the slider controls in Develop, which was so laggy before that I had to just use the arrow keys. I have 32GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I've been waiting since I bought my 5k imac before Christmas for the main piece of software I use on it to work properly.

And I'm pleased to report that now it does.  Early indications indicate a dramatic improvement - it's actually really quick now.

I get a momentary blip when I switch between library and develop but it momentary.

Really pleased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines