• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radial masks stay round when image is transformed (perspective correction)

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just checking out how much distortion my 16mm lens and camera tilt angle are producing. I placed circles on a wall. I used the radial mask to make perfect circles for comparison. When I transform the image (perspective correction), the radial mask stay circular, incorrectly.  The blue circles are all the same size initally. The orange circles are all the same size initially. After transforming, the radius does vary as expected..

Lightroom 13.3.1

Mac OS 14.5, Macbook Air, M1 chip

As shot (tilt 12 degrees down)

20240614-IMG_9743check circles.jpg

Corrected perspective. Look at the lower lright circle in particular.

20240614-IMG_9743LR trans.jpg

Way over corrected. The radial masks are still circular. Look at the lower right one agained.

20240614-IMG_9743exagerate LR trans.jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a an example that is more obvious - an oval radial mask along the diagonal really does not transform as expected:

I don't know if the shape is the same, but the mask is way too large in the transformed virtual copy.

20240614-IMG_9743oval.jpg

20240614-IMG_9743oval LR trans.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this is not a bug, but 'as desigend'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Radial Filters are actually Ellipses.  A circle is a special type of ellipse.  To correct for the tilt the shape would have to become egg shaped so can not be represented by an elliptical Radial so LrC keeps the Radial the the same shape as before the Transform.   You should Transform before using the Radial.   This is as designed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most people, the masks staying circles (in my first post) is good enough. In the second post, the elongaged ellipse is really outside of an acceptible range. The nice thing about LR is that [for 99% of the time] it doesn't matter in which order you do the panels in. The only other case I can think of is AI masks like Sky and object removal.  Anyway, that 1% is confusing.

The brush mask stuggles a bit, but less than the radial mask. The object selection mask is perfect when transformed. The radial mask does not behave like the other masks. Avoiding egg shapped masks was an unfortunate design choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A poor functionality in Transform is the Radial Filter does not rotate when you use Rotate in Transform.  Rotating a Radial in Transform/Rotate should be easy to implement as it should be mathematically the same as just rotating the Radial in the Masking Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines