Exit

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr-QuickTips.png

Optimizing LrC preferences for better performance

Did you know you can easily optimize your Lightroom Classic preferences for better performance? 

Open Lightroom Classic Preferences 

• macOS: Lightroom Classic > Preferences > Performance
  • Windows: Edit > Prefereces > Performance

Optimize your performance

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.38.56 PM.png

• Increase the Camera Raw Cache to 10GB
  • Enable/check the option to Use Smart Previews instead of Orignals for image editing
  • Optimiz your catalog if it has been a while. 
  • Disable/Uncheck the option to Generate Previews in parallel

Relaunch Lightroom Classic

Once your catalog has completed the optimization proccess, relaunch Lightroom Classic for changes to take effect. 

For more ways to optimize your Lightroom Classic catalog check out these helpful steps in our Optimize performance article. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful. Really good info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it's really helpful. Really good information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing it a great idea! <a href="https://pgslot-game.cc/">click to mine, thanks</a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tips for speeding up LRC really worked for me. Thank you for the good information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic regularly uses 10.35 gig of memory on my M1 Mac.  I don't think the problem started with 11.1 though, not sure. The catalog is not large at all, and I'm editing a group of 12 RAW photographs.  See snapshot of Utility Monitor.  Is this memory leaks or considered normal?  I'm up to date on the OS, evverything really.   Thank you.  (PS: I was going to start a new thread on this but can't find the "new thread" command alas.)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Art M.

LRC shouldn't be using 10.35G of memory! LRC (ver 11.1) uses 1.2 G of memory on  my system. Even Photoshop uses less than 5G. I don't know what the problem is, but that sounds like too much memory usage to me. Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much memory LR uses is related to how much you have available (as well as your settings, particulary in PS preferences). I have 128GB in my new (nearly loaded) Mac Studio, and LR and PS commonly use 50-60GB each, and I've seen LR get up to 95GB prior to freezing. Apple's powerful new machines are rending bare Adobe's poor coding and ongoing bugs that have plagued the programs for YEARS. Adobe seems not to be able to (permanently) get rid of the GPU memory leaks in LR, while adressing features and bugs that do not relate directly to the performance degradations that we've all be suffering through for years. Importing/exporting may have gotten a bit faster with the 'new' (cough!) Apple Silicon versions, but little else has changed; waiting up to 10 seconds to render at 1:1 is just plain silly, and affects my day-today massively. 

If only there were an alternative that was a true contender to replace LR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent information.

My only question or concern is regarding standard-size previews. The heading says to keep them "as small as possible," but then says stay closest to the screen resolution. With so many 4k, 5k, and 6k monitors, this equates to rather large preview files and thus large Lightroom Catalogs, which can slow down a system.

Advice?

Warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How disable/uncheck the option to "Generate Previews in parallel" is expected to speed up operations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These images do not match what is on my screen. I go to prefences and it is just graphic card information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are seeing this-

2022-09-17 08_25_39-PreferencesDialog.jpg

Then you are using Lightroom (-Desktop. The 'Cloud' Version).

The images given for "Quick Tips", and the hints, are for Lightroom-Classic.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines