• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems seeing pictures imported before fixing a computer problem

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 5/Lightroom CC and have several thousands of pictures imported to Lightroom. I had a problem with my computer  (in case it is important- a Mac Book Pro) a couple of months ago and when resolving that problem, at a quick glance, looked like everything was all set as I could see the pictures I thought I should see in the photo strip of pictures but did not try t look at them in the library or development module at the time. Since then, I noticed that all the folders I had are no longer listed even though all the pictures are there, and when I look at all pictures imported prior to the problem with the computer, they present as broken up when looking at them in the library or development module. All pictures imported since fixing my computer seem to be operating as I would expect but I am finding that I can not seem to create a folder for them to go into so I am just importing them with key words to search for them through that mechanism. Someone I talked to suggested that all my older imported pictures are now showing as "thumbnails" but I do not know how to revert them back or get past that so I can work with the pictures again- any help would be aprreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of the problem.

I had a problem with my computer a couple of months ago

What was the problem? Please give us details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how to show you a "screen capture" of the problem. As for what was the problem with the computer- I do not know if I was hit with a virus but the computer got slower and slower and then eventually went so I could not get past a blackened screen. I took it to a local Apple authorized tech service and they ended up basically having to re-install my programs to the default setting. I did ask them to help me be sure I had Lightroom working again and as I said, sitting with them I could see the pictures in the photo strip at the bottom of the sreen and did not think at the time, to take the time to look more closely as to whether everything was the same as prior to my computer freeze up and the re-installation. I am not a computer savvy person and do not know how to tell you more precisely what the problem was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen capture of what you see would be really helpful.

Out of the blind: I would say that after the problen has been solved, that LR did not have anymore the respective catalog attached. It may be now that you have 2 catalog databases: the one before the crash and the one after... You will need to merge them. (File->import from catalog).

Before trying anything out, backup the catalog files. This aloows going back if anything goes wrong.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.01.34 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screen shot to give you an example of what I am seeing with the notation of "file could not be found"... If the issue is I need to merge- I will try to do as you suggest and merge the two- I do keep back ups...Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there is no screen shot attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what to do- I am seeing the screen shot three replies above ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the screen capture ... the File Cannot Be Found message is the key piece of information. You need to first find these files using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. Do you know the exact folder name where these photos are located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had them in  "folders", if you will, in LR otherwise they are not in any specific computer based files unless I had exported them to my computer-which in general, I had done filed in a "Lightroom adjusted" file... Anyway, I also know that I would import the pictures from my camera to both LR and my computer photo app- so all these pictures that I am now struggling to see in LR would be there in my computer as well. Your comment makes me think I need to check and see what the status of my computer based Lightroom adjusted file is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janhm  wrote

I had them in  "folders", if you will, in LR otherwise they are not in any specific computer based files unless I had exported them to my computer-which in general, I had done filed in a "Lightroom adjusted" file... Anyway, I also know that I would import the pictures from my camera to both LR and my computer photo app- so all these pictures that I am now struggling to see in LR would be there in my computer as well. Your comment makes me think I need to check and see what the status of my computer based Lightroom adjusted file is...

Hi, I'm sorry to be picky, but I asked a simple YES or NO question, and your answer doesn't easily translate into YES or NO. So, I ask again:

You need to first find these files using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. Do you know the exact folder name where these photos are located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I guess I do not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please search for this file by file name. Use your operating system's search feature to search all disks for file(s) with this file's name.

Do you have backups of these photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Will do. I have backed up all of my previous pictures/computer and will look to see what I can do to retrieve off my back up hard drive- thank you for the input. I just thought since the pictures seemed to be showing in the photo strip in Lightroom, that they were there, some how but now realizing there is more missing from prior to my computer problem and will work now to try and restore all those other things as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be aware, that Lightroom dos not take the pictures and store them in the database. Import means only that either LR learns about where to find the image file or that the image file is copied where specified in your file system structure. If you delete thise files or move them outside of Lightroom to a new destination, LR has no possibility to know where to find the file. This is basically what you're experiencing.

LR can reattach the file to his database, if you can tell LR where the file is located. Best would be, however, to copy or move the files to theis original location and move them where you want to have them using the file manipulation tools of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you- this is all making more sense- certainly the hard way, but none the less, a learning experience... Thanks for yours and dj paige's input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let us know if you need further help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines