• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

prolems selecting sky in LR 6

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using LR 6 and am having problems properly selecting the sky in my pictures. I create a mask with density 100, flow 100, mask out the sky using auto-mask, then reduce the brightness of the sky or increase the blue saturation of the sky. Problem is that that the sky almost always includes tree branches and LR leaves a "border" of sorts around the tree branches - an area which is not selected. So when I make my adjustment, it leaves a hard edge along the tree branches. I've tried using feather of 0 and I've tried using larger values for feather, but I can never seem to get a selection that goes right up against the branches like I want.

The second, related, problem is that when I use auto-mask to select the sky, it often results in what is a sort of "spotty" mask (with the mask color enabled). That is, some of the pixels are not selected leaving a spotty or grainy mask. The only fix I have found is, after making my selection, zooming in to 100% and disabling auto-mask and re-masking the areas that are spotty until all pixels are masked properly.

I've been demo'ing Capture One after becoming disillusioned with the death of LR standalone and it doesn't seem to have this problem. It can also reduce highlights in an image (in this case, the sky) without affecting the rest of the image whereas reducing highlights in LR seems to affect the mid-tones some too. Maybe there's a way to do something like this in LR instead of masking the sky and trying to tweak it separately?

How do I fix these two problems?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

With Lightroom 6 there's no better way to do it. In Lightroom CC Classic the masking is extended.

Take a look here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-classic-october-2017-70/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

The other way is to do the masking and the correction of the sky in Photoshop. There are a lot of different option to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom 6 there's no better way to do it. In Lightroom CC Classic the masking is extended.

Take a look here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-classic-october-2017-70/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

The other way is to do the masking and the correction of the sky in Photoshop. There are a lot of different option to do this.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select subject and select sky are not available on this device problem please help me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"on this device"  what device?

Please include the following in your question:
Adobe product and Version number.
Operating system and Version number
The full text of any Error Message(s)
What you were doing when the problem occurred
Screenshots of the problem.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines